Status
Not open for further replies.

DonDaBoomVape

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2009
South Florida
www.VapingGuides.com
As you may already know, PG is Propylene Glycol – used in food flavorings, cosmetics, the artificial “smoke” at rock concerts, and, yes, antifreeze. [No, we are not inhaling antifreeze (shudder), just one of its ingredients.] VG is Vegetable Glycerin – more syrupy, and derived from veggies.

Before reading the rest of my post, let me offer a search tip: in the small Google Custom Search box at the top right of most ECF pages, type in: +pg +vg. That yields many ECF threads, which appear to be directly on point.

What follows here is taken from Part 3 of my WWV Illustrated Guide and deals primarily with where to get VG, with only a few comments about differences between the two:

PG vs. VG

The nicotine and flavoring are the ingredients that make our world go round, but what gets vaporized is the base liquid. In most cases, this is PG. But some people are allergic. You’ll know soon enough and it’s usually nothing serious. Symptoms vary, but can include: dry or sore throat, muscle cramps and aches, ........, night sweats, and rash (usually not all at once or in the same person, thank goodness). If you experience any of these:

1. Consult with your doctor (I ain’t no MD), certainly if it is anything other than mild discomfort and/or it continues for several days. [Sounds like the back label of a bottle of over-the-counter meds, doesn’t it … but there is a good reason they do that, you know.]

2. Explore the Health, Safety and E-Smoking forum, especially its most-read thread: A List of Common Symptoms when E-smoking. Recommended for all new vapers. There are lots of “interesting” symptoms (some of them really nice) often associated with stopping smoking and starting vaping, only a few of which are PG-related.

3. Try VG-based liquid … or PEG (Polyethelene Glycol) ... or ECOpure (brand name of a purported very pure UK-manufactured mixture consisting of VG, ethyl maltol, and nicotine … and no PG).
Even if you are not allergic to PG, you might prefer VG or those others. Conventional wisdom is that PG packs more flavor and throat hit, but VG generates more vapor. [When I mix my own juice, I use both.]
  • iVapour-Elixir also carries PEG, as does Nuvape.com (they call it NON-PG). [NOTE: iVapour-Elixir says this about PEG: “Seems to have more vapour* production than PG liquid, and might suit PG allergy sufferers too (though VG liquid is recommended for those who are PG sensitive).”]
* I hope that ECF members across the pond will take note of (and appreciate) the fact that I overrode my American-English spell checker and let this British spelling stand.J
[I’ll be providing links to many more suppliers of e-liquid (mainly PG-based) in Part 5, but I wanted to give a head start to those who may be PG-allergic.]

Since then, I discovered a couple additional very inexpensive VG juice suppliers in the U.S. that I talked about in Part 6:
  • Cignot, which also sells the 510 and parts for the Evo (M401). Terri and Vicky carry a broad range of ECOpure juice at about the same $1/ml prices as Intellicig-USA.com (although Cignot offers a 30 ml size for a bit less than $1/ml). But the reason I’m bringing Cignot to your attention, is the pricing on their China-manufactured juice – among the best: $9 for a 20 ml bottle = 45¢/ml (less than my demanding benchmark). Shipping is a flat $5 per order. They carry both PG juice and VG juice, each in every flavor imaginable.
  • Tasty Vapor is a new supplier who has excellent prices for US-mixed e-liquid ($15 for a 30 ml bottle, i.e. meeting my 50¢/ml benchmark). [Actually, Geoff doesn’t think in terms of milliliters, but ounces. He sells 1 oz. bottles of e-liquid.]
But the really exciting (and cost-saving) offering is his “doublers”: 4 oz. (i.e., 120 ml) bottles of flavored 0mg juice (PG, VG, and PG+VG) for only $12/bottle, intended to be used to cut his high-nicotine (30mg or 45mg) e-liquid of the same flavor. For someone like me who vapes at around 11mg strength, these are really quadruplers: 1 oz. at 45mg + 3 oz. at 0mg = 4 oz. at 11.25mg (plus an extra 1 oz. of 0mg juice for “pacifier” vaping). Whoa! I’ll let you do the arithmetic for how cheap that nets out to be. [And those who vape at 0mg (as I sometimes do) make out like bandits: 10cents/ml.]
Happy investigating, Klatu!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread