Prepping an Atty?

Status
Not open for further replies.

starsong

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2011
SoCal
Hiya, I've searched this site for an answer and I'm sure it is buried somewhere, but I need help...
When I started vaping my first couple PVs were 2-piece styles, just attach the cartomizer and go on my merry way. But then I got curious about a Riva 901 and bought that, which is the 3-piece style. The instruction booklet is dismal. So now I come to you. Knowing nothing about the prep and use of an atomizer... it came in it's little packet and was a little wet, so I just wiped off the sides. Later I saw someone mention blowing out primer. Oh my... was I supposed to do something like that before using it the first time? Am I going to die now cuz I used it with primer in it? (just kidding but was that a dumb thing to do?) I've seen people talk about the atty bridge, and now I see it, but don't know what that means to me. I'm just feeling super stupid about this and ready to chuck it and go back to cartos, but don't want to waste this money without giving it a shot. And I've watched a ton of videos and haven't found any that cover this. Thanks for any advise.

OgreLokon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 25, 2010
Scottsdale, AZ
Honestly nobody seems to know what the effects of inhaling the primer truly are, but we ALL agree it tastes like crap. Next time, get yourself a paper towel, and blow all that gunk out. If you want to be safe you can give it a good cleaning after (rubbing alcohol or PGA), let it dry and reprime with 6 or so drops of juice.

starsong

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2011
SoCal
Thanks Brian, any help is much appreciated. And thanks Ogre - I did try blowing it into a paper towel. Some came out, but not sure if that was enough. And just to show how dumb I am about all this, I'm not even sure which end to blow on! So I tried the less 'open' side. Gawd, I read what I write and think "you really should just stick to cartos" LOL.

Brian J

Jan 17, 2011
Mishawaka, Indiana
Yeah. I never did find it....... after seeing it like 3-4 times yesterday. WoH basically summed it up. The video showed her blowing out the atty from both ends.... adding the cartridge and even adding a few drops to the atty itself.
She then took a few hits but didn't inhale on those first few...just to make sure there was no primer left.

Or maybe you should stick with cartos. :p

Bradder

Am I Chip or am I Dale?
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2011
North Carolina, USA
It takes a while to get used to the lingo, the parts, and the procedures. How many times did you light the wrong end of an analog? How about lay one down and forget about it? Break one? You will get it. Not sure which videos you watched on YouTube, but at the top of this forum are a set of 6 topic specific videos by MistressNomad. I think they are great for people to watch a couple of times. Welcome and hang in there. This is a great, non-judgmental place to be to ask questions and find answers.

Phreaker

ECF Veteran
Dec 14, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Starsong, I too vaped the primer fluid my first time and wondered how anyone could use "these things" because it tasted so bad. The manual didn't say anything about cleaning the primer fluid out of the atomizer. Now when I get them I blow them out and take several draws with fluid before I inhale. HzG8rGrl's video might be the video mentioned. Here she is: YouTube - 510 Beginners Tutorial

Rosco

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 23, 2010
KCMO:>)
Thanks all for your help everyone. Got them both sufficiently blown out, assembled, filled, and am happily vapping away.

P.S. Yesterday was my first totally analog-free day!! Really helps to have enough equipment and juice.

Congratulations. Like mentioned, the days will pass and you might be surprised how easy it is to stay off the cigs. After 40 years of smoking, I could not believe how "painless" it was. If and when I get that urge to light up, I just vape for awhile and the urge goes away. Easy.
Best of luck on moving ahead as an "Ex-Smoker". Your family and friends will thank you, and your body will thank you FOREVER. :vapor:

lookin2quit

ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2009
La Mesa, California, United States
I just got a Riva 901 myself, since I was looking for better battery life. Since you mentioned you had used 2-piece styles, if they were 808 you can also use cartomizers on the Riva you got. Depending on the cartomizer you may need an adapter, though. Liberty-flights sells a 901-808 adapter. I have found that some of my V4L cartos work without the adapter, though. If you have some cartomizers around give it a shot. Then, even if you decide you like the cart+atty approach you won't have to waste the cartomizers you have left.

starsong

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2011
SoCal
I just got a Riva 901 myself, since I was looking for better battery life. Since you mentioned you had used 2-piece styles, if they were 808 you can also use cartomizers on the Riva you got. Depending on the cartomizer you may need an adapter, though. Liberty-flights sells a 901-808 adapter. I have found that some of my V4L cartos work without the adapter, though. If you have some cartomizers around give it a shot. Then, even if you decide you like the cart+atty approach you won't have to waste the cartomizers you have left.
That's exactly what I bought, the Riva 901 from Liberty-Flights. Tried it as the 3-parter using my own juice, and have used it with the adapter they tossed in so the V4L 808 cartos work on it too. Best of both worlds :) And thanks all for the encouragement -- I am so jazzed :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread