Pizza Dave Delivers - An AIO Review - The Origin by OXVA

Status
Not open for further replies.

pizzadave80

ECF Veteran
Dec 23, 2016

INTRODUCTION

Hello everyone and welcome to another review by me, Pizza Dave. Today I will be going over the Origin AIO by OXVA. This company has been around for a little while now, and they are known for making AIOs and pod systems. Just a little tidbit of info about this, but the lead designer is the same one that made the Aegis series for Geekvape. I don’t know the backstory as to if he left the company, or if OXVA is a subsidiary company, but that’s just what I am told. Anyways,, so many pod systems hit the market and they don’t have anything new or innovative to offer, that is not the case with the Origin. At first glance, one would assume this has its own battery due to its size. However, this houses an external 18650, which is super impressive. It also has a small display which shows everything you need know, all while maintaining this small frame. Without further adieu, let’s get right to it eh?

This device was sent to me by OXVA for review.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

WHAT YOU GET

• 1 Origin device
  • 1 3ml pod
  • 1 Airflow ring (goes on base of coil)
  • 1 .3-ohm UNI mesh coil
  • 1 .5-ohm UNI mesh coil
  • 1 Micro USB charging cable
  • Paperwork
  • They also sell an optional rba base

Available in a black/red, Brilliant Black (all black), Muzo Green (rainbow), Carbon/Black, and Silver Aurora (my model)

STOCK SHOT
woI72yg.jpg

PACKAGING
GilhyWw.jpg

UNBOXED
XRbv0UZ.jpg

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Measurements: 113.5mm x 32.8mm x 23.5mm

Battery: Single 18650

Power Range - 5-40w

Capacity - 3ml

Other features: Adjustable power output, adjustable airflow, RBA available separately.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS / SUMMARY

Wow, this fits an 18650? Going into it, I knew it handled that battery, but I was super impressed by the size of it in my hand. Along with this slim design comes a solid feel and nice trim as well. My model is Silver Aurora, which essentially has a polished trim with white/blue mixed side panels. Starting at the top, there is a proprietary drip tip which slides over top of a slim stem. It offers a 510-like opening. On one side, there is a viewing window for liquid, three airflow inlets, and their Logo. On the face, there is a recessed fire button, display, adjustment button, and a charge port. Pop on over to the other side, and you’ll find a magnetic battery door with a small slit for removal. This door is held solidly in place with the magnets, and it has no wiggle room. The door feels a bit cheap as it is 100% plastic, but I understand using this for the application. Once the door is opened, there is the pod up top, and 18650 battery tray at the bottom. Let’s get into how to operate and the usage next.

OPERATION

The Origin is a device which has quite a few features, but still keeps it simple. It has a fire button, screen, and a single button for adjustment. Here are the basics.

• 5 clicks of the fire button turns the device on and off
  • Pressing the adjustment button raises the wattage in 1-watt increments and it round robins after 40w
  • The chip automatically sets a recommended wattage upon insertion, so it’s already in the ballpark when you get started. It also limits the peak wattage based on the resistance, preventing one from going too hot and burning a coil up.
  • Pressing the fire button and adjustment button together will lock out the device completely. It will not fire when locked. Press this again to unlock.

That’s about all you need to know to run it. The screen shows battery level, resistance, power setting, and voltage output. It will also notify you when there is a fault. The fire button has an illuminated ring when firing and will flash when there is a fault as well.

POD / COILS

The origin pod section reminds me of a differently shaped Artery Pal II. They have a small indeed where you pry the pod out of the device. They swivel out of the top section of the device and then are pulled straight out. It has a side flapper for refills, and coils which are inserted through the bottom. The coils thread into an air flow ring for adjustment. Airflow comes in through the side of the device and right into the AFC. Adjusting it can be a pain when inserted, but once set, you won’t need to fiddle any more. Liquid level is viewable through the a cut out on the side of the device, or one could quickly pop open the battery bay for a better look. This system works and keeps things compact, but let’s look at their coils, as this is always the make or break point for pod systems.

.3-ohm UNI mesh coil - I ran this coil at 30w with 6mg liquid. I was actually surprised at how hard this hit, and 6mg was almost too strong. Flavor and vapor on point, and airflow wide open on the AFC is more of a restricted lung than MTL.

.5-ohm UNI mesh coil - I ran this one at 15w with the same 6mg liquid. It was more enjoyable with this coil. I turned the airflow down to ⅓ - ½ and found it to be a nice MTL vape. Flavor is good, vapor is cut back a little, and it would be the coil I would push people towards if they are using this device to quit smoking.

RBA Base - I was sent the RBA to review as well. This kit comes with a ni80 2.5mm spaced round wire coil that comes in at .6-ohms. I pushed the limits on this a little more and went for 20w. It built up the warmth a bit and vapes very well. I enjoy rebuilding and love the longevity one can get out of a device with an RBA. If coils are no longer produced, one can just build their own for a long time, and for cheaper. This RBA isn’t too bad to build either. It has a compact 2 screw design, so one coil leg goes one way and the other in the opposite direction. It has small wicking slots on the sides and not retaining ring, so simply wetting the cotton down and tucking downward holds it in place before you screw the top portion on. It took a little bit of fiddling to get the cotton thinned enough and to the right length, but once set, boom… done. I never had issues with it keeping up at 20w and the performance is solid. Flavor from this isn’t leaps and bounds away form their UNI coils though, so if you like their coils and don’t want to rebuild, you don’t have to opt. for the RBA, I just love the option to have this. Oh… and it comes with a 510 base, so you can build this thing on a regular mod, work out hot spots, and have a stable base to build on.

Since everyone will ask about it, the coil life on these is about the industry average. I used some sweeter liquid and got somewhere around 20-30mls through the coils before they started to get burnt. Nothing crazy, just average.

PHOTO GALLERY

LKBiPFh.jpg

CEAgnpV.jpg

VUTiZmx.jpg

e5gtsPS.jpg

A3HxST9.jpg

wg4kQGe.jpg

yQWzXCS.jpg

VPifXMJ.jpg

HOW IT VAPES / FINAL THOUGHTS

I pretty much already stated how it vapes in the coil section above, but here is some more info. The coils, the device, and everything all work well. This is something different, and I appreciate that. I love that it takes an external 18650. That battery leads to incredible battery life, going days on end before swapping out. The compact size is convenient as well, making it very pocketable. The frame is solid, and it doesn’t feel cheap at all. There isn’t really much to complain about on this one, at least nothing that’s a deal breaker. One con is the fire button recess. It sometimes takes a minute to find it. Sure, this leads to safety in the pocket, not being pressed easily, but it is still kind of a pain. Another con is fingerprints. The polished frame on mine showed them quite a bit, but not as bad as one might think. The last con is the drip tip. It is proprietary, so if you lose it or chew it all the ...., you are screwed. That’s really it. This is a great AIO that is compact, simple, and vapes well. I get so many pod systems that I sometimes go into autopilot when reviewing them. This one though, has enough features to interest me, and it is well thought out.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OVEN TEST – If this were to accidentally fall into the pizza oven, would I go out and get another? I may not rush and snag another, as like every AIO, they come and go at a high rate. However, I plan on using this one as an on the go device with the RBA. It works well, and I dig it.

PROS

• Good flavor
  • Good coils
  • Adjustable output
  • Adjustable Airflow
  • 18650 battery for the win
  • Compact size
  • RBA option

CONS

• Fire button is small and recessed
  • Polished frame shows fingerprints
  • Drip tip is proprietary

Thank you everyone and thank you to OXVA for sending this my way for review. I am seeing these online for about $40 US or roughly £32 in the UK.

BONUS GIVEAWAY - Head over to my Instagram (pizzadave_reviews) for a giveaway. It will be posted up shortly. THis giveaway is good for US and Europe. If you haven’t been to my IG before, I post pictures of all the stuff I review as well as stuff I purchase.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Pizza Dave – delivering real reviews with no extra toppings

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

REVIEW CRITERIA: I use each item for about two weeks to ensure I have collected enough data to adequately write a review. I use the same e liquid in tanks or rdas throughout all my reviews to ensure that I am comparing apples to apples between all modern equipment. I do not post reviews until I feel confident that I have used it enough to give an educated review. The reason I started doing reviews was due to poor purchasing decisions in my vaping infancy about two years ago. Back then, I purchased several different pieces of hardware without really enjoying it and I hope my reviews can guide people into spending their hard-earned money more wisely than I did! ****Keep in mind that some items I receive may be pre-release and not in retail packaging. Quality may be less than the finished product and what is in the package may differ from the retail package as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread