Not open for further replies.

nerak

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2011
Fairfield Township, OH, USA
www.facebook.com
The natural finish is sanded wood with tung oil applied. Poly coating seals the wood and gives a barrier against minor scratches.

The natural finish can be lightly sanded to remove minor scratches or dings. Then apply tung oil to seal.

Both finishes bring out the beauty of the wood yet have their own unique feel.

For routine care I would suggest that any spills be cleaned with a damp soft cloth as soon as possible.

Using wax will give some protection to either finish. I use Howard's SunShield with UV protection on all my wood REO's. It contains beeswax, carnauba wax, and orange oil. For a natural oil finish you could just use tung oil.

Some woods darken and lose color with age and exposure to UV light. Cocobolo and Purpleheart are two woods that will change. The UV protection in the SunShield will help maintain the natural beauty and depth of grain. The waxes polish and protect.

Last edited:

TROOPIN

Verified Member
Sep 24, 2013
Chicago,Il
so if I get a juice leak just wipe off with a damp cloth and I should be fine for the natural finish.. That's my biggest worry staining if juice leaks or spills, which has happened more than I care to admit with my metal 2.1. I don't always have a damp cloth to wipe with just a dry pants leg.. lol.. with the cocobolo how does the color I saw a light red and dark red I like the dark better, will the light one get darker without the uv protection?

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
I just purchased a Lace Wood 18490 with Natural Oil finish. After checking with Rob, I spread a thin coat of semi gloss Spar Urethane over the natural oil finish. Then, a day later, I gave it a very light sanding and applied Howards feed and wax just to give a little more shine. I have used urethane finishes on home projects for decades, so no big deal. But Rob is right, you can use poly, or spar, over natural oil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread