Status
Not open for further replies.

Uncletattoowhat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 21, 2014
Poquoson, VA
Looking to see who out there has one of these, and how they like it? I found this clone and made the purchase to see if it would suit my needs. If it does, I'll likely try to find an authentic when my budget is right.

https://www.bestpriceecig.com/rebuildable-atomizer/176-derringer-rda-clone-by-captain-ape.html

Just wondering what the pros/cons everyone has on them, successful builds, do's/dont's, etc. I know there are a few videos on youtube, I've watched them all. I always get better information on here than on youtube videos (I'm a firm believer in performance over hype). I've bought hype too many times and regretted it.

Thanks in advance!

snow blind

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2012
PA
fasttech has 3 different clones and i ordered two of them... the copper post 1:1 clone and the all stainless "not 1:1" clone. I'll try to remember to post back when they come in. In transit now... should be here in 5 days or so.

The authentic is absolutely great! It's pretty much a shrunken Tobh... hits like it too if you could imagine what that would be like. Warmer... more airflow though... but that nice Tobh dense vapor without it being too airy.

Uncletattoowhat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 21, 2014
Poquoson, VA
I decided not to do the fasttech route. The last few items that I bought locally (that I suspect were from there) or from there directly were really janky low quality with poor machining and problems out of the box. Not to say that the one I ordered from the link i provided will be any better, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it is; that and it's a US based site so shipping wouldn't take "as long" as FT does.

Either way, I will be reviewing mine and posting pictures once it comes and I start building on it. I wish I could justify the budget for an authentic, but I like to start small to see if its a concept I would enjoy. I know I've enjoyed my small "flavor" attys that I own (hobo v2 and vertex v2 clones), so I'm hoping its along those same lines. I like a more restricted airflow nowadays, I feel it creates a warmer more flavorful vape.

It's amazing because just a few months ago I remember taking my tobh to a local shop to have them drill out more airholes because my builds were too hot, then buying my first Mutation X and Cigreen X eventually. My Cigreen X has been sitting on the shelf for what seems like forever. Flavor > clouds.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Looking to see who out there has one of these, and how they like it? I found this clone and made the purchase to see if it would suit my needs. If it does, I'll likely try to find an authentic when my budget is right.

https://www.bestpriceecig.com/rebuildable-atomizer/176-derringer-rda-clone-by-captain-ape.html

Just wondering what the pros/cons everyone has on them, successful builds, do's/dont's, etc. I know there are a few videos on youtube, I've watched them all. I always get better information on here than on youtube videos (I'm a firm believer in performance over hype). I've bought hype too many times and regretted it.

Thanks in advance!

The posts are not very accessible.
That's a thumbs down for me; actually a hands down - both - and both feet too!

finagle69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2013
Sacramento, CA
The posts are not very accessible.
That's a thumbs down for me; actually a hands down - both - and both feet too!

?? The posts are incredibly accessible. The Derringer is an extremely easy atty to build on, and lends itself very well to a center post build. It holds a good amount of juice as well, for being such a compact piece. You are aware that the inner ring comes off right?

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
?? The posts are incredibly accessible. The Derringer is an extremely easy atty to build on, and lends itself very well to a center post build. It holds a good amount of juice as well, for being such a compact piece. You are aware that the inner ring comes off right?

Oh! I see now, the pic that you linked to shows it with the airflow ring on it, so it looks like the posts are low down inside a well.

derringer-rda-clone-by-captain-ape.jpg

here's a pic with the ring off
2101100-1.jpg

Uncletattoowhat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 21, 2014
Poquoson, VA

Condensed chamber, deep juice well, easy to build on. Those are the reasons I'm happy I ordered one. USPS ECD: Monday.

inswva

Do you even squonk, bro?
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2014
I'll be rocking my Catfish'd Derringer for the first time this evening. The remaining parts to build my Peko are sitting in my mailbox. Looking forward to getting my squonk on with the Derringer. I have three other BF attys but the Derringer is certainly going to get top billing. The Derringer is already built, just waiting for a mod to sit on.

finagle69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2013
Sacramento, CA
I'm on the list for his second run, can't wait :)

Same here! I'm in for a second one. :)

I'll be rocking my Catfish'd Derringer for the first time this evening. The remaining parts to build my Peko are sitting in my mailbox. Looking forward to getting my squonk on with the Derringer. I have three other BF attys but the Derringer is certainly going to get top billing. The Derringer is already built, just waiting for a mod to sit on.

How'd you build yours? I'm sitting with a dual 5/6 wrap of 27AWG for 0.4 ohms total. This is running on a reo right now. Waiting for my gdna and peko to arrive from the paint shop. :)

inswva

Do you even squonk, bro?
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2014
Same here! I'm in for a second one. :)

How'd you build yours? I'm sitting with a dual 5/6 wrap of 27AWG for 0.4 ohms total. This is running on a reo right now. Waiting for my gdna and peko to arrive from the paint shop. :)

5/6 wrap (I think) 26AWG duals, 2.5mm, clocking in at .34ohm.

B2L

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
Does anyone have the authentic in stock at all?

Also, does it by any chance come with a stainless steel center post instead of the gold plated copper post? I don't like anything other than stainless steel touching my juice...

I haven't looked for it in stock but my understanding is the authentic only comes with the gold plated posts. Chowderheads are authentic but he has modified SS pins to replace the stock ones.

Uncletattoowhat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 21, 2014
Poquoson, VA
Updating for my review. My Derringer came in the mail Saturday to a friend's house (easier to tell my wife I "traded for it at work" lol).

I got it today at work and threw a quick 24ga SS316L 3.0mm dia 8 wrap dual coil coming in at 0.2ohm (my go to build), wicked it with cellucotton and threw it on my DIY 100w TDK Lambda box at 4.3v with about 1 1/2 airflow holes open. Dripping some Dr. Crimmy's V-Liquid Crimm Brulee.

The flavor off this thing is to die for. I was worried about juice spit because of how low the cap is to the coils, but I haven't gotten any yet. My previous "small chamber" atty experiences so far are the Hobo v2 and Vertex v2. This blows both of them out of the water. Its the perfect combination (FOR ME) in airflow, warmth, density of vapor, and flavor. It's literally everything I've been looking for in an RDA. Dripping on it is also 10x easier than other atties I've used because I have a tendency to over-drip and spill everywhere. The ring around the outside is great for making sure no extra gets out, and the juice well sucks it all right up.

The machining on this device is also very nice. It's actually one of the best quality clones I've ever received. I have never gotten a clone that didn't require some sort of tweaking or tightening to get it to work correctly. There was a little machine oil that I washed off pretty quickly with some hot water and dish soap and has left no remnants in the flavor.

The allen set screws in the posts are butter smooth, and didn't require nearly as much force as other atties I have with Philips heads. The center post holes are somewhat small, but i had no issues getting (2) 24ga wires through it. Might be a little tougher with larger wires. The negative posts have little slots rather than holes, which makes center builds MUCH easier without bending and warping the coil and causing hotspots.

THE ONLY thing I may do to change my vape experience on this device is get a slightly longer delrin drip tip. I'm loving its compact size, but i don't like putting my mouth that close to the cap lol.

My overall rating, on this particular clone from the website I listed in my first post, is 4.5 stars (only because I'm assuming the authentic is made by the hand of God himself and has to be a 5.0).

snow blind

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2012
PA
Updating for my review. My Derringer came in the mail Saturday to a friend's house (easier to tell my wife I "traded for it at work" lol).

I got it today at work and threw a quick 24ga SS316L 3.0mm dia 8 wrap dual coil coming in at 0.2ohm (my go to build), wicked it with cellucotton and threw it on my DIY 100w TDK Lambda box at 4.3v with about 1 1/2 airflow holes open. Dripping some Dr. Crimmy's V-Liquid Crimm Brulee.

The flavor off this thing is to die for. I was worried about juice spit because of how low the cap is to the coils, but I haven't gotten any yet. My previous "small chamber" atty experiences so far are the Hobo v2 and Vertex v2. This blows both of them out of the water. Its the perfect combination (FOR ME) in airflow, warmth, density of vapor, and flavor. It's literally everything I've been looking for in an RDA. Dripping on it is also 10x easier than other atties I've used because I have a tendency to over-drip and spill everywhere. The ring around the outside is great for making sure no extra gets out, and the juice well sucks it all right up.

The machining on this device is also very nice. It's actually one of the best quality clones I've ever received. I have never gotten a clone that didn't require some sort of tweaking or tightening to get it to work correctly. There was a little machine oil that I washed off pretty quickly with some hot water and dish soap and has left no remnants in the flavor.

The allen set screws in the posts are butter smooth, and didn't require nearly as much force as other atties I have with Philips heads. The center post holes are somewhat small, but i had no issues getting (2) 24ga wires through it. Might be a little tougher with larger wires. The negative posts have little slots rather than holes, which makes center builds MUCH easier without bending and warping the coil and causing hotspots.

THE ONLY thing I may do to change my vape experience on this device is get a slightly longer delrin drip tip. I'm loving its compact size, but i don't like putting my mouth that close to the cap lol.

My overall rating, on this particular clone from the website I listed in my first post, is 4.5 stars (only because I'm assuming the authentic is made by the hand of God himself and has to be a 5.0).

Nice... good to hear! My two clones are set to be delivered any day now and that's encouraging. It really is rare to find a poor quality clone nowadays. The Chinese shops have really dialed it in... some of these most recent clones are nicer than the authentic pieces!

Uncletattoowhat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 21, 2014
Poquoson, VA
Nice... good to hear! My two clones are set to be delivered any day now and that's encouraging. It really is rare to find a poor quality clone nowadays. The Chinese shops have really dialed it in... some of these most recent clones are nicer than the authentic pieces!

I haven't had such good luck with some of the clones I've gotten recently. The hobo I got from a local B&M and the quality was piss poor on it, but the functionality of it once finally setup was worth it. The post threads stripped on the first build and the allen set screws somehow also stripped. using a modified torx screwdriver i had lying around was the only way to build on it. The Vertex I got from angelcigs and out of the box the center post spun like it was a top. After a few good tightenings, it no longer moves, but the quality isn't that great. This one blows them both out of the water. The manufacturer of this one is actually labeled which i don't see with other clones, and they are located out of She

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread