Problems With New Vape

Status
Not open for further replies.

S. M.

Sep 10, 2018
I recently purchased my first vape, decided to get a smok Stick Prince TFV12 Starter Kit. Everything came in the mail and I used everything just about fine until yesterday my coil starting burning up so I figured it was time to replace it. I bought T10 coils along with my purchase so I figured I would give those a try. I watched a few YouTube vids on how to install the new coil as I didn’t want to mess up my new vape. I got it all set up and thought it was fine. I took a first hit and didn’t get any flavor I was getting from my vape initially and I slowly noticed around my air flow was getting really hot after a few hits. I stopped using it and have tried to fix it by looking up fixes online to no lead on getting it fixed. I hope this is a simple problem I can fix. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Reactions: stols001

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
What wattage setting have you been using? How do you have your airflow adjusted?

Did you prime and "break in" your new coils properly?

This video below is for a different tank, but the priming and breaking in applications apply for any tank.

Your tank will get hot with high wattage settings or if you chain vape (normal).

Last edited:

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
There is no power adjustment on the Stick Prince. It is a single battery Stick or Pen mod that operates between 4.2 and 3.2 volts depending on battery level. I have no experience with the Stick Prince however in my opinion it is underpowered for the T10 coil – hence why it runs hot and lack of flavour. As @Letitia mentioned, probably best to use the higher resistance coils such as the X2 or Q4 which will not require as much power.
Also properly priming a coil is key

Does it mention anything in the manual on the recommended coils?

S. M.

Sep 10, 2018
The stock coil it comes pre built with is 0.17ohm V12 Prince-M4 Core. I was vaping perfectly fine with, it came with another one should I just use that one and assume the t10 was a wasted buy? But does the coils explain why around where my tank and air flow meet is really hot after a couple of hits? and baditude yes I did prime my coils but I still let it sit for about 20 minutes. I was thinking maybe I installed it wrong possibly but I watched how other people used this kit and did it just as they did. My main concern right now is how hot it gets so quick cause before it wouldn't start getting warm till I hit it a decent bit of times.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
It’s not always about the resistance of the coil. The T10 has 10 coils inside vs 4 coils in the Q4 or M4. So the T10 has more mass which requires more power to heat up to sufficient levels. Smok coils have a recommended range printed on the side of them so you can see the difference between the T10 vs M4 is quite significant. Try the other M4 coil and see how hot it gets. Prime the coil first!! ;)

S. M.

Sep 10, 2018
Yes I have it fully opened, just put in the m4 coil (made sure I primed it just right ;)) and seems to be working fine now. in fact better than before, guess I primed it better with more knowledge on it. Guess we can say the t10 coil was a wasted buy? This is my last coil so is there any other coils that could give me more flavor and better hits or should I stick with re ordering more stock coils it gives? btw thanks for all the help so far!

• Useful

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Smok has a V12 Prince Mesh coil that operates best between 60 and 70 watts. Also a X2 Clapton coil that works in the same range. I personally have no experience with either, and although subjective, many feel mesh coils are some of the best for flavour.

Can’t say if the T10 was a wasted buy. If you ever get another mod (cause ya just can’t stop at 1!!), that allows power adjustment above the T10 recommended wattage then you can use it.

• Agree
Reactions: Letitia

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Yes I have it fully opened, just put in the m4 coil (made sure I primed it just right ;)) and seems to be working fine now. in fact better than before, guess I primed it better with more knowledge on it. Guess we can say the t10 coil was a wasted buy? This is my last coil so is there any other coils that could give me more flavor and better hits or should I stick with re ordering more stock coils it gives? btw thanks for all the help so far!
Keep the coils. You will likely buy another better device down the road. Dual 18650 regulated is a good second mod. The tank and T10 coils will perform better on such a device than on the unadjustable stick.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
The Stick is a good starting device…a gateway or introduction into vaping. Was it a new user mistake to buy? I think the only person who can answer that is the one who bought it. My first kit was also inexpensive, small and limited. Didn’t want to lose too much investment if vaping didn’t work out for me. But once I discovered how much I really enjoy vaping (took about an hour!!), I quickly out grew my first mod. I have no buyers regret for my first device. It’s what helped me quit smoking – and because of that, and despite it’s limitations, it sits at the top of my list as one of my favorites. Still use it!

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I personally do not suggest unadjustable devices to anyone new or experienced. Just doesn’t make sense to not be able to control your vape unless you are an experienced builder that can dial in your build.
:thumb: I totally agree. An unpleasant vape can often be corrected with a simple wattage adjustment. You can't easily do that with a fixed output battery device. You can purchase a excellent variable wattage battery device for the same price as a fixed wattage device, so why not go with the one that is adjustable?

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
You can purchase a excellent variable wattage battery device for the same price as a fixed wattage device, so why not go with the one that is adjustable?

Because as a new user to vaping we don’t know any different. I almost bought one. I think they look awesome and feel great in the hand. And most a more pocketable than a bulky heavy metal box with a tank on it. This is key to someone trying to quit smoking…or it least it was for me. I grilled the sales clerk about anything and everything I could ask about vaping. And although adjustable wattage was brought up, it didn’t matter, I had other concerns like how will I carry such a device. If we are not exposed to something, it is difficult to see the benefits.

These devices fit that gap between pod systems and adjustable full fledged mods (kits!). To many this is all that is needed to quit smoking. They will continue to purchase coils that work within the limits of the device until the device breaks down and they’ll buy another, similar device. They will not pursue vaping any further for they may have no interest in buttons, screens fancy tanks etc. To them, it is the perfect vape!

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Certainly... if lucky enough to like the vape right out of the gate. A lot of new vapers may not or additionally may use coils that don't really work with a fixed wattage setup.

There may be the advantage of simplicity and there do seem to be some fixed wattage setups that work for folks, some of the time, but it's overall more versatile to start with an adjustable wattage device. Ideally, some knowledge to go with it.

And, unless you know whether you prefer MTL or DL vaping, a wattage such as the above kind of locks a user into a particular vape range which luckily enough, this vaper seems to enjoy. Having the right coils is important though too.

I tend to think adjustable wattage is the way to go honestly although I'm glad the OP is enjoying his vape and everything.

Anna

• Agree
Reactions: Baditude

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
You really don't want your tank that hot, if you can avoid it. There is absolutely nothing wrong with TC once you get to that point heat wise, if you want to learn to use it. There are also other ways to avoid hot, which include rotating setups, adding (sometimes even a small amount like a few drops per tank) of distilled water, which can lower temps significantly due to its lower boiling point.

With that said, as a new vaper there were probably times my tank overheated considerably, I'm still alive and still vaping. So as a new user, I probably wouldn't FREAK about it, it's still WAY safer than smoking, and the biggest improvement I saw in not chain vaping on one or two setups was my coils last considerably longer. I use TC some now but not all the time (some of my favorite setups won't support it) but as I spread my vaping over more setups and there is less heat, that's been the biggest change. Probably overall better for me too.

But the takeaway here is unless your tanks are getting lava like in their hotness, just learn to vape stably before worrying too much and maybe expect to change your coil a bit more frequently but it won't kill you, and almost all new vapers chain vape at first, it almost seems to be an Entry Requirement. I chain vaped a LOT as I was new and trying to tame the savage, smoking beast.

Good luck,

Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread