Status
Not open for further replies.

KayP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 21, 2015
Gold Coast, QLD, AUS
Hi Everybody,

Firstly, allow me to quickly introduce myself again..
I am a new vaper, 3 weeks to the day, who invested into the Kanger Subox Mini Starter Kit. The juices of my choice were a variety of Phillip Rocke's and Gemini Vapors' juices in 12mg nicotine. It has also been 3 weeks, to the day, since my last cigarette.

Regretfully I am now experiencing some major problems with my set up, which is greatly annoying the heck out of me! I have been getting flavourless, and quite possibly dry, hits over the last few days. In addition the buzz I get is making me feel a little sick. I'll try to keep it short, but informative.

I have been rocking my Kanger device in RBA mode with a 0.5 Ohm coil (provided in my starter kit). I have already tried out and enjoyed several different juices. The previous juice I was vaping was Gemini's 100 Grand. Nice and tasty juice; however, a little heavy for me. As I neared the end of my 15ml bottle on Sunday, I began to notice a gradual loss of flavour. I presumed I may need to change the wick again, so I pushed through and finished off the juice.

Yesterday I cleaned out my tank and went about changing the wick. I chose to try out Phillip Rocke's Looper as my next juice. I have been getting nothing but dry and flavourless vapes since. In an attempt to solve the issue I have changed the wick 3 times, then changed the coil by popping in the spare 0.5 Ohm coil (provided in my starter kit) and fresh cotton again. I even cleaned out the tank again a few times. Still the same result! Now I am aware that the juices I have been using are High to Max VG and maybe my tank is struggling with the Looper juice in particular, so I will try out a different juice soon (one of which I used previously; therefore, I should know for certain the juice would work), but I feel like it will still not solve my problem...

I hope you guys will be able to help me out again. I am really trying to fix the issue; however, every time I fail I get a bad vape and buzz; therefore, I have been vaping less since yesterday and struggling with a sudden lack of nicotine. Now every time I fail makes me feel like giving up and buying a bloody pack of stinkies!! BUT, I WON'T!!

P.S. I have been closely following all the guidelines: Properly saturate the cotton with juice, allow the filled tank to rest for 10-15mins to allow more saturation of the cotton, even suck on the switched off mod to pull in more juice into the cotton and to the coil... so much work... repeatedly... over 2 days... Tonight I have to seriously express order in more coils and cottons; I should've done this last week!

Reactions: BrotherBob

Grimwald

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2012
Lawrence KS
Your kit came with 2 premade coils (probably .5 and 1.2 ohm). Have you tried those? Is your rda the v2 version with the holes in the side? What wattage are you using and how much airflow?

Dry hits are likely caused by wicking problems (too much, not enough, liquid too thick, blocking juice channels, etc.) or too high wattage. Of course you know this by the descriptions of what you have tried. Many of us have been frustrated in the beginning when trying to work thru such a problem.

Reactions: KayP

KayP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 21, 2015
Gold Coast, QLD, AUS
Hi Grimwald,

Your kit came with 2 premade coils (probably .5 and 1.2 ohm). Have you tried those?
Unfortunately I threw out the OCC coils which came with my kit. They were the first coils I tried on my first day and regretfully I instantly burnt the cotton in them (insufficient saturation and priming of the cotton). Instead I have been using the RBA deck over the last 3 weeks.

Is your rda the v2 version with the holes in the side? What wattage are you using and how much airflow?
I believe I have the latest V2 version. The tank has 2 air holes, 1 on each side. The RBA deck also has 2 holes for juice, 1 on each side. In addition, the RBA deck has 1 screw which holds the surrounding enclosure to the deck's base. I have been varying the wattage (between 16-30) and air flow settings; however, its not changing the flavour. Right now I have it on 16 watts with the air flow opened up half way.

Dry hits are likely caused by wicking problems (too much, not enough, liquid too thick, blocking juice channels, etc.) or too high wattage.
That is what I figured at first, hence why I changed the cotton 3 times before touching the coil. In one of my attempts I intentionally put in too little cotton and flooded the tank; however, after clearing flood the vape was still flavourless.

Update: Well I have moved onto a juice which I have tried before, Carnage. I vaped on this juice last week in this tank, so I know for sure it should work.
Same results guys: Flavourless and dry. :(

Reactions: susansu

KayP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 21, 2015
Gold Coast, QLD, AUS
Hi guys and thanks for trying.

The wicking method I have learnt and used is what PBsardo teaches in his video. Skip to 51:11.
I have also found several other Youtube reviewers using the same method. In addition, I have stumbled upon Rip Trippers' pancake method as well; however, I have not tried it out yet. It will be difficult as the juice does not flow in via channels towards the bottom, but through 2 holes to the sides of the RBA. If you are familiar with the method PBsardo teaches, you may suggest that the pancake method just may not solve my problem.

I'd love to take and send you a picture of my deck; however, in frustration I butchered it early this morning. It is back at home and in pieces. I have not had a vape today. In frustration I went off and bought a pack of cigarettes; however, thanks to my busy wok schedule, I've not had a chance to smoke. The pack is still sealed.

Once I get back home, I'll give my RBA a go again. Even though I cannot show you my actual deck (before I pulled it apart), I can say that it looked almost identical to what PBsardo shows in his video, except that I was using the 0.5 Ohm coil as supplied by Kanger in my kit.

susansu

Unresolved Status
Jan 12, 2016
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Unregistered Supplier

KayP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 21, 2015
Gold Coast, QLD, AUS
Thanks guys. I've ordered a new batch of organic cotton. Its summer right now where I live and it gets pretty hot in my house. I accidentally left the cotton out the other day and sunlight did get to it. I presume this is reason for my troubles. If you're interested, I'll give you guys an update when I get my new cotton.

Stupid me...

jjatl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2015
Georgia
Thanks guys. I've ordered a new batch of organic cotton. Its summer right now where I live and it gets pretty hot in my house. I accidentally left the cotton out the other day and sunlight did get to it. I presume this is reason for my troubles. If you're interested, I'll give you guys an update when I get my new cotton.

Stupid me...

Hopefully new cotton will fix it. Yes... Please keep us updated!

PilotNY

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 11, 2015
Lascassas, Tn
Welcome @KayP. I also started vaping with a Kanger Subox mini. Used the OCC coils for about 1 week and then to the RDA. I only have 1 small piece of advice. Make sure the the ends of the cotton you put against the sides of the chimney are fluffed out a bit. If the cotton is too thick on the outer edge, it may impede the flow of juice to the coils, hence dry hits and burnt cotton. Take your tweezers and fluff the cotton up a bit before you put the chimney back on with the 1 screw. Also I found that different flavors pop at different watt settings. So if you are not getting any flavor, try changing the watts.

Sorry, just noticed that I gave 2 pieces of advice. ;)
Good luck on your journey!

KayP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 21, 2015
Gold Coast, QLD, AUS
Welcome @KayP. I also started vaping with a Kanger Subox mini. Used the OCC coils for about 1 week and then to the RDA. I only have 1 small piece of advice. Make sure the the ends of the cotton you put against the sides of the chimney are fluffed out a bit. If the cotton is too thick on the outer edge, it may impede the flow of juice to the coils, hence dry hits and burnt cotton. Take your tweezers and fluff the cotton up a bit before you put the chimney back on with the 1 screw. Also I found that different flavors pop at different watt settings. So if you are not getting any flavor, try changing the watts.

Sorry, just noticed that I gave 2 pieces of advice. ;)
Good luck on your journey!
All good points. I have learnt a lot over the last 3 weeks through ECF and Youtube videos, and mostly through trial and error. I have made it a point to store all my vape gear, especially e-liquids, in a dark, cool and dry space; however, I did forget to put away my cotton wicks one day. I think the sunlight baked it :( Hold on, I just realised that is the same as burning it... literally.

The Kanger Subox Mini is still relatively a new product (maybe 6-7 months), are you a new vaper as well? :thumb: Are still rocking just the Kanger or have you collected more gadgets? I have already ordered for some new e-liquids and am now looking at new gadgets too :) For Mods I'm looking at the iStick 100W and Reuleaux RX200 and for RTA the Griffin and Aromamizer. It has only been a month since my introduction to the vaping scene and I'm already looking at new mods.. oh dear :drool:

PilotNY

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 11, 2015
Lascassas, Tn
The Kanger Subox Mini is still relatively a new product (maybe 6-7 months), are you a new vaper as well? :thumb:
I started vaping back in October of '15. 43 year veteran of smoking. Vaping helped me lay them down in 2 days!!!!! Yayyyy me!!! lol I sold my Kanger after 2 months to a friend who also started vaping and stopped dipping and smoking cigars Yayy Jeremy!!!!!

Are still rocking just the Kanger or have you collected more gadgets?
Collecting more gadgets is an understatement. LOL 2 - Sigelie 150 TC mods, around a dozen tanks, 3 drippers, 80 some flavors, vg, pg, and nic. Wife thinks I am crazy (what else is new)

For Mods I'm looking at the iStick 100W and Reuleaux RX200 and for RTA the Griffin and Aromamizer. It has only been a month since my introduction to the vaping scene and I'm already looking at new mods.. oh dear :drool:
Another victim falls prey to the dreaded disease called 'SHINYITUS'. (Pssssst I also have it and sitting right next to ya! LMAO)

KayP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 21, 2015
Gold Coast, QLD, AUS
I started vaping back in October of '15. 43 year veteran of smoking. Vaping helped me lay them down in 2 days!!!!! Yayyyy me!!! lol I sold my Kanger after 2 months to a friend who also started vaping and stopped dipping and smoking cigars Yayy Jeremy!!!!!
That's awesome. I started vaping 3 weeks ago and had no issues whatsoever stopping on the stinkies, even though I couldn't for 14 years! Vaping is so yummy!

Collecting more gadgets is an understatement. LOL 2 - Sigelie 150 TC mods, around a dozen tanks, 3 drippers, 80 some flavors, vg, pg, and nic. Wife thinks I am crazy (what else is new)
Wow, you have moved fast. Scary fast. But sounds cool nonetheless :) Check this out, I have one mod, one tank and.. 17 different flavours lol :lol:

I have seen some Youtube reviews of Sigelie 150 TC before and it seems to be a good sturdy mod. I'll go and watch them again. As for tanks, I'm trying to stick to this category for now. Which ones are your favourite?

Another victim falls prey to the dreaded disease called 'SHINYITUS'. (Pssssst I also have it and sitting right next to ya! LMAO)
I guess I do have it... I have bought more vape stuff and now I am almost broke!! :p

I received my new batch of e-liquids from the drip club yesterday (thats why I have 17 flavours now). In addition, I online ordered for the Griffin and Aromamizer RTAs, and RX200 and iStick 100 yesterday. I also ordered some rebuilding supplies such as wires, cotton, etc. I plan to comfortably progress slowly and hope that these gadgets will last me for sometime. I can't wait for my new shiny goodies. Ahhh mah precious!!

Lova

ECF Veteran
Nov 5, 2014
Finland
Oh this is my still my actual thread where I showed my distress.. :p

No update there yet, I hope to receive new cotton by Monday or Tuesday, then I'll chuck it into my Kanger to see if my issues are resolved. As I said, I think I baked my last supply by leaving it out in the sun.

Praise the sun!
Hey there, and welcome to ECF! About your issue, did you try shaking the bottles, as some of my homemade liquids tend to leave some of the flavorings on top of the VG/PG and shaking usually mixes them around quite well. Also, as far as cotton goes, if you have a pharmacy or something close by that sells medical grade cotton balls/organic cotton balls, those work perfectly as wick. If you have something like a "beauty store" and they stock koh gen do or shiseido pads, those are mostly what I use personally. Work perfectly and don't have that much of a cotton taste.

For the vapor to be "tasteless", it also could be vapers tongue. As a quick remedy, you could try smelling coffee grounds or drinking plenty of water (I personally drink somewhere in the close vicinity of 5-10 liters of water a day hahah!). Also, some cotton tend to have a "woolen sock" taste for the first tankful or so, so could be also that.

Hope you like it here over at ECF!

ps. Funny seeing vapers directly across the whole globe here! I live in Finland, where it's quite warm and cosy -20 degrees centigrade outside! I bet it's way better over there in Australia :D

KayP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 21, 2015
Gold Coast, QLD, AUS
Hey there, and welcome to ECF! About your issue, did you try shaking the bottles, as some of my homemade liquids tend to leave some of the flavorings on top of the VG/PG and shaking usually mixes them around quite well. Also, as far as cotton goes, if you have a pharmacy or something close by that sells medical grade cotton balls/organic cotton balls, those work perfectly as wick. If you have something like a "beauty store" and they stock koh gen do or shiseido pads, those are mostly what I use personally. Work perfectly and don't have that much of a cotton taste.
Hi and thanks for the welcome. Yes, I did get into the habit of the shaking the bottles. The local pharmacies, and most other stores, just stock the generic indian cotton, which says pretty much nothing apart from 100% cotton. I did not want to risk it, or learn about boiling and drying it either. I did consider about beauty stores, but presumed they would not be selling it.

For the vapor to be "tasteless", it also could be vapers tongue. As a quick remedy, you could try smelling coffee grounds or drinking plenty of water (I personally drink somewhere in the close vicinity of 5-10 liters of water a day hahah!). Also, some cotton tend to have a "woolen sock" taste for the first tankful or so, so could be also that.
Vapours tongue, I considered this as well. No changes thus far :( Me too, I have been drinking a lot of water, especially since I started to vape. I'll know for sure in a few days when I get my new cotton delivered. I'll just be getting small batches of Kendo and Koga cotton. A little later I will receive a big supply of Koh Gen Do as well. So much grief from a little mistake.

Hope you like it here over at ECF!

ps. Funny seeing vapers directly across the whole globe here! I live in Finland, where it's quite warm and cosy -20 degrees centigrade outside! I bet it's way better over there in Australia :D
Thanks, I have been somewhat of a regular since I joined and I like it here. We had a mild high of 26²¤¾ Celsius today. Later in the week it will return to the regular schedule of 30+²¤¾.

Reactions: Lova
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread