EU Preparing for the worst...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrJim

Mar 19, 2015
Wight
I have started stocking up now as I am expecting us all to be branded criminals by this time next year due to the EU regulation of our hobby.

I've bought a few devices this year. I'm trying to steer clear of devices with in built batteries as they surely are'nt going to outlaw VTC4's. Got a couple of Mech mods (smok Magneto 111 and Panzer). 2 VaporFlask clones a smok Xpro M65 and M80plus and a HanaModz 30 watt clone. Stocked up on sturdy rebuildable tanks and kanthal. I'm completing my survival kit now by buying Nic base at 72mg in ridiculous quantities. I'm thinking we'll still be able to buy PG/VG and Japanese cotton but, hell, I'm stocking up on that too.

Just wondering how you guys are preparing here in the UK in case the worst happens and how long you think we've got until the inevitable cash grab by vendors comes and prices go through the roof?

Moderators - My apologies if this is posted in the wrong forum. Please re-locate it if it needs to be.

Last edited:

DampMop

ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2015
Bedford, England
Nice haul. I'm a bit behind, but I'm starting to stock up slowly.

I'm mixing nic base with new gear orders each month, but I haven't tried rebuilding yet. I'll give that a go in my mid-April purchase after I'm done reading and buying the testing equipment needed so I don't explode myself.

I think we have some time yet. No one has really said much about it in the UK, at least nowhere near the USA. Given that TotallyWicked were allowed to present their legal challenge to Europe's TPD, I suspect politicians already have enough on their plate when it comes to the general election - they probably don't want another problem to deal with.

Now after the general election is another matter. That's always a dangerous time when the newly elected government makes changes it hopes will be long forgotten come next election. I suspect we'll be safe until June - November, when the debate and 'won't someone think of the children' scaremongering will begin.

Who knows, maybe we'll get a government that puts public health over money. I think it's sensible not to take that gamble though, I don't like the odds.

Reactions: cckayne

Papillon61

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 22, 2015
Sunshine Isle
I am in Malta not the UK but I am stocking up too. I'm already having to get my nicbase from Poland because UK sites are already not selling nicotine cross border -- only to UK customers. I think I have enough nic for the next 4 or 5 years but the panic is always making think of getting more every time I place an order for flavours. I'm stocked up on a number of batteries, RTAs and now even RDAs although I have no experience with them but they seem to be cheap and cheerful and nothing much could go wrong with them. In the past couple of months I've spent more, much much more, than I ever did on any hobby but I just can't picture myself going back to smoking. After 45 years of pretty heavy smoking guess were I would fall again if I can't vape.

C0NPAQ

Jun 5, 2015
Could you please post relevant links how the EU is currently developing legislation such that it would warrant stockpiling now?

From all around the world, what you hear is that sales of devices should be restricted to 18+ and that they will ban fun flavors etc. Minor aspects.

In my country, there already have been cases about pharmaceutical vs. non-pharmaceutical usage and tobacco vs. non-tobacco product for vendors. This all has been pretty much settled from the beginning. What would change the game now?

This is the only thing I could find at all that indicates any danger:

taking into account nicotine's classification as a toxic substance, there will be a maximum nicotine concentration level for e-cigarettes and maximum volumes for cartridges, tanks and containers of nicotine liquids.
European Commission - PRESS RELEASES - Press release - Questions & Answers: New rules for tobacco products

As phrased, this restriction would ban selling bulk quantities thus ramp up prices enormously in favor of vendors. Though, taking other food and consumer substances as an example, this restriction should be easily bypassed by not selling the liquid for consumption but as a raw substance. There are restrictions on how much sulfuric acid is permitted in drain cleaner, how much additives in food, etc. But you can always buy those substances pure as they are. I would be surprised if nicotine will be the exception.

Edit: Dug a bit deeper ... apparently it is true, or is it?

Nicotine-containing liquid should only be allowed to be placed on the market under this Directive, where the nicotine concentration does not exceed 20 mg/ml. This concentration allows for a delivery of nicotine that is comparable to the permitted dose of nicotine derived from a standard cigarette during the time needed to smoke such a cigarette. In order to limit the risks associated with nicotine, maximum sizes for refill containers, tanks and cartridges should be set.

http://ec.europa.eu/health/tobacco/docs/dir_201440_en.pdf

I am preparing to stockpile now.

Last edited:
Reactions: ckc
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread