Pizza Dave Delivers - A Kit Review - The Flint by Geekvape

Status
Not open for further replies.

pizzadave80

ECF Veteran
Dec 23, 2016
Hello everyone, Pizza Dave here, delivering you a review of the Flint by Geekvape. The Flint is the latest compact starter kit from Geekvape. It features a cylindrical design, 950 mah battery, 3 power settings, and comes with the 2ml Flint MTL tank. This kit is designed to compete with the likes of pod systems, as the draw, capacity, and battery life are similar. Let’s see how this competes in the highly competitive pod market.

DISCLAIMER: This device and liquid was sent to me by Geekvape for review.

WHAT YOU GET

• Flint 950mah battery
  • Flint MTL tank (2ml)
  • Spare 2ml glass
  • 1 – 1.6-ohm NS coil
  • 1 – 1.2-ohm NS coil
  • USB charging cable
  • Spare O-rings bag
  • Instruction manual (sample did not have this)

Available in Black, Gunmetal, Blue, and Rainbow

STOCK SHOT
sPclm0b.jpg

SAMPLE PACKAGING
ogiXvAA.jpg

OUT OF BOX
585FNcj.jpg

OPERATION

This device is a simple starter kit. That being said, even though I didn’t have a manual, I was able to figure it out. 5 clicks on will turn the device on and off which is indicated by the LED light on the side. Since this device has selectable power mode which is indicated by LED color and is changed with 3 clicks of the fire button.

Red is for 3.2v

Blue is for 3.5v

Green is for 3.8v

The LED indication also flashes for faults and will flash red when the battery is low. Without a book I was not able to get into details of each flash, so I kind of had to wing it here. I didn’t see any indication of battery level other than it fires in the color of the voltage selected and goes red when dead and needs charging. I never had a middle point for battery life.

The last tidbit of information I can list here is the fill method. This has a standard slide top fill. It has a nice sized kidney shaped hole, fits snug, and has a well-marked arrow to indicate where to push to open.

MISCELLANEOUS PHOTOS

Les4Ub4.jpg

o69qNVt.jpg

i15nc2D.jpg

HOW IT VAPES / FINAL THOUGHTS

So, do I love the Flint, or is it just another pod-like device? In all honesty, it’s a cool kit, but just missed the mark for me. It has plenty of good to offer. The flavor is somewhere in the middle road for pod and starter systems of this nature. The 1.2-ohm coil was much better than the 1.6-ohm, but it still doesn’t provide what other devices can. Another spot where Geekvape missed the mark for me was with battery indication. I would have loved to see some LED indication for middle of the road battery level, rather than another small system that shows just “good” or “bad”. Those two things are by far the biggest cons here. A nitpicky con is that the drip tip is fixed and cannot be changed. If you hate Ultem you are out of luck here. However, with these few cons, there are some good things to be said for it as well. The build quality is something I would tip my hat for, as, for it’s size, it feels remarkably well built. They also hit the nail on the head with the refill method and capacity. I was able to go all day without a refill, which is excellent. These cons are all good and well, but where this really excels is the draw. With 5 varying sizes in air flow, this one offers a draw that will be suited for many of the MTL vapors out there. The smallest is a very tight MTL, while the largest is a restricted direct lung inhale or very loose MTL. I love how this draw feels and I preferred to rock it on the middle hole. I won’t be able to provide a definitive answer on coil life as I split my usage between both coils. I refilled the tank on each coil several times, and neither of them seem like they are near end of life, even if they are the tiniest coils in the world. I am going to assume these are going to last about the same as a standard pod system (5-8 refills). I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with this device. It didn’t offer enough to make me gravitate towards wanting to use it every chance I could, but it also was good enough to satisfy my cravings when I needed it.

Something I will just add in here that I didn’t know much about is an IPX5 rating. Their site claims that the chipset is water resistant. I don’t know how it is possible, with an exposed USB port and no major sealing, but they rated it this way so I would assume they did at least some testing?

THE OVEN TEST

If this one accidentally went into the pizza oven, would I go out and buy another? No

PROS

• Nice build quality
  • Good fill method
  • Great air flow adjustment
  • Small size
  • Water-resistant design

CONS

• No multi-level battery indication
  • Fixed in place drip tip
  • Flavor is ok, but beaten out my other devices on the market

Thank you all for reading this review and thank you to Geekvape for sending it my way for review. I am seeing this online for about $30.

Pizza Dave – Delivering real reviews, with no extra toppings

REVIEW CRITERIA: I use each item for about two weeks to ensure I have collected enough data to adequately write a review. I use the same e liquid in tanks or rdas throughout all my reviews to ensure that I am comparing apples to apples between all modern equipment. I do not post reviews until I feel confident that I have used it enough to give an educated review. The reason I started doing reviews was due to poor purchasing decisions in my vaping infancy about two years ago. Back then, I purchased several different pieces of hardware without really enjoying it and I hope my reviews can guide people into spending their hard-earned money more wisely than I did! ****Keep in mind that some items I receive may be pre-release and not in retail packaging. Quality may be less than the finished product and what is in the package may differ from the retail package as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread