Please HELP! Problems with new REO Mini (flooded atty?)!

Status
Not open for further replies.

patch

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2012
nyc
Hi guys - I want to become a full-blown REOnaut, just picked up a tumbled raw aluminum mini REO, but I have not been able to get it to work!

Typically I vape on VV Mods at around 4.5-5.2V, and am pretty much exclusively a dripper...so I have atomizers around BUT NO CARTOMIZERS TO EXPERIMENT WITH.

I picked up about 6 of the LR 1.5 Ohm atomizers on the REOSMODS website because I had been reading that LR is the way to go with this 3.7V device.

In any case, I filled the REO mini just as I saw on some videos. I used the LR atty and was able to take maybe 5 hits with the LR atty getting pretty hot (is this to be expected? I typically use high resistance attys with my VV devices?)

As soon as I squeezed the bottle, I got a slurping sound and the atty wasn't firing...I proceeded to try 3 more of the LR attys that I picked up and each time there was slurping and I wasn't even able to vape at all. AT first I thought the attys were DOA but then I checked using a voltage meter and they were in fact firing at around 4.17V.

Even stranger though--after blowing them out and redripping, I wasn't able to use them in my VV PV (there would be slurping wet sound but it didn't seem as if the coils were heating at all).

As I said earlier, I am exclusively a dripper and have never had problems with flooded attys. Is that what is happening here? Are these attys just shot?

Please give a burgeoning REOnaut some advice--the mod is beautiful and I want to love it (was desperately looking forward to the VV Woodvill) but I can't even get this one to work at all!

washvap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2011
wa
I picked up about 6 of the LR 1.5 Ohm atomizers on the REOSMODS website because I had been reading that LR is the way to go with this 3.7V device.

In any case, I filled the REO mini just as I saw on some videos. I used the LR atty and was able to take maybe 5 hits with the LR atty getting pretty hot (is this to be expected? I typically use high resistance attys with my VV devices?)

As soon as I squeezed the bottle, I got a slurping sound and the atty wasn't firing...I proceeded to try 3 more of the LR attys that I picked up and each time there was slurping and I wasn't even able to vape at all. AT first I thought the attys were DOA but then I checked using a voltage meter and they were in fact firing at around 4.17V.

Even stranger though--after blowing them out and redripping, I wasn't able to use them in my VV PV (there would be slurping wet sound but it didn't seem as if the coils were heating at all).

1.5ohm atties are pretty delicate. Meaning that they can be killed fairly quickly if your not careful. Even Cisco atties can be killed relatively quickly if you chain vape them. Learned this from experience when I started using a REO. Actually killed 7 of them in one month.

They do get very hot after about 5 hits and it's good to give them a rest at that time. At least a few minutes before you feed it again. If you keep going then it's almost the same effect as dry burning them. You can pop the coil easily at this point. Also, if you try to feed it when the coil is hot then you can pop the coil as well.

Which sounds like what happened when you squonked. When you say it was firing, was it on an adapter or on a volt indicator? If it's firing on the volt indicator then somehow, the connection on the atty must have recessed a little by you tightening the atty on your REO too much.

There is one big difference between dripping and bottom feeding. You can actually see how much is fed when you dripped compared to a bottom feeder. That will depend on how much pressure you use when you squonk. Generally, very light pressure will equal out to be about 3 drops if done correctly.

It just takes a little bit of time to get over the learning curve. Also, I would recommend giving some Cisco atties a try next time. Also, you might wanna get a 1.8ohm atty since they are more forgiving.

Lastly, you should make a thread here as well. Since a lot of REOnauts don't even know this sub-forum exists:

Reos Mods

Last edited:

patch

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2012
nyc
thanks for the great advice, juicejunky and washvap! yeah, when i tested the LR attys it was with a voltage meter and strangely they were reading at ~4V. stranger still, although i blew out the primer fluid and reprimed them prior to trying them on my reo, when i tested them with my voltage meter there was no hissing sound of juice getting vaporized...so i thought this was suspicious.

i didn't heve any LR or even standard attys lying around so all these attys were brand new from the reosmods website. i noticed the last 4 unused attys (same: 1.5 Ohm generic were soaked with primer fluid in the baggie); the ones i tried were dry as a bone out of the baggie. sure enough i tested the 'wet-ones' on my LT with a voltage indicator after de-priming and i there was the familiar 'atty-hiss' that i have come to know. what i think happened was i just got 4 DOA attys. i typically try to do my research but for 3 dollars a pop i thought they would tide me over until i could get my hands on some cisco ones. you get what you pay for, i suppose...

patch

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2012
nyc
oh yeahhh, but the good news is i added put the working atty on my reo and it vapes like a dream--not exactly the plumes of vapor that i am use to while vaping on 5V on other PVs, but the taste is absolutely fabulous! it's a real clean flavor and my tobacco flavors have never tasted sweeter!

i took some advice that i was reading on the forum about the dry pull after squonking and it works like a charm.

the funny thing, still, though, is that each time i've squonked since getting the reo functional i've pressed very tentatively...not being able to see the amount of juice is a brainteaser, washvap! THANKS SO MUCH for the tips! i'm going to try to get my hands on some cisco attys. 1.8 Ohms will be best you think?

washvap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2011
wa
Sorry to hear about the 4 DOA's but, it's good to hear that your enjoying your REO now Patch! You always have the option to get some IFR 14250's for your mini. Although, they'll only be 200 mah. You'll be able to vape at 6V. Have to agree that the flavor in unparalleled w/ an atty.

No problem at all and glad that I could help out. It really is a brainteaser but, it'll get a whole lot easier as time goes by. Only suggested a 1.8ohm atty since the coil on those won't pop as easily. Although, they don't give as hot of a vape. So, if your a TH junky and can handle the 1.5ohm atties right now. Then don't hesitate to get some Cisco 1.5ohm LR 306's. They give a vape that is very similar to 5V vaping.

Oh yeah, you should contact Rob about those atties. He'll make it right.

patch

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2012
nyc
Sorry to hear about the 4 DOA's but, it's good to hear that your enjoying your REO now Patch! You always have the option to get some IFR 14250's for your mini. Although, they'll only be 200 mah. You'll be able to vape at 6V. Have to agree that the flavor in unparalleled w/ an atty.

No problem at all and glad that I could help out. It really is a brainteaser but, it'll get a whole lot easier as time goes by. Only suggested a 1.8ohm atty since the coil on those won't pop as easily. Although, they don't give as hot of a vape. So, if your a TH junky and can handle the 1.5ohm atties right now. Then don't hesitate to get some Cisco 1.5ohm LR 306's. They give a vape that is very similar to 5V vaping.

Oh yeah, you should contact Rob about those atties. He'll make it right.

thanks a lot for the great advice, washvap - i contacted rob and he sent a couple atomizers my way! i'm going to take your advice and try those cisco 1.5s! i've been eager to try the ciscos because i've read only good things about their quality--i've been sitting on it but i'll also pick up some cisco 3.0s as well! i love dripping and so far between cartomizers and tanks i cannot be swayed by this first love, hahha.

because bottom-feeding is essentially akin to dripping, i have been enjoying the flavor so much! i must confess though, squonking ain't easy--as i was poking around, i have been reading that two squeezes and a dry pull work wonders. perhaps it's my own brutish heavy hands but after two squeezes the attys on my reo tend to flood. not to the point of juice in the mouth but certainly so that i can hear the juice being pulled up the atomizer, producing that uneasy flooded atty gurgling sound.

i really had no sense that there was such a learning curve with squonking--but i'm hard at work vaping away trying to get it right, haha. i thought it would be easy since dripping is all i've pretty much ever done, but in humility i think it might be a decent idea to get some cartos to experiment with my reo mini just til i get the hang of it. any advices for a brutish squonker?

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK
thanks a lot for the great advice, washvap - i contacted rob and he sent a couple atomizers my way! i'm going to take your advice and try those cisco 1.5s! i've been eager to try the ciscos because i've read only good things about their quality--i've been sitting on it but i'll also pick up some cisco 3.0s as well! i love dripping and so far between cartomizers and tanks i cannot be swayed by this first love, hahha.

because bottom-feeding is essentially akin to dripping, i have been enjoying the flavor so much! i must confess though, squonking ain't easy--as i was poking around, i have been reading that two squeezes and a dry pull work wonders. perhaps it's my own brutish heavy hands but after two squeezes the attys on my reo tend to flood. not to the point of juice in the mouth but certainly so that i can hear the juice being pulled up the atomizer, producing that uneasy flooded atty gurgling sound.

i really had no sense that there was such a learning curve with squonking--but i'm hard at work vaping away trying to get it right, haha. i thought it would be easy since dripping is all i've pretty much ever done, but in humility i think it might be a decent idea to get some cartos to experiment with my reo mini just til i get the hang of it. any advices for a brutish squonker?

I am a REOnaut as well and my advice is back off on the two squeezes. In this case, less really is more. We (REOnauts) do the "blind squonk" which (for me, anyway) is ONE squeeze WHILE I'm doing a dry hit. The minute you hear the slightest gurgle, or FEEL the pressure change, quit squeezing. The hit after that should be perfect. Also, before I ever squonk again....actually before every hit....I do a tiny little dry hit (not hitting the power) to suck the juice that might be sitting in the cup up onto the coil. I'm always amazed that when I think I should need to squonk, I don't always need to. If I hear a little sound of juice at all, I just hit it instead of squonking again. I guess what I'm saying/thinking is that you need to squonk (it seems to me, anyway) less than you'd think.

Good luck with the REO, and sorry about the bad batch of attys. Rob WILL make it right. And I'll say this: once you get this down, you will absolutely LOVE that little REO. In my case, they're (REOs) the neatest things that I've discovered in my almost two years of vaping.

I agree about getting the Cisco attys. Also....Vaporkings.com has bulk genuine Joye LR attys in a bulk pack at a bulk price that I've had GREAT luck with. They're 10 for $46.95 and I've been using them for a l-o-n-g time and have never had a DOA one yet. Might consider that.

Please join us at the reos mods thread....you can "talk REO" all day and night to a great bunch of people who all own REOs and who have a tip/solution for every single thing that you could possibly run across.

Jan

BGabe

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 14, 2011
Indiana
Quick question (if anyone sees this) I am experiencing the same issue on a new 1.8ohm Cisco. Most of the time I get a gurgle and when you fire and just listen, it takes a good second or 2 to hear anything. But it's not the familiar hiss.. It's a bubble and gurgle sound. If I take the atty off and blow it out, I get a good hit, but it's almost dry, so squonk, still dry, so squonk again, still a little dry, so squonk again, back at sqaure one. What is the "dry pull" that was referred to earlier?

patch

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2012
nyc
Quick question (if anyone sees this) I am experiencing the same issue on a new 1.8ohm Cisco. Most of the time I get a gurgle and when you fire and just listen, it takes a good second or 2 to hear anything. But it's not the familiar hiss.. It's a bubble and gurgle sound. If I take the atty off and blow it out, I get a good hit, but it's almost dry, so squonk, still dry, so squonk again, still a little dry, so squonk again, back at sqaure one. What is the "dry pull" that was referred to earlier?

the dry pull referred to is when you squonk first, then take a sharp and short drag without firing the Reo (to draw the juice into the atty). finally, take a vape and hopefully everything is worked out. i confess though, there is a learning curve to this and i have found it to be much easier when you add an unsealed 510-510 adaptor and drip shield. it catches the excess and for the most part keeps oversquonked attys from flooding. hope this helps!

nerak

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2011
Fairfield Township, OH, USA
www.facebook.com

We use what is called the "blind squonk". You draw without firing, give the bottle a slight push, listen for the gurgle and stop squonking! Draw lightly and fire. You do not have to push hard on a full bottle. Do not draw very hard.

Most hard draws will pull that juice up and away from the coil. You will get a dry hit. Slow and easy get that juice where it needs to be!

I usually draw without firing just for a second after blind squonking. Just to get that juice where it coats the coil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread