Printed DNA30 Bottom Feeder

Status
Not open for further replies.

gdeal

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2012
( -_-) Ω~
The mod looks great! How hard was the 510 connection to do?

The 510 connection was fairly easy. If you are talking about the connections at the 510 itself, its just a Fattydaddy 510 with a drill out Stainless 6/32 Pan head (with the head sanded down to 5.5 mm dia), a brass washer and SS nut. Soldered the positive to the brass washer and the negative to the brass nut on the Fatdaddy and assembled. The top cap had matched holes and depths designed in for fitting the 510.

If you are talking about the connections from 510 leads in the top cap to the base. That was simple. just soldered the spring pins and a slightly shortened terminal turrets to their wires and inserted into their holes. The holes were spec'd out as well so they push right in. The spring pin holes in the body have a tiny lip inside a few mm lower down, so they stay at a precise height.

Cool_Breeze

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2011
Kentucky
I dont have a scale to weigh it, but the atomizer is heavier than the whole unit (without the batt). Seems about 3X lighter than my Reo. ???
A few years ago, I made an impulse buy at Harbor Freight...a small, electronic scale for $9.99. I now find good use for it in mailing small ecig items, juice, etc. I compare my various mods, batteries and such with it. Yes...many atomizers outweigh the mods and batteries!

turbocad6

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2011
brooklyn ny
I love your spring ball contacts, what are they? how are they at handling 10 amps+? I've been using these for quick release caps on a few mods

T-Plug-0_zps4e40ab7a.jpg

they work great and retain the caps well enough that you don't need magnets, there more secure than magnets and they handle over 30 amps with very little resistance. add 1 or 2 thin locating pins to the cap and it's really solid.

I like your spring ball contacts for firing switch and low current stuff, would like to know more about it :) I've seen contacts like this but from suppliers that want to sell you like 10,000 pieces as a starting order :)

gdeal

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2012
( -_-) Ω~
A few years ago, I made an impulse buy at Harbor Freight...a small, electronic scale for $9.99. I now find good use for it in mailing small ecig items, juice, etc. I compare my various mods, batteries and such with it. Yes...many atomizers outweigh the mods and batteries!

Just ordered up: Amazon.com: American Weigh Scales AWS-1KG-BLK Signature Series Black Digital Pocket Scale, 1000 by 0.1 G: Kitchen & Dining

Only ~$9 .---cheaper than 500g calibration weight... thanks Cool!

turbocad6

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2011
brooklyn ny
hey man, I don't have exact dimensions of these connectors off hand but I'll try to measure them for you. here is a few pics of them in a mod for size reference. yeah they are a little big but there also all you need for the whole cap retention so you don't need space for any other locating pins or magnets really. also you can cut the connector in half and use them as a single, or of course use one and a half for 3 high load connectors... you could then use the smallest pin you can find as a contact for just the switch, even a tiny spring wire and a tiny contact pad. you could also reduce the size of these housings slightly by thinning the plastic part

20140511_024318_zpsed044a9a.jpg

here is one with a single and a double in use, both of these are 26650 mods for size reference :)

20140420_133628_zpsa8c8fd19.jpg

there are also mini versions of these connectors in black available, there supposedly ~2/3 the size of these, I don't have any but plan on picking some up eventually... then there are also some pretty tiny bullet connectors too that are used for RC stuff, the benefit of these is a rock solid connection even if the cap moves a little and of course they also retain the cap while making the connection

Last edited:

turbocad6

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2011
brooklyn ny
also I notice you say you now need 5 connections but you really don't, you only need 3 high amp and one low amp connections... as far as high amp connections you should only need one main ground and one for the atty +, so only 2 high amp quick disconnects, then a third for the positive... the ground can then branch out in the cap and also feed one leg for the fire switch(the fire switch is really only 1 wire that gets connected to ground so you don't need 2 separate wires for the fire switch)

might be able to fit 1 and 1/2 of the smaller black ones and then just one spring contact for the fire switch? these are called deans connectors but I think the smaller ones are just called "T" connectors

gdeal

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2012
( -_-) Ω~
also I notice you say you now need 5 connections but you really don't, you only need 3 high amp and one low amp connections... as far as high amp connections you should only need one main ground and one for the atty +, so only 2 high amp quick disconnects, then a third for the positive... the ground can then branch out in the cap and also feed one leg for the fire switch(the fire switch is really only 1 wire that gets connected to ground so you don't need 2 separate wires for the fire switch)

might be able to fit 1 and 1/2 of the smaller black ones and then just one spring contact for the fire switch? these are called deans connectors but I think the smaller ones are just called "T" connectors

First off... very cool mod!

I need to look a bit closer at those mini deans connectors. A spec sheet with dimensions would be real helpful....I want the parts to be as plug-n-play as possible, so that means designing in the form factor of the connectors. Google here I come.... thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread