Probably a total noob question but here goes..

Status
Not open for further replies.

LikelySplash710

Sep 28, 2017
So these two builds totally different ohms and wire gauge the first 24ga the second 30ga both kanthal. But which is best? Are they just different?

Screenshot_20171027-003154.png
Screenshot_20171027-003133.png

Reactions: stols001

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
So as far as the the gauge goes the higher the number the more the resistance go up. Also the more wraps the resistance goes up. I'm wondering if 5 wraps 22ga kanthal at like .2-.25 or 20ga kanthal at .2-.25 is more effective.

Rule of thumb (same ID coil, of course). The thinner the wire, the higher the resistance of the coil (fewer wraps are needed)--less power is needed to heat the coil. If you use thicker (lower res.) wire, you'll need more power (watts) to heat the coil to desired temperature but you gain more surface area to vaporize your juice. Hence, thinner wires are used for lower wattage (MTL) vaping, thicker wire for high wattage, big clouds DH vaping. Heat flux is also important. Always refer to the steam engine calculator Tony linked for you.

LikelySplash710

Sep 28, 2017
Rule of thumb (same ID coil, of course). The thinner the wire, the higher the resistance of the coil (fewer wraps are needed)--less power is needed to heat the coil. If you use thicker (lower res.) wire, you'll need more power (watts) to heat the coil to desired temperature but you gain more surface area to vaporize your juice. Hence, thinner wires are used for lower wattage (MTL) vaping, thicker wire for high wattage, big clouds DH vaping. Heat flux is also important. Always refer to the steam engine calculator Tony linked for you.
That makes sense I just have to hear things really simple when I read I have trouble understanding. Most of the forums I end up reading start explaining then end with people arguing and I get confused..

Caterpiller

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 3, 2015
Malaysia
And a bigger I'D adds more resistance as well?

Resistance increases with wire length. As larger ID increases wire length (in terms of wraps), increased ID equals increased resistance.

A Mech build of 0.2 Ohms is pushing the edge of safety.

If you are new to Mech's I would suggest you don't build down below 0.4 Ohms to start off with.

LikelySplash710

Sep 28, 2017
So I've been rocking a .4 and it's tight. So here's my thing too even though I calculate ohms law I still am intimidated and even if my build works great I'm just so new to mech so I find myself constantly asking questions. So I have dual premade claptons I had around on my vgod rdta at .48 ohms pushing 12amps at 5.6v on my regulated mod. Is a single cell Sony vtc5 capable of handling that?

Reactions: stols001

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
Yep. Total noob question. But we like total noob questions!

It appears that what knocked you off is the fact that the exact same resistance can be obtained with a virtually unlimited combination of variable wire gauge and length.

A simple way of looking at it is shorter thicker wire yields less resistance. Longer thinner wire yields higher resistance.

As vapers, we're as interested in heat as we are resistance. A general rule there is that a physically larger coil mass will generate more heat and more electrical energy will be required. Thicker wire generally requires more space because coil diameter varies, too.

Steam engine is a cool resource not only for coil wrapping but for all things technical in vaping.

The even cooler thing is that you're asking those noob questions. We all did.

Even Michael Phelps started at the shallow end.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
and 4.2v fully charged right so it will be less than the 12 amps or the same from my regulated at 5.8?

A 0.4 ohm load at 4.2 V will draw at most 10A. Is that safe with a single 20A 18650 battery? Yes as it's within the CDR of your battery.

However, the "selection" of the load (as you build it) needs consideration beyond "6 wrap 2 mm ID" or "5 wrap 2.5 mm ID" or even gauge selection. A load of 0.4 ohm dual Clapton will provide you with a different vape experience than a 0.4 ohm dual simple coil build. More mass, more power to heat up. With a regulated mod, that's less important as all you have to do is turn the wattage up some. But on a mech mod, you can only control the build, not the power. So your coil selection and build are important to your vape experience beyond the "0.4 ohm 10A" draw you calculated. Yes, that does insure that you're safe and withing the capability of your hardware (battery) but not necessarily the quality of the vape. That requires a bit more playing around and also is dependent on what your particular vape experience preference is.

So again, safe, yes. "Best" vape for you, unknown without some preferences stated and a bit of experimentation by you to see what you like best.

LikelySplash710

Sep 28, 2017
Yep. Total noob question. But we like total noob questions!

It appears that what knocked you off is the fact that the exact same resistance can be obtained with a virtually unlimited combination of variable wire gauge and length.

A simple way of looking at it is shorter thicker wire yields less resistance. Longer thinner wire yields higher resistance.

As vapers, we're as interested in heat as we are resistance. A general rule there is that a physically larger coil mass will generate more heat and more electrical energy will be required. Thicker wire generally requires more space because coil diameter varies, too.

Steam engine is a cool resource not only for coil wrapping but for all things technical in vaping.

The even cooler thing is that you're asking those noob questions. We all did.

Even Michael Phelps started at the shallow end.

Correct once I realized the possibilities were pretty endless I had nooo clue were to start and its super had to pull viable info online so I come here and post my newbie questions haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread