Picking up first mechanical

Status
Not open for further replies.

krew

Feb 7, 2013
Hi
Alright so I know I created a thread about 5 months ago about picking up a K100 but only i'm gonna take the leap. Haven't been here for awhile but I know how fast thing can change in the ecig world. So i'm planning on making an order from fasttech soon and need help getting everything I need.

I gonna be going with the k101 for $23 and chimbus.

1. First of all what chimbus is the one everyone is buying? V5 with how many holes??

2. With k101 and chimbus what sub ohm should I aim for?(single,dual coil)(.7ohm??)

3. For silica and kanthal, what size should I buy? Anyone order from Amazon?

4. I have the panasonic 18650 batts that came with my Vamo, will those work with this setup? I also have efest v1 18350.

Please if you have any experience with the set up I'm gonna purchased don't be afraid to chime in. Thanks

TrentTC

ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2013
Tacoma, WA
It seems to me you should definitely wait on building anything sub ohm. You need to read up on battery safety and make sure you know what you are doing. Do you know if the battery you have is protected/unprotected? IMR or ICR? What is the max continuos amperage drain for it? Have you ever used rba's before? If not, I'd recommend building your coils to start at levels that will fire on your vamo (above 1.2 ohms). Once you get the hang of that you can start experimenting with other builds. Know anything about amps? Ohms law? Not trying to be rude. You need to be safe.

Last edited:

krew

Feb 7, 2013
Hi
Thanks for the replies guys, been reading and watching videos alot today and got a better understanding. For example for batteries the aw imr 18650 1600 is recommended, recharge around 3.5 volts. Don't stack, I already have an Intellicharger which is a good charger. If I aim between .5 and .8 I should be good since I seen people run much lower ohms on same battery. Also to answer your question I have built my vivi nova many times. My only question now is to what silica and kanthal size to purchase?

TrentTC

ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2013
Tacoma, WA
Sounds pretty good. To achieve low and sub ohms you'll need thicker wire. 4 wraps of 28 gauge with a 1/16 drill bit gets me about .8 ohms. The same coil with 26 gauge gets me around .5 ohms. I use organic cotton, ss mesh, or 2 strands of 3 mm silica. In drippers cotton is my favorite. For batteries I'd also recommend MNKE 18650's, or Sony 18650 VTC4.

krew

Feb 7, 2013
Hi
Do you like running dual or single coils? I might pick up both 26 and 28 gauge from ebay. Also where do you get your silica? Found some on Amazon. I tried cotton from walmart that didn't taste so well in my vivi nova, but different in a dripper.
Sounds pretty good. To achieve low and sub ohms you'll need thicker wire. 4 wraps of 28 gauge with a 1/16 drill bit gets me about .8 ohms. The same coil with 26 gauge gets me around .5 ohms. I use organic cotton, ss mesh, or 2 strands of 3 mm silica. In drippers cotton is my favorite. For batteries I'd also recommend MNKE 18650's, or Sony 18650 VTC4.

TrentTC

ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2013
Tacoma, WA
The coils I told you were for single coils. With dual coils that size you would cut the resistance in half. 2 four wrap coils of 28 gauge would give you around .4 ohms and 2 four wrap coils of 26 gauge would give you around .25 ohms with a 1/16 drillbit. If you're going to use cotton make sure you get unbleached organic cotton. I like to boil my cotton as I find it helps rid it of that funky flavor. I've bought silica off of Amazon before and it suited me fine. Look up ekowool if you like silica. I think it wicks better than regular silica. The 26 gauge wire is thick. Takes a bit of time to heat up. It really shines at .5 ohms or less for me. With 28 gauge I'll go up to about .8 ohms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread