Phoenix tank problem - Odd Flavor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BonnyC

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2010
Georgia
Let me assume this is partially due to what I posted and explain my point of view. I do understand that I can fiddle/tweak and get it work but I don't particularly want to. I purchased it as something that I would not have to as opposed to if I purchase fluxos and know that I will. As I stated I have carts/tanks that I don't need to tweak so I am not sure what I am gaining by wasting my time trying to get this one to not taste horrible.

Also, the 11 bucks isn't the issue, it's the principle. Got Vapes has many things on their website/product page, why not have prep instructions for those that may need it, specifically these and fluxos. None of these things come with instructions and as far as I could tell, the videos show takedown but don't specifically instruct that you should prior to using. So a link to a document with prep/instructions would probably benefit a lot of people. I appreciate the videos showing filling and cleaning but I think some warning about what really needs to be done prior to use would be a good business practice.

I should have known better as I read these forums (more so than my post count would indicate) but not everyone who vapes wants to have to search a forum for instructions on how to have their product operate as advertised. I don't expect it from every little store but I would like to see it from the larger ones.

Oh, it wasn't specifically aimed at you, I've heard it several times since these came out. I wish we didn't have to tweak, but some of them just have thicker wicks, the cup is lower, extra primer or stubborn primer, etc. I've used one that was immediately perfect. No primer in it (I guess I got one of the dry ones), wicked perfectly and all that jazz.

I want to say that I completely agree with you 100000% about having better instructions for the extra stuff like this. Maybe not necessarily a video, but written instructions that can be printed out. I have a hard time absorbing information that I hear but I'm an absolute sponge if I read something. I usually have to watch the videos 3 or 4 times to understand what to do with these things.

Fury83

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 14, 2012
Nowhere
Oh, it wasn't specifically aimed at you, I've heard it several times since these came out. I wish we didn't have to tweak, but some of them just have thicker wicks, the cup is lower, extra primer or stubborn primer, etc. I've used one that was immediately perfect. No primer in it (I guess I got one of the dry ones), wicked perfectly and all that jazz.

I want to say that I completely agree with you 100000% about having better instructions for the extra stuff like this. Maybe not necessarily a video, but written instructions that can be printed out. I have a hard time absorbing information that I hear but I'm an absolute sponge if I read something. I usually have to watch the videos 3 or 4 times to understand what to do with these things.

I think just throwing a link to a instructions doc for prep/use on the product page would go a long way.

Last edited:

rlh445

ECF Veteran
May 2, 2012
Baltimore, Maryland
I realize that this might sound condescending, but please know that I don't mean it that way. I'm completely genuine here.

I'm just amazed that anyone might actually toss one of these due to the flavor without cleaning it or tinkering. I'm sorry if I misunderstood that. And you might not particularly care for tinkering with cartos, but these require *very little* tinkering aside from when you first get them.

I've been vaping for over a year and I more or less expect any carto to come with a crappy taste initially due to whatever they do to keep the wicks wet before they get to a customer. Straight pg/vg or a yucky tobacco flavor like some of these had. You really don't even have to vape through it, that was just how I did it. I used a really stout flavor that mostly covered it up. It wasn't pleasant, but I got through it just fine. YMMV, of course.

Anyway, an initial cleaning should definitely take care of it. I cleaned the XLs after I vaped through it in my 3ml tank and knew what I was in for. I stick it on a battery, take out the seal, wiggle the tube until it comes off and take it off of the battery. Then, I rinse the tube out really well along with the metal tube that runs from the base to the seal and the seal itself. After that, I hold the base under hot running water, turning it so the water runs directly onto the wicks. My water pressure sort of sucks, so if you have high pressure, it might not be a good idea to run it full blast. I sort of fluff the wicks with my finger while I do this to separate the strands while I do this, just so the center gets cleaned at least a little.

Sometimes I leave the tube on first and blow water through it like Christ did on the video before I disassemble it, sometimes I don't. It would probably be best to do that with the first clean if you're trying to get the nasty stuff out. Once I've done all of that, I push a paper towel through the plastic tube to get all of the water out. I put the base on the battery after drying it off a bit and give it a little dry burn. Doesn't take much. Stick the post back in and make sure it's straight, then the tube and the seal. Fill it about halfway and presto, the flavor is fine.

After that, you will have to clean it from time to time but you won't really need to disassemble it. I got some of those Dentek brushes, so I do take mine apart every other or every third cleaning just to scrub the coil a bit because some gunk just needs to be loosened up. But after this first cleaning, it's pretty fiddle free.

Even the ones that give frequent dry hits can almost always be fixed, going by what I've read on the Phoenix thread. I've saved both of the ones I had that did this, although I thinned the wicks too much on one of them and it started flooding/leaking. It's a matter of trimming the wicks a bit, slightly thinning them out or lifting the cup a little. If you're getting dry hits and the wicks are pointing straight up after you take the tube off, you probably need to lift the cup.

All you have to do is stick the tip of your syringe (after cleaning any juice off of it) up the threaded end at a slight angle so it hits the edge of the bottom of the cup. Then you nudge it very gently to avoid breaking a wire or otherwise damaging it, until the wicks aren't pointing upward quite so much. Put about half a ml in it and seen how it does.

If that doesn't help, just turn it upside down and suck all the juice you can out of it. Take off the tube and clean off any juice that wouldn't go to the seal with a paper towel or something and try to trim the wicks. For me, having them flush with the widest part of the base worked well. You can just use some nail clippers for this or cuticle scissors like I did. You can find those anywhere you can buy other nail products like clippers, files, etc. I got mine at the dollar store! And, if that doesn't work, use a pair of tweezers to pull some of the wick out. I think I probably took about maybe 1/4 of the wick on one of mine and it's great. The other, I might have taken half of it which was overkill for me as they weren't THAT thick. I'd suggest that you err on the side of caution.

Again, if you don't like fiddling, please know that you'll only have to do this ONE time. If you're able to get it working properly, then that's that. And don't be afraid to try this stuff if you'd otherwise just be tossing it! You have everything to gain and nothing to lose since tinkering with it is better than just throwing it away. Furthermore, I'm sure someone around here would be happy to take it off your hands and pay for shipping if they believe they can fix it themselves.

[Edit] Dang, I wrote a novel again. Sorry! :blush:

A few weeks ago I bought a 15 pack of 1.7ohm Resurrectors. I've used five so far, and all have performed exactly how they're supposed to. I syringe 'em up, drop a few in the top and vape. No trimming of this and that, no opening it and cleaning it and then sometimes AFTER doing so have the whole thing dump on my Lavatube or Twist like the Phoenixes I bought do. Out of the one five pack I bought (I would have bought more, but as usual there were no more left) two have performed as they were advertised. The rest either worked fine for one fill and then started leaking (I have since fiddled and faddled and think one may be back to working order) and the others I've just put up for awhile because I don't WANT to have to mess with it for it to work right. I don't care if it's 'only one time' or fifty times, I don't want to do that.

Would you buy a car and expect that as a matter of course you'd have to start working on it immediately on the lot before even driving it home because you knew it wouldn't work right out of the gate? No, you wouldn't. Would you say, 'Well it's okay, because it's not the dealership's fault,'. No, you wouldn't. It IS their fault, because they're the ones telling you what the car is going to do, they're the ones taking your money and they're the ones whose job it is to make sure that car runs well for you. I have no problem with GotVapes and actually have just ordered (and it's been shipped) a 3ml Phoenix because I really want to try them out. Maybe I've just had a little bad luck with the smaller ones. I mean the two that work, I love.

The point isn't that I'd only have to fiddle or faddle with them once (which isn't even correct), the point is that I don't want to fiddle faddle at all. If I wanted that, I'd get a rebuildable something or other and mess with that to my heart's content. If a vendor had on their site, 'Buy! Make sure you know you're gonna have to mess with this a bit,' and I buy then it's on me. If a vendor has on their site that it's, 'Easily maintained,' then I expect that, not a constant worrying about whether or not my clearo is silently dripping all over my battery connector or, 'Oh crap, it's time to refill..is this the day I have one less clearo?,'.

Once again (oh look I wrote a novel too hehehe :) ) this isn't a knock per say on GotVapes, but just my feelings when I read your post.

BonnyC

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2010
Georgia
my feelings when I read your post.

Well, I'm sorry you feel that way. I'm sorry I made you feel that way, it wasn't my intention. I'm just trying to be helpful and possibly encouraging.

I am, right now, putting my mom's Phoenix XL I gave her last week through the ringer. It's dumping juice, too. I suspect that she's made the hole too big that the syringe goes through by forcing it through instead of easing it through to find the hole that was already made. I have it loaded and standing up on the table and I'm gonna see if it leaks. If it does, that's probably the problem. If it doesn't, then she probably didn't have the rubber seal seated properly. No sign of leaking yet, but it hasn't been long. If I can pinpoint a reason that it would suddenly start dumping juice, I'll let you know. It might be the same issue.

The car scenario isn't accurate for me. I just do not buy a product that hasn't been around for long and expect it to be exactly as advertised. That happens with cars, too. That's why they get recalled for this or that.

I've had my issues with GV items, but they've been so awesome that I still wouldn't go anywhere else. The stardusts I've had started cracking within the first week and the Stone didn't like me at all, but it was lovely when it worked. The Vision Extremes were just awesome, I've never had trouble. The Fluxos didn't do it for me, but tons of other people love them. These are the first ones that I can set up and just vape with no issues whatsoever.

Either way, hopefully this Alpha program will help out a lot. I have high hopes.

CoyoteRed

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 5, 2010
Prospect Park, Pa.
I think just throwing a link to a instructions doc for prep/use on the product page would go a long way.
Even tho they are sold out if you click on the phoenix product page there is a 16 minute video that Badkollo did toward the bottom of the page if you haven't seen it may help.

Fury83

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 14, 2012
Nowhere
Even tho they are sold out if you click on the phoenix product page there is a 16 minute video that Badkollo did toward the bottom of the page if you haven't seen it may help.

I mentioned it in a previous post. I don't recall anything being said in it about cleaning/prepping prior to use to not have a bad taste.

It's not that I can't or don't understand how to take it down, I just think it should be up front if you need to prior to using it.

badkolo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2009
Whitestone , New York USA
A few weeks ago I bought a 15 pack of 1.7ohm Resurrectors. I've used five so far, and all have performed exactly how they're supposed to. I syringe 'em up, drop a few in the top and vape. No trimming of this and that, no opening it and cleaning it and then sometimes AFTER doing so have the whole thing dump on my Lavatube or Twist like the Phoenixes I bought do. Out of the one five pack I bought (I would have bought more, but as usual there were no more left) two have performed as they were advertised. The rest either worked fine for one fill and then started leaking (I have since fiddled and faddled and think one may be back to working order) and the others I've just put up for awhile because I don't WANT to have to mess with it for it to work right. I don't care if it's 'only one time' or fifty times, I don't want to do that.

Would you buy a car and expect that as a matter of course you'd have to start working on it immediately on the lot before even driving it home because you knew it wouldn't work right out of the gate? No, you wouldn't. Would you say, 'Well it's okay, because it's not the dealership's fault,'. No, you wouldn't. It IS their fault, because they're the ones telling you what the car is going to do, they're the ones taking your money and they're the ones whose job it is to make sure that car runs well for you. I have no problem with GotVapes and actually have just ordered (and it's been shipped) a 3ml Phoenix because I really want to try them out. Maybe I've just had a little bad luck with the smaller ones. I mean the two that work, I love.

The point isn't that I'd only have to fiddle or faddle with them once (which isn't even correct), the point is that I don't want to fiddle faddle at all. If I wanted that, I'd get a rebuildable something or other and mess with that to my heart's content. If a vendor had on their site, 'Buy! Make sure you know you're gonna have to mess with this a bit,' and I buy then it's on me. If a vendor has on their site that it's, 'Easily maintained,' then I expect that, not a constant worrying about whether or not my clearo is silently dripping all over my battery connector or, 'Oh crap, it's time to refill..is this the day I have one less clearo?,'.

Once again (oh look I wrote a novel too hehehe :) ) this isn't a knock per say on GotVapes, but just my feelings when I read your post.

but this isnt a car that cost 30k, and while a dollar is a dollar your analogy doesnt work out, now you might have bought resurectors with no issues but other shave had issues, this applies to all ecig material, provape had to replace 3000 inner springs last year, does that make the provari bad, and if you want to use the car analogy, i bouhgt 4 chevys, all had issues weeks later, and guess what, you cant get your money back for the car, you have to go to repairs. lemon law doesnt work that simply.

so i get what your saying but this then woudl pertain to every vendor out there and every product out there because if you go look at many places their is always a customer which will have a issue with a product that might be perfect for you and vice versa.

at least know we hear you all and listen and are active ont eh forums every day and work on improving products all the time.

i also agree fiddling shouldn't be there, but at the same time when it takes 10 minutes to fill a filler carto, that fiddling to me yet people dont complain about those things, so know that with each product we do our best to try to make them fiddle free, it doesnt always work out that way but we try and will continue on the route.

Fury83

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 14, 2012
Nowhere
but this isnt a car that cost 30k, and while a dollar is a dollar your analogy doesnt work out, now you might have bought resurectors with no issues but other shave had issues, this applies to all ecig material, provape had to replace 3000 inner springs last year, does that make the provari bad, and if you want to use the car analogy, i bouhgt 4 chevys, all had issues weeks later, and guess what, you cant get your money back for the car, you have to go to repairs. lemon law doesnt work that simply.

so i get what your saying but this then woudl pertain to every vendor out there and every product out there because if you go look at many places their is always a customer which will have a issue with a product that might be perfect for you and vice versa.

at least know we hear you all and listen and are active ont eh forums every day and work on improving products all the time.

i also agree fiddling shouldn't be there, but at the same time when it takes 10 minutes to fill a filler carto, that fiddling to me yet people dont complain about those things, so know that with each product we do our best to try to make them fiddle free, it doesnt always work out that way but we try and will continue on the route.

Let's be honest, none of us care about your car but we do care and are here to discuss the products on your site. I am sure there will always be customers with issues with something but when a large number of people have the same problem, it's probably the product.

I can't recall seeing someone post about a fluxo that tasted decent without fiddling, so why shouldn't that be part of it's description? These tanks seem to need to be taken down and cleaned prior to use, why not say that some where?

badkolo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2009
you should though, because its a high priced item that people have issues with with no recourse, and no your 100% inccorect
for half of the people with issues we find half are user error so your jumping into your own conclusion on that, being on the oustide looking in can do that, but if you saw what we saw then you would understand that simply doesnt work like that, just yesterday i had 4 people pm me with a rant on how something doesnt work only to pm me a srorry reply becuase it was their error.

now when dealing with 1000's of one product a issue can appear and my point is it even happens with 30,ooo dollar items and even 1,000,000 dollar products.
we have many reports of people just using them as is just like dan did on video.

so now if X car company has 10 cars out of 30,000 that might have a issue, do they go out and say that, NO, cause its minor and can be dealt with.

Last edited:

Fury83

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 14, 2012
Nowhere
you should though, because its a high priced item that people have issues with with no recourse, and no your 100% inccorect
for half of the people with issues we find half are user error so your jumping into your own conclusion on that, being on the oustide looking in can do that, but if you saw what we saw then you would understand that simply doesnt work like that, just yesterday i had 4 people pm me with a rant on how something doesnt work only to pm me a srorry reply becuase it was their error.

now when dealing with 1000's of one product a issue can appear and my point is it even happens with 30,ooo dollar items and even 1,000,000 dollar products.
we have many reports of people just using them as is just like dan did on video.

so now if X car company has 10 cars out of 30,000 that might have a issue, do they go out and say that, NO, cause its minor and can be dealt with.

I filled my phoenix tank exactly as shown in the video and it tastes like burnt rubber. Even if 50% of the errors are user error; how would telling people to take them down and clean them out prior to use hurt anything?

My conclusion on say fluxos is reading everywhere about how they need to be modded and also having experienced it.

Your car is misdirection, it is entirely not relevant. Your car having issues doesn't make me happier about a crappy tasting product I bought from you. We all know products can have defects or issues, that's not what I have an issue with.

Do you honestly think it is a bad thing to inform people that their tank may operate better if taken down/cleaned prior to the first use? Same thing with Fluxos; would a tip sheet hurt?

badkolo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2009
oh it wouldnt, and your correct on that point, that wasnt something that was fully notcied until more people mentioned that it had a nasty juice in them, which is why the new versions have no juice primer at all and on things like that ill try to be proactive with that as youll see a new announcement coming about changes we are making.

people expect different things form each product, i cans imply fill a fluxo and vape it, others might not, but you dont need to mod a fluxo, people choose to do so to get the performance they expect form them, as i said i have to spend 20 minutes to fill a egi dual coil with filler, im not calling that a issue but easily could while to others thats just fine.

Are all vendors doing this on the same products we sell and are oyu there telling them this too or your just coming in here to complain about that

actually, if you would look at this thread and others i have mentioned how to take them apart clean them and put them together if they have one with the primer in them, something that almost all dripping atomizers have come with but i dont see that being a issue, its someting people do.

now we personally dont like products having primer or even pg/vg, but it happens across the board with many vendors.

seeing as you just joined in may with 25 posts ill take it that your new, if thats the case then maybe you dont know i do videos on products and try to help people out with issues, now you do. Thats what this forum is for as well, if you need help we will try to help you out and our wonderful posters will try to help you out as well.

Last edited:

Fury83

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 14, 2012
Nowhere
oh it wouldnt, and your correct on that point, that wasnt something that was fully notcied until more people mentioned that it had a nasty juice in them, which is why the new versions have no juice primer at all and on things like that ill try to be proactive with that as youll see a new announcement coming about changes we are making

All I am asking for is a heads up on how to use the product best without having to google it. That seems to be disassembly and cleaning prior to use.

people expect different things form each product, i cans imply fill a fluxo and vape it, others might not, but you dont need to mod a fluxo, people choose to do so to get the performance they expect form them, as i said i have to spend 20 minutes to fill a egi dual coil with filler, im not calling that a issue but easily could while to others thats just fine.

Every fluxo that I have ever used tastes like burnt plastic/rubber until modded. So unless that was my expectation, I would be modding it.

Are all vendors doing this on the same products we sell and are oyu there telling them this too or your just coming in here to complain about that

I have not witnessed any vendors doing the things I suggested, if I had, I would just buy from them. I already buy from you (around $150 in the last month) so I figured here would be a good place. So I am not just "coming in here to complain" at you for ha ha's or whatever the insinuation may be. Besides, isn't this subforum for you to hear your customers opinions? If not, lemme know and I'll move along. Also, just because everybody else does it, doesn't make it a good practice.

actually, if you would look at this thread and others i have mentioned how to take them apart clean them and put them together if they have one with the primer in them, something that almost all dripping atomizers have come with but i dont see that being a issue, its someting people do.

now we personally dont like products having primer or even pg/vg, but it happens across the board with many vendors.

Yeah, like I said, a heads up on that would be nice. Taking it apart is less fun after having just filled it.

badkolo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2009
ok gotchya

if you just want be to help you here ill do so.

on your 3ml, screw it onto a battery, and pull off the sleeve, remove the inner plug with any small too or needle

wiggle off the main plastic body, it will come off with wiggling it, now remove the center metal pole

remove the unit from your battery
and run it under hot water, give it a good cleaning, you can also leave the plastic tube on before removing it and then pwer flushing water through it by filling it with running hot water and blowing it out and repeat that a few times, if not simply wash it out without the tube, then pat it down dry.

place it on your battery and give it a dry burn, meaning press the button on your battery for 3 to 4 seconds that pause, then repeat this again and pause, do this until you see the coil start to glow, give it a final burn then put it together and fill, you should be good to go, sometimes you might still have a little weird taste form the primer juice but that will go away quickly

here is i video that towards the middle to end i do this on video.

Phoenix xl & phoenix 3ml IN STOCK NOW, Showcase & Cleaning - YouTube

hope that helps you out and if not you can pm me and ill help you further.

rlh445

ECF Veteran
May 2, 2012
Baltimore, Maryland

A dollar is a dollar, you're right! It works out fine to me, but apparently I'm weird lol..nobody else gets it because they're comparing the whole vehicle to a clearo instead of looking at it from farther away. I could have used anything - a fridge, a washer, a pack of number two pencils..I'm glad everyone got where I was going with it anyway. If you buy a car and weeks later it's having issues, you don't have to pay for the whole thing or even most of it, that's what warranties are for lol.

so i get what your saying but this then woudl pertain to every vendor out there and every product out there because if you go look at many places their is always a customer which will have a issue with a product that might be perfect for you and vice versa. at least know we hear you all and listen and are active ont eh forums every day and work on improving products all the time.

I know that Bad, that's why I made sure to state a couple of times that I'm not knocking GotVapes or anything for it. It was a broader spectrum that I was trying to hit and was pointing more to my own feelings on the matter.

It takes me ten seconds to fill up my syringe and another thirty to inject it into my carto. It hardly takes ten minutes :p although once again I have to thank GotVapes because they gave me a FREE syringe when I got my Phoenixes. :D

Anyway, thanks for sharing your thoughts too Bad, and again..I wasn't slamming GotVapes or any other vendor really..just how I feel about some having a more laissez faire attitude towards having to tinker and stuff.

badkolo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2009
oh i fully understand guys, no offense taken and dont take any from me either, im doing ten things at once at the moment preparing for some major surprises coming, so im just answering off the cuff.

Know that we arent here to swindle anyone, we care about all of you and are as active as possible can be here.
We are growing rapidly and many things you mention are all good things we should look at,not everyone is super experienced and it would help with better video and better instructions and we will handle that as well. Our goal is to get you better products and to improve what can be improved and we also nee dto include you all as well in on that and try to make your experiences a smoother one

the fact that some people feel they need to fiddle with the fluxo ce2 even though many like them as is, is one of the reasons they are being phased out eventually in place of the new phoenix top coil.

ckim111

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2009
I filled my phoenix tank exactly as shown in the video and it tastes like burnt rubber. Even if 50% of the errors are user error; how would telling people to take them down and clean them out prior to use hurt anything?

My conclusion on say fluxos is reading everywhere about how they need to be modded and also having experienced it.

Your car is misdirection, it is entirely not relevant. Your car having issues doesn't make me happier about a crappy tasting product I bought from you. We all know products can have defects or issues, that's not what I have an issue with.

Do you honestly think it is a bad thing to inform people that their tank may operate better if taken down/cleaned prior to the first use? Same thing with Fluxos; would a tip sheet hurt?

+1

Yes the Information may be scattered on the website or even in the forum. But it would be great if products that have workarounds for known potential issues, can be shipped with a even a small sheet of instructions. Other vendors have done this before and little things like this really goes a long way for the customers. Yes you didn't create the problems or the products. But expecting instructions with the product when it's shipped is not unreasonable. In fact just about any other product or gadget you buy comes with instructions. Why should we expect anything less for this?

harleydiva

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 9, 2012
Southern Michigan
My 3ml Phoenix started tasting a little weird...so it, and the one I haven't used yet are both in the ultrasonic cleaner. Thing works great....run half and half white vinegar and water for a few cycles, then filtered water for a few more. My stardusts are going over 6 weeks now with this method, other than a few that cracked. Saw a note a couple days ago saying that some of the cracking may be a result of over tightening them on the battery....kind of makes sense.

BonnyC

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2010
Georgia
Bad, I agree that there should be a more readily available problem-solving document/write-up out there. While I realize that many of the problems are user error, not everyone knows what they might have done and how to pinpoint the problem, much less fix it. They don't want to have to do research to find out or search through 50+ page threads.

Now, this is what I think. Every new product should have its own thread. The person that posts the thread should be in charge of maintaining the first post. As people find issues and fixes, they should update the original post to reflect it. Then, on the product page, you can simply link to said thread. It's easy, customer maintained and it would be really helpful in reducing the amount of hate mail you get (maybe).

Thoughts?

The link could say something along the lines of: "If your product is not performing well, check this thread for possible fixes" or whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread