Periodontal disease

Status
Not open for further replies.

USNRET

Verified Member
Feb 8, 2013
Fort Wayne, Indiana
I posted this in another threrad!
I'm 62 and and have 10 of my own teeth the rest are plastic and cast medal (partial dentures), most if not all were removed due to bone loss due to smoking, my teeth one by one would start to loosen up, I can remember one tooth got so loose I was able to wiggle it and pulled it myself, yes it took many years for this to happen and many packs of cigs. Now I'm 66 days being analog free and and vaping, I can tell a big differance in the stability of my 10 remaing teeth, two were a little loose before I quit and now they are not near as loose if loose at all. I see a few posts ""how much money have you spent on smoking/vaping"" well I know I have spent a .... load of money on smoking and another .... load on dential work and just a little cheek pinch on vaping. So by quiting and saving the last 10 teeth I at least have somthing to anchor my partial dentures to, is got to be better than full dentures.

It's not scientific data, but my dentist didn't say anything.

Since he went on and on about smoking and only commented that my gums were looking much healthier since using the e-cig, I'm taking this as a good sign. Some of my gum recession is actually starting to regenerate!

longbraids

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2013
Colville Wa,USA
I smoked for yikes 30 yrs, have only lost two teeth, but had bad gums for last ten years.(deep cleanings needed pricey and painful) Have been vaping four months just went to dentist got a full exam and was told gums look very good just minor cleaning needed. Good enough evidence for me to give it a thumbs up.

Beowoulf

Verified Member
Aug 13, 2013
San Diego
Since vaping is rather new, studies on nicotine and periodontal disease have been done with tobacco. As we all know, there is a difference between vaping and smoking. Having said that, you don't lose teeth only due to smoking and nicotine. Proper oral care on a daily basis and regular visits to your dentist is the key. There are those that are more predisposed to periodontal disease and the chemicals in smoke do add to the overall degradation of oral tissues but they are not the only cause. I would suggest using some Xylitol gum or mints on a regular basis to both increase salivary flow and help with the bacteria that cause periodontal disease but be aware that too much Xylitol will give you ......... And yes, I am a dentist, so I know what I am talking about.

USNRET

Verified Member
Feb 8, 2013
Fort Wayne, Indiana
I posted back in April! I'm 221 days into my quit only vaping, Cleanings were very painful when I smoked I always had a few deep pockets of Periodontal disease!! Had my teeth cleaned last week and all 10 teeth are good and stable now, gums are pink and no deep pockets of Periodontal disease as was the case when I smoked numbers were 3s and 4s (I get my teeth cleaned 4 times a year). Could be smoking was not the only thing that caused my teeth to go south but I think NO!! I'm SURE smoking was the biggest part of my Periodontal disease and tooth loss. So say what you will or say what you might but if you keep smoking your teeth will look like a fright!

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
I'm not a doctor - or a dentist - but I will say this:

The "best" thing, mouth-wise, is breathing only clean, fresh air. Vaping still has the potential to dry out your mouth, and dry mouth isn't the very best thing for your teeth - but it IS a TON better than inhaling nasty smoke combined with a few thousand carcinogens. Staying hydrated helps, a LOT. I *think* that smoking dried my mouth out a LOT more than vaping, but I normally drink a lot of water throughout the day, so YMMV.

Again, my opinion only.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread