pH values and harshness of eliquid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kate

Moved On
Jun 26, 2008
UK
There has been some talk about what causes the harshness of some eliquids. One view is that it is nicotine and another is that it's to do with additives. It's not been clear cut about either theory because some high nic eliquids have a smooth taste but there aren't many low nic harsh eliquids apparently.

TBob has posted another little gem of information that might enlighten us a bit more on this. He said:

"... GENERALLY, the higher the nicotine, the greater the hit. Nicotine hits the top of the airway passages and causes the muscles there to contract sharply. It's like gasping, or being punched in the chest. If the hit is strong enough, a user involuntarily coughs to expand the muscles.

But .. and this is interesting .. the PH of the liquid has an effect also. Alkaline cigar smoke, if inhaled, has a much harsher hit than acidic cigarette smoke,
even when the cigar smoke has less nicotine. That means a liquid maker, to increase hit without relying on nicotine, might manipulate the PH of the liquid so that it mimics a nic hit. ..."
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...as-most-powerfull-throat-hit-2.html#post49996

So it looks like the harshness is to do with both nicotine and the pH of the vapour.

What I'd like is for manufacturers to grade pH and sell eliquid with a range of acidity levels for different tastes in the same way they sell different nic strengths.

I still wonder what ingredients cause more or less alkalinity. Dr Loi said he had taken these measurements:

"..my litmus test shows it to be alkaline in nature with reading from pH 7.8 to 8.5...highest found in E-liquids from E-cig and lowest from Ruyan cart samples..."
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/nicotine/2801-questions-about-nicotine-2.html#post48477

So what is the difference in composition of the Ecig juice that is causing more alkalinity compared with Ruyan juice?

Kate

Moved On
Jun 26, 2008
UK
I've found some information on pH and nicotine and don't really know where to post it. This is the only thread on the subject but this isn't so much a design or product request as an information exchange.

From this document - Effect of pH on Nicotine Absorption and Side Effects Produced by Aerosolized Nicotine

It says

"Increasing pH was associated with a higher mean rise in plasma nicotine concentration."

"In a previous study, we gave 5 mg of aerosolized nicotine with a pH of 11 to smokers and produced nicotine levels which were similar to those reached with cigarettes and superior to those produced by 2 mg nicotine gum"

"... the rapid onset of action and the potential for high blood levels, are factors that might increase the potential for physical or behavioral dependence on the aerosol nicotine itself"

Clipboard01.jpg

Clipboard02.jpg

Kate

Moved On
Jun 26, 2008
UK
Kate, that document is a jewel in favor of e-smoking! Consider that it was done in 1993, before e-cigs were invented, and shows how effective nicotine delivery as an aerosol can be in satisfying smokers' cravings. Its bottom line is, as you noted, that the greater the pH of the smoke, the higher the blood nicotine levels achieved.

I went through it line by line and pulled some stuff we e-smokers need to know:

We (researchers) conclude that a more alkaline aerosol enhances absorption from the respiratory tract. The vapor we inhale in on the alkaline side.

Delivery of nicotine as an aerosol may have potential in nicotine replacement therapy for smoking cessation. You bet, and e-smokers are proof.

Since cigar smoke is alkaline whereas cigarette smoke is acidic, the pH of cigar smoke may contribute to its greater irritant effect on the airway. Same with our vapor; you want hit, go alkaline with the pH.

Course, the test involved some heavy nicotine. The base liquid, for instance, was 130mg per ml. Our "high" liquid is 16mg per ml. Our vapor yields 0.053mg per puff. The strong test liquid made 0.457mg per puff. I want some of that!

As the researchers note, The dose used was four to five times that of a standard cigarette.

Russell and Feyerabend proposed that it may be the puff-by-puff nicotine bolus effect of cigarette smoking that leads to such fierce dependence, not just to nicotine itself but to that particular form of nicotine, so that other forms of nicotine do not satisfy. Nicotine aerosol would provide a pattern of nicotine substitution that would be more like the use of cigarettes. In theory, it might be more successful in preventing withdrawal symptoms, allowing more patients to achieve initial abstinence from smoking. However these same features, such as the rapid onset of action and the potential for high blood levels, are factors that might increase the potential for physical or behavioral dependence on the aerosol nicotine itself. Yep, I'm now addicted to e-cig vapor.

Successful nicotine substitution might ultimately utilize multiple modalities that could be tailored to each patient. Benowitz proposed that more studies be done to evaluate the potential of rapid-delivery systems, such as nicotine aerosol, particularly in combination with slow-delivery systems like gum or transdermal patches. In summary, we have shown that inhalation of an aerosolized nicotine solution produced rapid peak plasma levels that increased significantly as the aerosol pH was increased.

We are using what they concluded could be a successful way to say goodbye to cigarettes. Nice study.
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...on/5294-fans-throat-hits-0-nic.html#post83450

nicowolf

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2008
near Akron, OH, USA
I have been thinking about this, but don't know how to find the right info. When you look up nicotine, the first bit of info you find is that it is an 'alkaloid'. Does this word alkaloid have a relationship to the Ph level? Does alkaloid mean it is on the alkaline end of the Ph scale? Is this why higher nic levels provide better throat hit? I realize these are very basic chemistry questions, but I cut high school chemistry to go smoke with my buds. Is there anyone here who has these answers?

Kate

Moved On
Jun 26, 2008
UK
Here is a link to some tobacco research and some quotes:

Nicotine is chemically classified as a base which means that it has a pH at 7 in its pure form.

... relatively small changes in pH between 6 and 8 have a very large effect on the proportion of freebase nicotine in the smoke.

Freebase nicotine is the most chemically and physiologically active form because it is most rapidly absorbed . At a pH of 5 .6, very little freebase nicotine is present and very little would be absorbed through the mouth lining, but at a pH of 8 about 60 percent of the nicotine would be in the freebase form and would be rapidly absorbed through the oral mucosa. This illustrates why it is ineffective in terms of nicotine intake to puff without inhaling on a Virginia cigarette but it is effective to puff on a cigar without inhaling.

... products that are not designed to be inhaled such as cigar smoke, pipe smoke and wet snuffs must have a pH that is alkaline so that the free base nicotine may be absorbed in the mouth.

The sensory attribute most associated with nicotine is described within the company as 'impact'. It may be described by consumers as throat catch, throat hit, throat grip, etc. Our definition of impact is : the sudden sharp but short-lived sensation (typically less than one second in duration) which is noticed immediately the smoke makes contact with the back of the throat . A physiological explanation of the impact sensation is that nicotine causes smooth muscle to contract . The contraction is proportional to the dose of nicotine applied to it. In fact, the relationship between the applied dose and the magnitude of the contraction is logarithmic, but for all practical purposes, the more nicotine the stronger the contraction and hence the impact sensation.

http://www.health.gov.bc.ca/guildford/pdf/bat/122/00012275.pdf

This suggests that zero nicotine eliquid cannot give a throat hit. It also suggests that because our eliquid has high alkalinity/pH the nicotine in it is efficiently absorbed by the mucus membrane in our mouths, inhaling isn't necessary.

Cymri

ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2009
Austin Texas
Kate is so amazing at collating and organizing information....another good info thread kate!:thumb::wub:

I so agree! Fellow member Rejoice is going to use a pH meter tomorrow and see what the pH of her eliquid is.

Anyone else here have access to a pH meter and would be willing to test their eliquid as well? It would be very interesting to find out if our eliquids are generally in the proper pH range (8 I believe) to favor the more readily absorbed form of nicotine.

rejoice

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2008
USA KY
Cymri, Do you think I should test the different mg's? To see if there is a different. I was thinking of trying the 36mg, 24 mg unflavored, 11mg, 6mg. I don't think I have any 18mg. I will be testing the liquid that I have without anything added. I have some 18mg,but have added VG and flavors. The PH meter ,we have is very accurate. It has to be very accurate. We have a special company check every three months to make sure.

Faethe

ECF Veteran
Feb 12, 2009
Orlando, Florida
I had a friend who used to calibrate assorted weights & measures device for organizations around canada, crazy stuff, it was dizzying trying to comprehend her sometimes!

Is there anyway someone could test the nicotine concentration without using $500k equipment?

Can't you just stick a ph strip in it like you get at the pet supply for fishtanks?

rejoice

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2008
USA KY
My results of running a few Ph tests on E-Liquid. Menthol 24MG has a PH of 8.4. French Pipe 36MG has a PH of 7.6. Flavorless E-liquid 25MG= PH of 6.4. Cappuccino 11MG has a PH of 6.0. My mix of Marlboro E-liquid using Seedman cocoa,PG,VG with a 12MG before the mix. Has a PH of 7.6. I am not sure of the NIC on this one. Guessing the mix is around a 9 MG. I would like to try some more flavors to see. I forgot to bring my 6MG e-liquid today. The highest PH is the Menthol and the lowest the Cappuccino with flavorless coming in close. If I had some high MG Cappuccino this would let us know.

Cymri

ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2009
Austin Texas
My results of running a few Ph tests on E-Liquid. Menthol 24MG has a PH of 8.4. French Pipe 36MG has a PH of 7.6. Flavorless E-liquid 25MG= PH of 6.4. Cappuccino 11MG has a PH of 6.0. My mix of Marlboro E-liquid using Seedman cocoa,PG,VG with a 12MG before the mix. Has a PH of 7.6. I am not sure of the NIC on this one. Guessing the mix is around a 9 MG. I would like to try some more flavors to see. I forgot to bring my 6MG e-liquid today. The highest PH is the Menthol and the lowest the Cappuccino with flavorless coming in close. If I had some high MG Cappuccino this would let us know.

Excellent work, Rejoice! VERY interesting variation there. From the graph in that doc I posted, anything close to pH 6 would have nearly no nicotine in the base form. I am surprised to see how high some of them are. My understanding is that when pH gets near 8 that the harshness makes it hard to inhale. Have you found that to be true with the Menthol and French Pipe? Also, it looks to me like your own mix is right at the optimum for base nicotine. At pH 8 the base form of nicotine should be present around 40% or higher. That should definitely give the impact of even the strongest cigarette if one can inhale it. Great work!

Last edited:

Stylopora

ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2009
Cambridgeshire UK
Additives in tobacco products

3. Enhancing impact -- additives with a pharmacological effect

"The main technical challenge was to decrease the yield of tar in a cigarette while maintaining a level of nicotine acceptable to the smoker."15

(Farone, W.A. 1996 former Philip Morris scientist.)

3.1 Free basing nicotine

Free-basing nicotine
At least as far as its rivals are concerned, the success of Philip Morris's Marlboro brand stems from greater 'free' nicotine resulting from higher alkalinity (pH) induced by the addition of ammonia technology (see section 3.2). Ammonia can speed the delivery of 'free' or unbound nicotine to smokers by raising the pH (alkalinity) of tobacco smoke using additives. This causes the smoker to 'freebase' the drug -- much as a crack-user takes ........ Dr. Jack E Henningfield of the John Hopkins University School of Medicine explains the action of ammonia thus:
"A third thing that ammonia-like compounds can do is increase the pH, increase the amount of free base nicotine, or what Dr Rickert earlier referred to as unprotonated nicotine.... The free-based form of ....... or the free based form of nicotine is more rapidly absorbed, has a more explosive effect on the nervous system. Ammonia is one of the ways that you can provide free-based ....... or free-based nicotine." (1997)16

Nicotine in different forms
Many documents explain the tobacco companies' recognition that nicotine is available in different forms.
"Nicotine may be presented to the smoker in at least three forms: (I) salt form in the particulate phase, (ii) free base form in the particulate phase, (iii) free base form in the vapour phase. It has long been believed that nicotine presented as in (ii)/(iii) is considerably more 'active'."(BAT 1984)17

"Nicotine is in the smoke in two forms as free nicotine base (think of ammonia) and as a nicotine salt (think of ammonium chloride) and it is almost certain that the free nicotine base is absorbed faster into the blood-stream."(BAT 1964)18
More free nicotine means higher 'impact'
Once the relationship between pH, free nicotine and nicotine 'impact' was established, it became a research objective.
"The purpose of this project is to develop a method for increasing the smoke pH of a cigarette. A low smoke solids, low nicotine cigarette with an increased smoke pH would then have relatively more free nicotine in its smoke, and consequently, a higher nicotine impact." (Liggett 1974)19

Changing the chemical form of nicotine increases the 'kick'
In a paper entitled, 'Cigarette concept to assure RJR a larger segment of the youth market' RJR talk about the 'kick' of nicotine:
"Still with an old style filter, any desired additional nicotine 'kick' could be easily obtained through pH regulation."20 (RJR 1973)

The pH also relates to the immediacy of the nicotine impact. As the pH increases, the nicotine changes its chemical form so that it is more rapidly absorbed by the body and more quickly gives a 'kick' to the smoker."21 (RJR 1976)

"When a cigarette is smoked, nicotine is released momentarily in the free-form. In this form, nicotine is more readily absorbed through the body tissue. Hence it is the free nicotine which is associated with IMPACT, i.e. The higher the free nicotine, the higher the IMPACT." (BAT 1988)22

Making nicotine more potent
"Increasing the pH of a medium in which nicotine is delivered increases the physiological effect of the nicotine by increasing the ratio of free base to acid salt form, the free base form being more readily transported across physiological membranes. We are pursuing this project with the eventual goal of lowering the total nicotine present in smoke while increasing the physiological effect of the nicotine which is present, so that no physiological effect is lost on nicotine reduction."23(Liggett 1971)
Free nicotine fraction increases 'physiological strength'
"Since the unbound nicotine is very much more active physiologically and much faster acting than the bound nicotine, the smoke at a high pH seems to be strong nicotine. Therefore, the amount of free nicotine in the smoke may be used for at least a partial measure of the physiological strength of the cigarette."24(RJR 1973)
Nicotine transfer increased as a result of ammonia treatment
According to BAT, the addition of ammonia was a technical option to enhance nicotine transfer:
"The results show that ammonia treatment caused a general increase in the delivery of bases including a 29% increase in nicotine. This result, despite the decrease in nicotine content and a 10% drop in the weight of tobacco burnt in puffing, is only partly due to a small decrease in nicotine filtration. In other words, the nicotine transfer has increased as a result of ammonia treatment..."25 (BAT 1965)

'Judicious' use of additives to increase the free base nicotine
The US tobacco company Lorillard accepts that additives can change the qualitative delivery of nicotine:
"It should be obvious that if the preceding goals of high physiological impact are to be realised, flavour profiles and their effect on physiological impact must be understood, even though measures of such perceived quantities are highly subjective... Hence judicious use of additives may increase the pH of the delivered smoke, thereby the apparent free base nicotine." (Lorillard, 1976)26

Additives to increase nicotine 'kick'
Ammonia can be used to increase the alkalinity of smoke and increase the amount of nicotine in the 'free' form rather than in the 'bound' form of nicotine salts. R J R explains:
"In essence, a cigarette is a system for delivery of nicotine to the smoker in attractive, useful form. At "normal' smoke pH, at or below about 6.0, essentially all of the smoke nicotine is chemically combined with acidic substance hence is non-volatile and relatively slowly absorbed by the smoker. As the smoke pH increases above about 6.0, an increasing proportion of the total smoke nicotine occurs in 'free' form, which is volatile, rapidly absorbed by the smoker, and believed to be instantly perceived as nicotine 'kick'."27 (RJR 1973)

3.2 Ammonia Technology and The Marlboro Story

The Rise of Marlboro - the world's best selling cigarette
The myth is that Marlboro man made the Marlboro cigarette: The square jawed icon of American individualism lassoed a gullible public and herded them into the Marlboro corral. On the face of it Marlboro's success appears to be a tribute to the power of advertising and iconography. However, the chemical history of the brand sheds interesting light on the subject.
In the early sixties Philip Morris was the smallest of America's six leading cigarette companies and RJR's brand Winston had annual sales nearly three times the size of Marlboro's. By 1978 there had been a seismic shift, Marlboro was the world's best selling cigarette accounting for one in five of all cigarettes sold and over fifty percent of smokers aged 17 and below.28

The search begins for the 'soul of Marlboro'
Not surprisingly this dramatic growth in Marlboro cigarettes instigated frenzied research by other tobacco manufacturers. Through analysis and reverse engineering of Marlboro cigarettes, industry competitors came to the conclusion that 'ammonia technology' was essentially the 'soul' of Marlboro.
"Philip Morris began using an ammoniated sheet material in 1965 and increased use of the sheet periodically from 1965 to 1974. This time period corresponds to the dramatic sales increase Philip Morris made from 1965 to 1974."29(RJR)

Ammonia technology is the key to Marlboro
"What product technology, then, makes Marlboro a Marlboro?
Looking at all of the technology employed in Marlboro on a world-wide basis, ammonia technology remains the key factor."30 (B&W 1992)

Brands that are selling well have high levels of free nicotine
The higher pH of Marlboro cigarettes helped to maintain the same level of free nicotine as high-tar cigarettes despite a two third reduction in overall tar and nicotine - and helped develop a 'US standard taste', enhancing the iconography associated with the quintessentially American 'Marlboro Man'.
"If our data, correlations and conclusions are valid, then what has emerged is a rather new type of cigarette, represented by Marlboro and Kool, with high nicotine 'kick', burley flavour, mildness to the mouth, and increased sensation to the throat, all largely the result of higher smoke pH. There is evidence that other brands, which are selling well also, have some of these attributes, particularly increased 'free' nicotine impact.31 (RJR, 1973)

Marlboro's growth follows introduction of ammonia technology
The graph shows how Marlboro's steady rise in sales follows increases in cigarette pH -- which also has led to an increase in free nicotine content.

RJR, 197332

Brown and Williamson seeks to catch up
"It appears that we have sufficient expertise available to 'build' a lowered mg tar cigarette which will deliver as much 'free nicotine' as a Marlboro, Winston or Kent without increasing the total nicotine delivery above that of a 'light' product. There are products already being marketed which deliver high percentage 'free nicotine' levels in smoke, i.e. Merit, Now."33 (B&W 1980)
"It would appear that the increased smoker response is associated with nicotine reaching the brain more quickly... On this basis, it appears reasonable to assume that the increased response of a smoker to the smoke with a higher amount of extractable nicotine (not synonymous with but similar to free base nicotine) may be either because this nicotine reaches the brain in a different chemical form or because it reaches the brain more quickly."34 (BAT 1966)
High smoke pH linked to high sales
Competitors understood the link between Marlboro's sales and its alkalinity.
"The smoke pH for Kool and Marlboro are 7.12 and 6.98 respectively confirming the relationship between high smoke pH and cigarette sales increase."35 (Lorillard 1973)

"As a result of its higher smoke pH, the current Marlboro, despite a two thirds reduction in smoke 'tar' and nicotine over the years, calculates to have essentially the same amount of 'free' nicotine in its smoke as did the early Winston."36 (RJR 1973)

"Our data show that smoke from our brands, and all other significant competitive brands, in recent years has been consistently and significantly lower in pH (less alkaline) than in smoke from Marlboro and to a lesser degree Kool... All evidence indicates that the relatively high smoke pH (high alkalinity) shown by Marlboro (and other Philip Morris brands) and Kool is deliberate and controlled. This has raised questions as to: (1) the effect of higher pH on nicotine impact and smoke quality, hence market performance, and (2) how the higher smoke pH might be accomplished."37 (RJR 1973)

3.3 Concealing the nicotine by increasing the vapour phase

Ammonia helps cheat the federal test for levels of nicotine and tar
The exploitation of 'free' nicotine and its enhanced effects helped cigarette companies cheat the US Federal Trade Commission (FTC) machine measurements of tar and nicotine levels. Using additive technology they were able to build cigarettes which registered low tar readings on the machine but delivered high levels of nicotine to the smoker.
"If the desired goal is defined to be increased nicotine yield in the delivered smoke there appear to be only two alternatives: either increase the absolute yield of delivered nicotine, or increase the pH, which increases the 'apparent' nicotine content without changing the absolute amount."38 (Lorillard, 1976)

Concealing nicotine in the gas phase
The FTC machine measures overall levels of liquid and solid nicotine, but not its concentration in the vapour phase where 'free' nicotine is found. Additives allowed reduced tar and nicotine without compromising the pharmacological effects -- legally required disclosure of tar and nicotine levels on billboards and cigarette packets showed a significant reduction while smokers were still being exposed to high levels of an addictive drug. Changes in the state of nicotine from liquid or solid to gas would have the effect of evading the standard measuring process which records the residues left on the filter in the standard smoking machine.
"The perfect example of that is that if you don't take into account the gas phase, if I do something like increase the pH and the smoke drops so that I can put more of the nicotine from the liquid into the gas and I am not measuring the gas, then in fact, you don't measure that nicotine which gets in the gas phase. This has been known since the late 1960's and early 1970's."39 (Farone, W.A. 6/12/97)

Business as usual while appearing to reduce nicotine
The increase in the free nicotine fraction - a qualitative change in the chemical form of nicotine -- means that the same 'hit' can be obtained from less nicotine. Put another way, there can be the appearance of a reduction in pharmacological impact without there being a real reduction.
"The amount of nicotine in the vapour phase can be modified by changing the acidity (pH) of the smoke. Hence it is readily feasible to have two cigarettes which deliver the same amount of nicotine (as measured on a Cambridge pad - the FTC method) but which are easily differentiated on the sensory basis of impact since the acidity of the smoke (and hence amount of nicotine in the vapour phase) is different."40 (B&W 1984)

3.4 Other additives that may enhance the effect of nicotine

Evidence of other substances with pharmacological effects
Although in the documents surveyed, ammonia emerges as the primary chemical tool used to enhance nicotine effects, other additives with similar functions are currently in use and more are being researched. Of particular note are Acetaldehyde, Levulinic Acid, Theobromine and Glycyrrhizin -- Although described by the tobacco industry as 'smoothers' and 'flavour enhancers', all appear to have some pharmacological effect in controlling nicotine absorption levels and/or delivery.
Synergistic interactions...
In his testimony during recent litigation, W.A. Farone noted that,
"the interactions (between additives and nicotine) may be the basis for the difference between the difficulty in giving up pipe or cigars compared to giving up cigarettes."41 (Farone WA 1997)

3.4.1 Acetaldehyde
Acetaldehyde is produced by the burning of sugars (the most common tobacco additives42). Industry scientists suspected that acetaldehyde could enhance the addictive effects of nicotine. Senior Philip Morris scientist Victor J. DeNoble began research in the early eighties, into the behavioural effects of nicotine and acetaldehyde in rats. He discovered that the two drugs worked synergistically to enhance the addictive nature of nicotine. DeNoble's research papers for Philip Morris reveal the potential for acetaldehyde to act in this way:
"The results can be summarized as follows: 1 acetaldehyde does function as a positive reinforcer for rats. 2 acetaldehyde at equal doses (mg) to(-) nicotine is more effective at maintaining self-administration behaviour, 3 the endogenous opioid system is not involved in the maintenance of acetaldehyde self administration, and 4) combinations of nicotine and acetaldehyde produce supra-additive effects when self administered."43 (PM)

"Acetaldehyde alone maintained lever pressing at a greater rate than nicotine at equal mg/kg doses. This is consistent with other findings at this laboratory." (Philip Morris, 1983)44

"Overall, the effects of acetaldehyde on EEGs were similar to those of nicotine."45 (PM 1983)

"DeNoble detected a synergistic or "additive" effect with acetaldehyde-nicotine combinations. This experiment was extended, with a slightly different but acceptable protocol, with one rat again using doses less than one cigarette (8 ug/kg / dose) and again DeNoble detected a synergistic effect between acetaldehyde - nicotine."46 (PM 1982)

Following this discovery DeNoble and his team were ordered to find the optimal ratio of the two compounds. According to DeNoble's testimony, once the company had discovered the optimal ratio for addiction they increased the levels of sugar in Marlboro cigarettes to achieve the required increase in levels of acetaldehyde.

"How did they do it? Simple, they added sugar, because if you burn sugar you form acetaldehyde. Now I ask you this. If tobacco companies are reducing acetaldehyde as Philip Morris says why has Marlboro increased acetaldehyde by 40% in ten years and has maintained that increase today?"47 (DeNoble, Verbal Testimony 1997)

3.4.2 Levulinic acid
Adding straight nicotine to tobacco has two unwanted effects. Firstly it makes the smoke harsh and difficult to smoke, and secondly it increases the FTC reading of nicotine. RJR patented a way round this by using a nicotine salt of an organic acid, (e.g., nicotine levulinate) which increases the impact of nicotine whilst keeping a low tar to nicotine ratio on the FTC reading:
The use of organic acid salts to mask the harshness of nicotine.

It would be desirable to provide a cigarette such as an 'ultra low tar' cigarette, which is capable of delivering a good tobacco taste, strength and smoking satisfaction characteristic of a 'full flavour low tar' cigarette while not being perceived as being overly harsh or irritating. In addition, it would be desirable to provide a cigarette such as a ' full flavour low tar' cigarette, which is capable of delivering a good tobacco taste, strength and smoking satisfaction characteristic of a 'full flavour' cigarette while not being perceived as being overly harsh or irritating. Cigarettes having incorporated therein a salt such as nicotine levulinate exhibit low FTC 'tar' to nicotine ratios while (i) having a smooth palatable, flavourful taste, and (ii) providing smoking satisfaction to the user. The cigarettes do not exhibit a harsh or irritating character; and do not exhibit a non-tobacco or off taste.

Patent No 4,830,028. Salts provided from nicotine and organic acids as cigarette additives, RJR, May 16 1989.

RJR researches techniques for enhanced binding
Titled 'Enhancement of nicotine binding to nicotinic receptors by nicotine levulinate and levulinic acid', the following document shows how levulinic acid enhances the effects of nicotine.
"Nicotine levulinate and levulinic acid significantly increased the amount of L (3H) nicotine bound to nicotinic receptors in rat brain tissue. The observed increase ranged from 20 - 50 %, with a mean value of around 30 %. The total amount of radiolabeled nicotine bound to receptors was more than could be accounted for by binding to high affinity receptors alone. The maximal effect which was observed at concentrations of nicotine levulinate and levulinic acid in the low nanomolar range, was reversed at higher concentrations. A computer model consistent with the results was developed and tested. According to the model, levulinic acid binds to an allosteric site on a class of low-affinity receptors and increases the affinity of these receptors for nicotine. At higher concentrations, this effect is reversed by the levulinic acid itself, assuming that it also has a reasonable affinity for the nicotine binding sites."48 (RJR 1989)

"Levulinic acid (4-oxopentanoic acid) is primarily a breakdown product of starch, cane sugar and other cellulosic materials."49 (RJR 1989)

Are there other compounds which help nicotine bind to receptors?
The same document possibly describing other research.
"Similarly, it has been shown that there are some compounds which enhance the binding of nicotine to its receptors in brain tissue"50 (RJR 1989)

The above quotes illustrate the extent to which cigarette manufacturers can manipulate the chemistry of smoke and nicotine addiction. Levulinate and levulinic acid change the chemistry of the brain itself so it becomes more receptive to nicotine.

3.4.3 Cocoa and theobromine
Widely used as an additive, cocoa contains alkaloids, which may modify the effects of nicotine and have a pharmacological effect in themselves. Cocoa also contains about 1% theobromine, a 'bronchodilator' - encouraging expansion of the airways and facilitating increased smoke and nicotine intake.
The following quotes are from scientific and medical papers held by Philip Morris:

"Theobromine: The principal alkaloid of the cocoa bean which contains 1.5-3% of the base... bronchodilation effect in asthma."51

"The bronchodilator effect of a 10mg dose of theobromine was compared with that of 5mg of theophylline in young patients with asthma.... In this single dose study the bronchodilatory effect produced by theobromine was clinically and statistically significant.... improvement in all pulmonary function tests was noted after the ingestion of theobromine or theophylline."52

It should be noted that 'improvement' refers to a significant expansion of the airways within the smoker's lungs.

3.4.4 Glycyrrhizin
An ingredient of liquorice - another commonly used additive, glycyrrhizin also acts as a bronchodilator.
"What does a bronchodilator do? The bronchodilator makes it easier for you to inhale, so obviously if you are having difficulty putting smoke in your lungs, it's good to have a bronchodilator in there. Now I was asked recently whether I knew whether the glycerizon being delivered is delivered in adequate concentration to cause that to happen. I do not know the answer to that question. It would be interesting to know whether that has been studied by the industry. If they have studied it, it would seem that that is the kind of information that should be shared with regard to ingredients. The point is, however, that we know it can happen, it is a bronchodilator. The probability that it happens is very high, but that would be related to studies that should be done."53 (Farone WA 1997)

3.4.5 Pyridine
A testimony from WA Farone, a former Philip Morris employee, speculates on the impact of adding alkaloids other than nicotine to cigarettes:
"We normally think only of nicotine, but we have to remember there are other alkaloids in tobacco. As an example of that I have here a very old book on pharmacy and therapeutics. It was written in 1894, published in 1895, and I'd like to just read you one little thing. This is on the section under tobacco and it says, 'It contains a very powerful and poisonous food alkaloid named nicotine'. It goes on to say, "It's combustion gives rise to several products of which pyridine and its compounds of the sheath having the same action as nicotine but of less severity." So here we are back in 1894 knowing full well that pyridine acts like nicotine at least in some regard, and if you go to a modern book.... you are going to find out that it is a central nervous system depressant, much the same as nicotine. So if I now add pyridine, either in the form of pyridine itself or in the form of some chemical, which when I combust it or pyrolyse it , it converts to pyridine, then I have increased the pyridine that the smoker gets if I put pyridine in with nicotine I increase the total central nervous system effect, and it becomes very, very important for us to understand the interactions between the additives the ingredients, and what is happening with the pharmacological effects of nicotine."54 (Farone WA 1997)

The following BAT report explores the absorption of pyridine and its synergy with nicotine. While the report says that the levels of pyridine found in tobacco smoke are 'unlikely' to be high enough to cause any effect, due to lack of disclosure it is difficult to ascertain weather current level of pyridine are high enough to be pharmacologically active.

"Peripherally, i.e. the tissue of the body excluding the brain, whether acting similarly, by nicotine receptor stimulation, or by different mechanisms pyridine and nicotine act synergistically."55 (BAT)

"Centrally, pyridine and nicotine produce opposite antagonistic effects, nicotine being stimulant, pyridine depressant."56 (BAT)

"...This is indicative that pyridine is producing this effect by stimulating a nicotinic receptor at this site."57 (BAT)

"Discussion of the Interaction of Pyridine with Nicotine.

It would appear that in the majority of cases there is a degree of addition between the effects of nicotine and pyridine. It does not really matter if the two agents are producing their effects by different mechanisms, as with their effects on heart rate.

This conclusion seems to be true for the peripheral effects, but as can be seen from the results of the section concerned with the CNS effects of pyridine, and from the results of the mouse and rat toxicities in: the absorption section of the report, pyridine and nicotine have directly opposite effects on the brain, and thus will antagonise each others effects."58 (BAT)

Kate

Moved On
Jun 26, 2008
UK
This post is a cracker for information on adding harmine and raising pH:

Hello, I came upon this discussion in a search engine for passion flower and wanted to add some information.

I have worked with passion flower "Passiflora Incarnata" for several years now and this plant has many applications.

Passiflora Incarnata has the highest flavanoids, alkaloids, and the 8-pyrone derivative content out of the 400 different species, It is the most commercially used due to many others containing toxic agents.

Flowers,Leaves,and stems are used. "Leaves containing highest alkaloid content".

Passiflora Incarnata Extraction Procedure:
1. Powderize plant material "flowers/leaves".
2. Add 300 Ml Warm Distilled water to plant material and allow to sit 3-5 minutes.
Note: use tall thin container if possible.
3. Filter through coffe filter's' and keep aqueous solution. "discard plant material".
3. Add 2-5 drops Standard Vinegar Solution to aqueous solution and mix well.
Note: Solution will be some variation of brown at this point.
4. Add 1 - 4 Drops Household Ammonia to solution.
Note: Upon adding you will notice reaction. "Ammonia reacting with harmine's' to form salts". The top of solution will appear to turn white.
5. Let solution sit several hours until you notice white precipitation building up on the bottom of container. A frigerator will speed up this process.
6. Once all alkaloids have precipitated siphon off water layer carefully not to remove any alks. Once water has been removed add more warm distilled water to start the washing. "removes colored impurites".
7. Repeat step 6 until alks appear to be very white/ to almost clear in color. this may take 3-10 times.
8. pour clean water solution onto glass evaporating dish and fan dry to yield crystalline harmine/harmala alks.

Purification: To further purify add dried alks to distilled water solution, put in heat safe container and bring to a low boil on stove. Once water begins to boil add 1/2 gram activated carbon and mix well. Filter through coffe filter and evap solution to yield 97-98% pure Harmine.

Note: Harmine will resemble small colorless needles when viewed under magnification.

Total alkaloid Extraction of P. Incarnata.
All active alks are water soluble.
1. Powderize plant material and add to 300 ML distilled water.
2. Filter through coffe filter and evap.
Note: This method will yield brown to black extract that will most likely harden or become tarry after removal from glass dish.
- This extract will easily dissolve when added to water/alcohol.

Extract Storage:
Store in airtight bags, away from direct light.

While the above procedure yields only harmine, the whole plant material will offer slightly different effects which may be more helpfull in treating certain conditions.

Hope this helps, any questions feel free to ask.
-drella.
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-passion-flower-has-harmine-2.html#post120510

Cymri

ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2009
Austin Texas
ah yea the good ol acid/base extraction. thats interesting chem- you actually are converting the harmine to a salt with acid, and then back to the free base form with the base. You definitely do not want to try to vape the salt form because of high temps needed to vaporize it/weird breakdown products. Wow we really really are nailing this one! I'm going to start gathering supplies for experiments this week

Last edited:

Jaaxx

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2008
Atlanta, GA
juicyliquid.com
I have experimented with Ammonium Carbonate "Baker's Ammonia" to adjust pH value in both PG and VG liquids. It does the job in very minute quantities which should be safe, non-irritating(well, not more than intended. we are talking about "throat hit") and minimally affecting taste. However, I have not noticed any real increase in "throat hit" even from very high alkaline concentrations approaching 9.0.

Adjusting pH MAY be more important as far as nicotine absorption than flavor or "hit."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread