Tried e-liquid with nic. tastes harsh

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElOgre

Mar 18, 2019
It's 60% PG / 40% VG in a 10ml bottle that states it has 3mg of nic. The flavor is Cafe Mocha. Its a house made e liquid from a shop in town.

Attachments

• 20190329_211349_Burst01.jpg
    20190329_211349_Burst01.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 38
Reactions: stols001

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
@PinchiOgre – you have been given some solid advice to run with, but keep an open mind for they may not be a sure fix to the harness you are experiencing.

In front of me I have a 70VG coffee chocolate mix in one RDA, and a 50VG chocolate doughnut in another same RDA – both have the same 6mg nicotine and operate at the same 65 watts. The coffee with the higher VG, to me, is harsher. As individuals we all have different tolerances.

You are challenged at finding the right juice that suits your style and needs which may not be a hit first time around. As mentioned, just keep an open mind and try a variety of different juices with different levels of VG and different flavours. Does your store allow sampling? If so, take advantage of that and sample away! If not, there may be a bit of trial and error.

Last edited:
  • Agree

Jazzman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2013
High Desert, CA
@PinchiOgre , house juices are suspect by many of us. If they mix on the premises without a real mixing lab of some sort many times the juice is not the best. Ask them to mix a small sample of 0nic juice just so you can try it see if it's the nic, the recipe they use, fresh made juice that needs to steep for a couple of weeks, or as others have said too high PG.

If it's just the nic causing the harshness and the 0nic juice tastes great have them get some smooth nic salts and use the same 3mg/ml and that will get rid of the throat hit that is likely causing the harshness.

3mg juice should really not be harsh to vape. Then again, some have allergies to certain juice components, most commonly PG, so that would be something to explore too.

CasketWeaver

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2014
Decatur, IL 62521
70PG on a SMOK Prince (Kit) or even the Tank alone is too much my dude. Not to mention, the bottle looks a little shady, if I might add. My advice, go to a shop (or order online) and find something lower in PG, higher in VG, and try that. You may find it not to be as harsh.

If you find it less harsh but doesn't curb the cravings, keep the VG / PG ratio the same (70VG / 30PG) but increase the nic strength. I think the HIGHEST I've seen BASIC LIQUIDS (NON-NET & NON-SALT) go when exploring higher VG base liquids is 12mg/ml. If going higher in NIC begins to get harsh again, that's normal for some. Higher nic = a heavier throat hit on most liquids. Higher PG also results in a heavier throat hit on most liquids as well.

May also try a low nic with a citrus, menthol, or cinnamon based liquid if you want a tougher throat hit.

charlie1465

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2014
Roquebrune sur Argens, Var, France
Just one thing that hasn't been covered is the interaction between your smokers lungs and the vapour. When I first gave up and started vaping I definitely had a temporary irritation problem which I am now sure was due to the vapour causing a reaction in my lungs because they were expecting cigarette smoke.

I coughed and had weird harshness etc. After persevering for a few weeks the symptoms stopped and the vapour became a smooth experience.

My advice is to persevere, it'll stop in a few weeks. The most important thing is for you to get your nicotine hit :) Good luck :)

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
My guess is too much PG unless the nic being used (you could go ask) is really Terrible and Bad and Old or something, or a really budget brand.

It IS possible you may need to lower your nic, or maybe even try nic salts smooth (very little throat hit) although finding a premade high VG nic salt juice in that percentage is going to be tough. You could try if you have some "custom" vendors in town, although checking out some manufacturers everyone seems to love, maybe Ohm's vapes, or Heather's Heavenly vapes may be worth your time.

You could get some VG (can get it pretty easy at places like Walmart even just make sure it is USP grade) and dilute the juice some. It won't tell if I if it's the nic or the PG that is the culprit unfortunately, but it may give you some sort of idea that yeah, it's one or the other, etc.

Good luck,

Anna

Reactions: greek mule

Jazzman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2013
High Desert, CA
My guess is too much PG unless the nic being used (you could go ask) is really Terrible and Bad and Old or something, or a really budget brand.

It IS possible you may need to lower your nic, or maybe even try nic salts smooth (very little throat hit) although finding a premade high VG nic salt juice in that percentage is going to be tough. You could try if you have some "custom" vendors in town, although checking out some manufacturers everyone seems to love, maybe Ohm's vapes, or Heather's Heavenly vapes may be worth your time.

You could get some VG (can get it pretty easy at places like Walmart even just make sure it is USP grade) and dilute the juice some. It won't tell if I if it's the nic or the PG that is the culprit unfortunately, but it may give you some sort of idea that yeah, it's one or the other, etc.

Good luck,

Anna

The OP said the juice was shop made, on prem I presume. That leaves me with 2 thoughts. Was the nic level correct when they made the juice? If they make the juice themselves they can easily make the juice with nic salts to 3mg/ml. But you're right, commercially made juice would be hard to get at 3mg/ml in salts because what would be the point? Freebase juice at 3mg/ml made correctly would have almost 0 throat hit.

I find any shop made juice suspect as to accuracy and cleanliness. I've just seen too many bad examples of juice made by small shops. And this is especially true when you go in to a shop and they're out of your juice but can make a bottle for you in a couple minutes and the sales guy disappears into the back room for 10 minutes and comes out 10 minutes later with a fresh bottle of juice for you (unsteeped of course and probably not fit for vaping yet). And the regular juice maker is off that day, but the sales guy can do it no problem. Maybe I'm just too jaded, but I learned from experience years ago when most shops made their own juice this way.

Thinking a bit more, the OP might be best off just buying a small bottle of 3mg/ml freebase quality commercial juice and give it a try to see if the harsh results are the same. That should answer the question of shop made juice issues pretty conclusively.

Could be a mod problem too I guess. Too high wattage for the coil burning wick and becoming very harsh regardless of juice? His mod claims to automatically adjust to the coil being used to be 40~100w (non user selectable, so direct battery voltage?) with quad coil design. So a new coil would be worth trying too. Many possibilities I guess.

• Useful

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I find any shop made juice suspect as to accuracy and cleanliness. I've just seen too many bad examples of juice made by small shops. And this is especially true when you go in to a shop and they're out of your juice but can make a bottle for you in a couple minutes and the sales guy disappears into the back room for 10 minutes and comes out 10 minutes later with a fresh bottle of juice for you (unsteeped of course and probably not fit for vaping yet). And the regular juice maker is off that day, but the sales guy can do it no problem. Maybe I'm just too jaded, but I learned from experience years ago when most shops made their own juice this way.
Not to take this thread too far off track, but back when I was buying juice, I much preferred a couple of shops that would make it to my spec. At the time, it was: 65%VG, 15mg.

Reactions: Jazzman

mac-nutty

Moved On
Mar 2, 2019
pub
@PinchiOgre – you have been given some solid advice to run with, but keep an open mind for they may not be a sure fix to the harness you are experiencing.

In front of me I have a 70VG coffee chocolate mix in one RDA, and a 50VG chocolate doughnut in another same RDA – both have the same 6mg nicotine and operate at the same 65 watts. The coffee with the higher VG, to me, is harsher. As individuals we all have different tolerances.

You are challenged at finding the right juice that suits your style and needs which may not be a hit first time around. As mentioned, just keep an open mind and try a variety of different juices with different levels of VG and different flavours. Does your store allow sampling? If so, take advantage of that and sample away! If not, there may be a bit of trial and error.
the room spins at 3mg here with 60w
, for DL 6mg your mad ;) lol
i go
1mg juice for a dual coil cloud chucker 100w+
3mg for a single coil 50-60w
and 10-12mg for a mtl 18350 mech

Reactions: greek mule

muth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 20, 2014
Boston, MA, USA
It's 60% PG / 40% VG in a 10ml bottle that states it has 3mg of nic. The flavor is Cafe Mocha. Its a house made e liquid from a shop in town.
Well, if the nic isn't fresh it could get harsh. I've got 300mls of juice I'm not vaping because of that. Then again, 60% PG could be kinda harsh on some people's throats. Depends on your sensitivity to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread