Philip Morris debuts a new type of E Cigarette.

Status
Not open for further replies.

e-pipeman

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2008
Brown Edge, England
If it's heating tobacco rather than a liquid with nicotine in it then perhaps it's more a "techno-cigarette" than an "e-cigarette". The heated tobacco will presumably release many "nasties" not found in e-liquid. It may well be a safer form of smoking (though how would I know) but surely it is still smoking? The presence of actual tobacco is the key negative here, perhaps. All imho, of course

cthulhufan

ECF Veteran
Feb 6, 2013
Saint Louis, MO, USA
Sounds interesting. I wouldn't try it myself but if it turns out to be a safer alternative to smoking then I hope it helps somebody kick the real deal. I agree with e-pipeman here, I'd like to see some actual data and I'd be really surprised if it could even come close to an e-cig with regards to what's actually in the vapor.

Stubby

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
Madison, WI USA
The heat not burn idea is nothing new. There are several devices already on the market that vaporize tobacco, though I don't have a link on hand.

Essentially all of the nasties from smoking are a product of combustion. Tobacco isn't the problem, it's the smoke. Smokeless tobacco has the same low risk as vaping, and there is no reason to believe that this product will have any measurable harm compared to ST or vaping.

The more low risk alternatives to smoking on the market the better.

e-pipeman

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2008
Brown Edge, England
The heat not burn idea is nothing new. There are several devices already on the market that vaporize tobacco, though I don't have a link on hand.

Essentially all of the nasties from smoking are a product of combustion. Tobacco isn't the problem, it's the smoke. Smokeless tobacco has the same low risk as vaping, and there is no reason to believe that this product will have any measurable harm compared to ST or vaping.

The more low risk alternatives to smoking on the market the better.

Indeed. But this uses tobacco directly, rather than using pharmaceutical grade nicotine . I imagine that this is not as helpful as vaping in terms of avoiding harmful by-products. There is always an argument to be made for products that are less harmful than smoking. The further away our devices go from using tobacco directly the less harmful they are likely to be imho. When we have vaping, which has already made the leap, I'm less than impressed by a product that still wants to use tobacco directly. Obviously just my opinion. :)

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Indeed. But this uses tobacco directly, rather than using pharmaceutical grade nicotine . I imagine that this is not as helpful as vaping in terms of avoiding harmful by-products. There is always an argument to be made for products that are less harmful than smoking. The further away our devices go from using tobacco directly the less harmful they are likely to be imho. When we have vaping, which has already made the leap, I'm less than impressed by a product that still wants to use tobacco directly. Obviously just my opinion. :)

Yes I agree... I think the fact that it uses Big Tobacco's admittedly-adulterated tobacco is the most troublesome aspect of it. If it used tobacco that had not been adulterated by BT to be more addictive, more dangerous, more-chemical-mayhem-inducing, it would doubtless be a great deal safer than smoking an actual BT cigarette.

And no, probably not as safe as vaping nic-containing eliquid, but safer than actually breathing the smoke from burning tobacco.

As someone said, products safer than burning tobacco are all welcome additions to the market, but as DrMA pointed out.. it does seem to me they're trying to muddy the waters.

Andria

Stubby

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
Madison, WI USA

We already know from the mountain of studies done on smokeless tobacco that tobacco is not the problem. Smokeless tobacco has the same low risk as vaping. You may personally have an issue with tobacco and prefer straight nicotine but the science is telling us it is not an issue.

You stated "The further away our devices go from using tobacco directly the less harmful they are likely to be," but there is no evidence that backs that up, and a whole lot of evidence that contradicts that idea. The only real line to be drawn is between combustion and non-combustion. The risk for non-combusted tobacco is so low that trying to compare risk between one non-combustable product and another (I throw in vaping as a non-combustable tobacco product, though some would argue semantics) is a fools errand. The basic concept that tobacco is the problem and the farther we get away from it the better is flawed.

Last edited:

Dougiestyle

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2011
Knoxville, TN USA
The market already has options for hardware comparable to what is described in the article. These options are intended for use with herbal substances. I firmly believe there IS combustion in the process that causes the "vapor" AKA smoke.

I have a flameless cigarette lighter. It has a battery-powered coil, undoubtedly Kanthal or NiChrome. When the switch is thrown, the coil heats and is intended to be touched to a tobacco cigarette that is lit and smoked. This is the process that PM's new product uses. Heat a coil that is in contact with tobacco. Smoking. Derp.

Stubby

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
Madison, WI USA
The market already has options for hardware comparable to what is described in the article. These options are intended for use with herbal substances. I firmly believe there IS combustion in the process that causes the "vapor" AKA smoke.

I have a flameless cigarette lighter. It has a battery-powered coil, undoubtedly Kanthal or NiChrome. When the switch is thrown, the coil heats and is intended to be touched to a tobacco cigarette that is lit and smoked. This is the process that PM's new product uses. Heat a coil that is in contact with tobacco. Smoking. Derp.

Ploom. Rethink Tobacco.

Products like the ploom, and others heat tobacco below the combustion temperature. There is no smoke. Your flameless lighter heats the element far hotter then the Ploom and no doubt PM's product.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
When we've already got a magic bullet imho looking for a different magic bullet is redundant. Ymmv. :)

Vaping is assuredly not a magic bullet for me; I cannot vape VG over 20%, or I cannot breathe at all. If I vape PG at 80%-85% as I must obviously do, since I can't vape VG, I get the most obscenely, painfully swollen ankles and feet that I can barely walk at all.

I have at some point read something about vaping using polyethylene glycol rather than propylene glycol, and I would be interested in learning more about it, but everyone seems stuck at PG/VG and goes no further, so I have no idea how I could learn more about it.

But definitely no more a magic bullet than antibiotics are, though they were once considered such. It all costs the body something.

Andria

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread