Polyfill and Used Cartomizers

Status
Not open for further replies.

sharkey

ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2009
New York City
So I just bought a bag of polyfill from madvapes for 99 cents. I have a bunch of old cartomizers that still heat up, but the polyfill is no longer good and either produces a nasty taste or is clogged.

So I'm going to try to remove the bad polyfill with some tweezers and replace it with new polyfill.

Has anyone ever tried this with cartomizers or atomizers?

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
I don't know of anyone being able to do this consistently. I found no YouTube videos on it, either. I have attempted this unsuccessfully, since it is VERY easy to pull the coil out and disconnect it. And it is very hard to get fluval back into the carto in a way that 1) allows good contact with the coil, and 2) does not promote leaking. It seems the only way to do this well is to cut the tube at the base and pull it off the coil and filler, carefully unravel the filler from the coil, replace it with fresh filler, and slide the tube back on...and then seal it somehow.

Cartomizers are meant to be disposable, and are priced that way. I do clean mine by boiling them in water for a while, then drying them. This brings them back to fairly close to new in most cases. Unfortunately the classic old-style cartomizer, which is still one of my favorite vapes, never evolved to a more replaceable technology. Now many people who want something perpetually renewable go for bottom coil tank cartomizers, like the Protank or Evod. One can pretty easily recoil these indefinitely, and they do not use filler, just a very short wick that is also replaceable. And one can buy fully assembled coil heads for less than a cartomizer.

You might take this question to the Cartomizer subforum. They may have more tricks to do this.

Cartomizer Issues

Good luck!

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
It's not a good idea, IMO. I have taken apart many cartomizers and I can tell you that it's very difficult to remove old polyfill without damaging the heating coil--let alone inserting new polyfill. Besides, cartomizers are disposable. They were not designed to be rebuilt. The coils deteriorate, so do the wicks.

In my experience, a good cartomizer can only vaporize 6-10 ml of eliquid, more if it's used in a tank. After that, the quality of the vape goes south no matter what you do.

tmcase

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
I'd like to add that there is more to the inside of a carto than just polyfill. There is also a sleeve and a diaper. Once the sleeve and diaper get burnt the carto is bad even if the polyfill hasn't burned yet. So to rebuild a carto you would have to replace the sleeve, diaper and polyfill and that is way too much trouble IMO.

steved5600

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2012
Dallas, Texas
I've dissected a few of them trying to figure out a way. Just not worth the effort. Better to get either a rebuildable or repairable. At your level of expertise I'm sure you could to the RBA/RDA thing. If your a carto fan I'd go Dripper. Several good ones out there. The Trident, IGO- L and W. I have all of these and they are very good. There are others like the IGO-S and F that rate well. If you like tanks there are the Protank types that I really like and the VIVI types which are pretty good. I prefer bottom feed myself. If you want to go real advanced the Ithaca types like the Fogger II and Terminator. Very nice. I know folks with them and I see a Fogger II or Terminator in my future. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread