Positive and Negative Posts??

Status
Not open for further replies.

southee

Jul 21, 2014
Salt Lake
Kind of a dumb question.... Just started Saturday getting into the rebuild-able atomizers and mech mods. Went into my local vape shop and chatted with them for awhile. Got set up with everything to build and built my first coil that day. It turned out okay, higher ohm than I wanted, which brings me to my actual question. Which friggin' post is positive and negative? With basic knowledge of electronics, the outer two posts would be positive, while the middle would be negative. But on videos I have watched, it is the other way around. If anyone could enlighten me that would be fantastic.

Using a smok Caterpillar rda/rba and a KTS+ mech mod with a 18650 1600mah 10amp battery

atroph

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2014
Chesapeake, VA
The center pin is positive and the outer posts are negative. Honestly it doesn't really matter unless you are going for some fancy builds. As long as a coil is hooked up to positive and negative you should be fine. Parallel coils are a little bit trickier as you want to build them at twice the ohm value as your target (for dual coils). You should be fine using a mech for a dual coil build at lower ohms. If you are using a regulated device it may not supply enough power to heat both coils sufficiently as each coil gets one half the power you are outputting.

SleeZy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2014
Sweden
Kind of a dumb question.... Just started Saturday getting into the rebuild-able atomizers and mech mods. Went into my local vape shop and chatted with them for awhile. Got set up with everything to build and built my first coil that day. It turned out okay, higher ohm than I wanted, which brings me to my actual question. Which friggin' post is positive and negative? With basic knowledge of electronics, the outer two posts would be positive, while the middle would be negative. But on videos I have watched, it is the other way around. If anyone could enlighten me that would be fantastic.

Using a Smok Caterpillar RDA/RBA and a KTS+ mech mod with a 18650 1600mah 10amp battery

Only thing i'd like to add (since atroph answered your question) is to read up on battery safety and ohms law. Don't go to low ohm on a 10A battery. (sub ohm territory)
The user Baditude got great blogs about all this to read. :)
Always test your builds on a ohm meter before you fire your coil on the mech.

Welcome to the forums! :)

If making dual coils, test each one separately to make sure the have the same resistance (at 2x your target value, as noted above). Don't go by "final", parallel, reading of both.

I'm not sure why you care which post is which (apart from general knowledge) it makes no difference to anything you can do.

IMO, dual coils are aren't much use unless you're cloudmaking (or buying into marketing) with low ohms and big IMR batteries.

edit: said series instead of parallel

Last edited:

atroph

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2014
Chesapeake, VA
Oh and since you are using a mech if you put the battery in upside down the outer posts will be positive and the center will be negative. nyuk nyuk nyuk.

Anyways on to the sleeper/macro/nano/dragon/femto/diamond/etc. Those are pretty, but when it is time to recoil it can be a pita unless you really like to tinker. I am a KISS person and don't buy in to the publicity of the cloudchasers. It is cool to watch, but I want a simple setup that I can do in 5 minutes (or less) flat and get to vapin'. A majority of the coils I see in RDAs and pretty much anything else that is vaped on a consistant basis is a simple coil tightly wound around a mandrel of a certain size and the coils are touching each other to eliminate "hot spots". Write down your coil recipes so that you can do them at anytime. Once you do it for a little while you will find what works for you and that is the most important. Not bashing the cloudchasers and exotic builders, but I don't want you to get discouraged because your build didn't turn out right. It will take a little practice and then you'll be a coil wrappin' fool in no time!

Then it is time to wick the sucker. The current de-facto standard for most is organic cotton. The new fad is rayon and IMO it is super fantastic! Silica is fine if you want to avoid burning the wicking material, but if your build is in check you should be fine with cotton or rayon.

Best of luck and happy trails in vapeland!

edit: if you want to make coil wrapping super simple check out Susan~S's signature line. There is a link to the steam engine that will give you a real damn close idea as to what your coil resistance will be before you even whip out the kanthal. It had my favorite build spot on.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread