Status
Not open for further replies.

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
I looked around but didn’t find anything for this question. How do I store PG\Vg for the long term? I have been waiting to order it until I’m ready to mix up a liter of base but I was wondering if it goes bad sitting in room temperature for a year or two. I don’t have room in the freezer for any so I couldn’t freeze it but I was curious if that would stop any degradation or does PG/VG even degrade at all? Any help from someone with first hand knowledge of the effects from time+room temperature on the diluents we all use. Thank you all in advance for any help and/or knowledge you’re able to drop on this curious concoction creator.

Reactions: stols001

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
I've kept a gallon of PG and VG in a cool basement over a three year period and they were good to the last drop. I wouldn't keep a bigger supply than I would use over a couple years as both will continue to be readily available.

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
I've kept a gallon of PG and VG in a cool basement over a three year period and they were good to the last drop. I wouldn't keep a bigger supply than I would use over a couple years as both will continue to be readily available.
Thanks for the information, yea I wasn’t gonna get a bunch. I just wanted to throw some in on an order but didn’t have any freezer space. I’ve got like a decade’s worth of nicotine so now I’ll get maybe 2 years worth of pg/vg. Much appreciated my man, hope you have some positive karma coming your way for helping me.

Reactions: 440BB

smacuser

Total Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    This question come up before earlier this year, and I replied that I didn't have any problems keeping them at room temp since 2016. I had originally bought 3 liters of VG and 1 liter of PG.

But, the mix before last, I noticed an off odor to my VG that wasn't pleasant. So, when I received new VG from River Supply, there wasn't any odor and dumped what was most of a liter of my old VG.

Hope that helps. :)

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    My VG has consistently been fine. I bought a 2.5 liter vat of it like um... 3 plus years ago. Stored at room temp and like in the original River plastic bottle (although I think they use the "good" plastic." I can now lift it without difficulty. Same with my PEG 400 although I froze the liter I have left mainly because it would fit in my nic freezer (which my dear husband found a place with the hotel lady and ran an extension cord to my freezer. He must really not want me to die. But at the time I was like, "More mass, stay cold longer." I'm thinking it all probably survived the trip.

If you are feeling the need to stockpile VG/PG I'd imagine the same goes as for nicotine like in glass, in the freezer, would render it pretty inert.

But to me, it seems pretty inert on its own. I AM going to get some more PEG400 as River Supply sells it dirt cheap and I don't want any hassles later but I'm not really that worried about its shelf life.

Anna

madstabber

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 20, 2013
    Concoction Creating Cave
    I mix my base at 50/50 and I do it super simple. 1 liter of 100mg nicotine mixed with a liter of VG and a liter of PG. So all said and done I’ll have three liters of base with 33mg/ml. After I add the flavorings my final product will be high 20’s mg/ml. So I wanted to have a liter of VG & PG waiting in the wings but I can’t spare any freezer space so I’m happy to hear it should hold up for a few years at room temperature. Hell even if it goes bad, another liter is like $5 give or take so not a big deal either way. Thanks y’all for your guidance, I appreciate each and every one of you. Stay safe out there in the world and have a blessed day.

smacuser

Total Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    If you are feeling the need to stockpile VG/PG I'd imagine the same goes as for nicotine like in glass, in the freezer, would render it pretty inert.
    Not sure if they're going to be hard to get in the future since they're used for many other applications.

• Agree

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    Not sure if they're going to be hard to get in the future since they're used for many other applications.

Oh I completely agree and I won't be stockpiling anything it's getting close to buy more time for me anyway. River Supply sells PEG400 cheap hopefully they still have it but well....

Who am I to deny the bunker types right?
    Anna

• Agree
    Reactions: smacuser

f1vefour

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 3, 2013
    Emerald Coast
    PG has a 1.5 year shelf life best of my knowledge, unsure about VG.

I saw the question asked to the vendor where I just purchased a half gallon of PG and that was their answer, it was a bargain at $10.95 with Prime shipping.

They also stated the shelf life could be extended by keeping it in the freezer, but they didn't say how long.

The packaging says best by 11/21

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    I looked around but didn’t find anything for this question. How do I store PG\Vg for the long term? I have been waiting to order it until I’m ready to mix up a liter of base but I was wondering if it goes bad sitting in room temperature for a year or two. I don’t have room in the freezer for any so I couldn’t freeze it but I was curious if that would stop any degradation or does PG/VG even degrade at all? Any help from someone with first hand knowledge of the effects from time+room temperature on the diluents we all use. Thank you all in advance for any help and/or knowledge you’re able to drop on this curious concoction creator.

I'm coming to the End of a Gallon of VG I purchased roughly 2 Years ago. It was stored in a Hall Closet. I see No Signs of any type of Degradation or Taste Changes.

I use Very Little added PG. Because my Nicotine Base PG based. And I make High VG DIY. The PG that I have I keep in the Frig in a 1L Bottle.

When it is time to Buy another Gallon of VG, which I just did, I buy another Liter of PG. And then throw out the Old PG when everything arrives.

I probably Don't need to throw out the PG. Because the Colour hasn't changed. And it Tastes the Same as when I got it. But I do for some reason.

madstabber

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 20, 2013
    Concoction Creating Cave
    I'm coming to the End of a Gallon of VG I purchased roughly 2 Years ago. It was stored in a Hall Closet. I see No Signs of any type of Degradation or Taste Changes.

I use Very Little added PG. Because my Nicotine Base PG based. And I make High VG DIY. The PG that I have I keep in the Frig in a 1L Bottle.

When it is time to Buy another Gallon of VG, which I just did, I buy another Liter of PG. And then throw out the Old PG when everything arrives.

I probably Don't need to throw out the PG. Because the Colour hasn't changed. And it Tastes the Same as when I got it. But I do for some reason.
    So why do you throw out the PG, do you have information that it degrades differently from the VG? Or is it just because how you use it leaves some extra PG when you run out of VG and you want to start fresh with both and it’s cheap so you figure screw it I’ll dump it so I’m not letting the old contaminate the new?
    Basically I’m wondering if there is a scientific reason that says PG degrades differently than VG or if it’s just a victim of circumstance?

440BB

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 19, 2011
    The Motor City
    So why do you throw out the PG, do you have information that it degrades differently from the VG? Or is it just because how you use it leaves some extra PG when you run out of VG and you want to start fresh with both and it’s cheap so you figure screw it I’ll dump it so I’m not letting the old contaminate the new?
    Basically I’m wondering if there is a scientific reason that says PG degrades differently than VG or if it’s just a victim of circumstance?
    One possible reason...
    https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/....-retentive-chef/n9838
    :D

• Useful

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal

No Scientific Reason. Heck, the Nicotine Base I'm vaping right now has been sitting in that same frig for a Lot Longer than 1 Year. And it is PG Based.

Just kinda do it for a Fresh Start.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 12, 2014
    I'm vaping 5 year old nic, pg and vg may be 18 months, flavoring 18 months. Lately I make 1 liter batches, put that in the freezer, use it to refill a 240 ml squeeze bottle that stays in the frig and use that to refill a 20 ml dripper bottle for carrying around. As far as I can tell nic is immortal in the freezer, pg, vg, and flavor seems to do fine in the dark at room temperature indefinitely. Heartland, one of the nic companys informs us they are submitting a PTMA and expect to be selling nic after 9/9. I'm stocked up with no regrets regardless of what finally happens.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    While you may not need to refrigerate PG and VG as others have stated, I'm a firm believer that plastic is a terrible long-term storage material for food and inhalants because I just assume all plastic bottles will leach chemicals into it's contents if given enough time. Yes, even the "food grade" plastics. Nothing beats glass as long as you keep it out of the light when not in use and return to darkness as quickly a possible after use.

And you don't have to buy Boston round bottle, you can just use canning jars, which are readily available locally in most places.

Last edited:

f1vefour

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 3, 2013
    Emerald Coast
    I keep a working gallon of each in a closet. They last me well over a year without problems. I don't stockpile PG/VG because they will always be available, although with this covid thing, some sites have jacked the price way up.
    Indeed, I got dinged on my last VG purchase and called the vendor out on price gouging in my review...Amazon declined to post it.

SupplyDaddy

I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles!
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 21, 2012
    San Antonio, Texas
    Keep it cool and in the dark..
    You can freeze the stuff, but why have that much around?
    Used in so many things they will be around, just make sure you get USP Grade.
    (USP is the only grade you need, it is higher than Food Grade, higher than Kosher)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread