Status
Not open for further replies.

dcfluegel

Shenaniganator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2015
Cleveland TN
i tend to run between a .2 and .5 ohm build on my rda's... and i generally wick them with cotton bacon, though I am going to give rayon a shot, as i have been reading a lot of positive reviews about it (though i tend to use the japanese cotton in my tank rda builds)... from what i understand with rayon, make sure your hands are clean before handling it, and you generally want to wick it tighter (more rayon) than you would with cotton, as it will contract some... there are some good threads on rayon use - will see if i can track down some links

Wolfenstark

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2014
Perth , Australia
Most the time its dual 26g 2.5mm 5-6 wraps kanthal and nichrome80.
Or three strands of 30g twisted.
Use koh gen doh seems nice enough and the pads are easy to cut into strips to use.

ATM I'm using a mech Reo so I'm I'm doing 0.26 - 0.4Ω.

Ive used the rayon and its fine , can for me be a bit finicky getting the right amount to wick with. Mine came in like a half inch thick strand.

Mine will be 26g kanthal 3mm inner diameter with 7 to 8 wraps. Fall between 1.10 ohms to 1.3 ohms. Wick choice has always been muji. It's an easy source for me than any other wicks. So, yeah Eric with it and gas yet to give me a dry hit for quite awhile.

Leg length has always been 2 to 3mm on my Sub tank mini, silverplay and up to 4'll on my rdas(mutations, plumes etc)

Am venturing into twisted 26g as I type this post. ^^,

dbrandt01

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2014
Alabama
-Single Coil or Dual coil? Depends what I'm building on. Usually dual coil, unless it's a single coil tank.
-Ohm? 0.7 ohms in the Subtank mini (about 7 or 8 wraps). 0.4 ohms on RDAs. 9 wraps per coil. (dual coil)
-Wire gauge? (Preferably wanting to know 28g builds). Twisted 28g, it easy to do and a drill isn't needed.
-Anyone do sleeper micro coils? Nope, I don't have the patience to do so.
-Coil diameter? 2.5mm
-Leg length? I don't pay attention to this part.
-What wattage? Subtank mini 27 watts, RDA 50+ depending on what I'm looking for in the vape experience from it.
-What RDA/Mods? Subtank mini, Twisted Messes RDA, Tugboat v2, Odin. Mods, Sigelei 75w, iStick 50w, Reo Grand, Hexohm v2.1

Monotremata

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Fontana, CA
monotremata.bandcamp.com
26G, 2.5mm. .8-.9 ohms nowadays. That way I can hit around 20w on my new mech with a fresh battery. On my Sigelei it doesnt really matter since I can hit whatever wattage I want, but I used to keep those at 1 ohm. For wicking, I bought a thing of white cotton yarn at Joanns Fabrics for $2. Fits perfectly into a 2.5mm coil, and will probably last longer than I will. RDAs are my Samurai Bonsai and Derringer clones. Ive never really paid attention to the leg length. When I use Steam-Engine to figure out a coil, I just leave it at the default 5mm, and always come out with what the calculator says.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
-Single Coil or Dual coil? Single coil in my Kayfun Lite Plus RTA. Dual coil in my Patriot RDA.

-Ohm? 1.5 ohm in the KFL+. 0.6 ohm in the Patriot.

-Wire gauge? (Preferably wanting to know 28g builds) I use 28 gauge exclusively.

-Anyone do sleeper micro coils? I make both simple open and micro coils, no sleepers. I've found that its better to keep things simple.

-Coil diameter? 3.0 mm simply because it's easier to install the wick.

-Leg length? Never measured them. My inseam measurements are 30 inches, though. ;)

-What wattage? I rarely go above 10 watts on my regulated mod.

-What RDA/Mods? Patriot RDA on a Silver Bullet mechanical. KFL+ on a Provari.

-Also what kind of cotton!? And what is your experience with Rayon vs Japanese cotton. I've used organic cotton, KoGenDo, Bacon Cotton, and Rayon. I like KoGenDo and Bacon Cotton for flavor, but they are more expensive and don't last as long as Rayon does. I like regular organic cotton the least.

SpaceApe

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
My personal preferences are.... (on avg 3-5mm leg length on all builds)
NON-TC regulated devices - 50-100W dual coils, twisted 26ga Kanthal A1 (2 strands) 3mm ID, 6/7 wraps, organic Japanese cotton, =/- .4Ω
Mechanical devices - dual coils 22ga Kanthal A1 3mm ID, 6/7 wraps, organic Japanese cotton, +/- .2Ω
TC Regulated Devices - 410°F 60W Single Coil twisted 32ga Ni-200 (2 strands) 2.5mm ID, 6/7 Wraps (evenly spaced), organic Japanese cotton +/- .15Ω

VHRB2014

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 16, 2014
Nic`d Up in Oklahoma!
Depending on what atty its going into, and what kind of room I have to work with.

Most often its 26g, round a 2.7-3mm bit, 6-7 wraps. I do do some 24 with the same diameter and wraps if the atty has more real estate or top cap height, and I just did a 4mm spaced 7 wrap with 24 that is just stunning in a Mutation X v2 (that set up goes through juice like a top fuel drag goes through alcohol). Atty room really is the determining factor, then its about keeping it just cool enough I can chain vape for 15 mins. Iv used my 22g once, LOL. Ohh, I`m pretty hooked on Muji cotton, love the stuff. I can use more of it then any other cotton and it wicks good enough to watch it dry out from bottom to coil.

I have a single coil right now in a Dark Horse RDA. 28g kanthal, 2mm diameter, it's like 1.1ohm. I used rayon, but had some serious trouble trying to get it through the coil. I did the best that I could, and my hits seem dry, and I frequently am putting more juice on, probably more than I should be. Only can really taste it well with the first 2 hits. Using 12 watts on an MVP 20w. I don't know if I should just build another coil with 28g, into 3mm, considering I can't go below sub ohm, so It would have to be wrapped like 4 times, which I don't even know if people do that lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread