Prodigy V3-- Safest Batteries???

Status
Not open for further replies.
After all the hubbub of the exploding pv, I became scared to vape (as I'm sure a lot of you did). I've done a lot of research on battery safety the past 24 hours or so. It seems as though LiFePO4 batteries are safe if their rating is above 5C. However, the Tenergy batteries that my 6.0V V3 came with are only rated at 1C or something. (Found this info here: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/ecf-library/129569-rechargeable-batteries.html)

I bought my vape about 5 months ago, and my setup is the standard V3 6 volt setup with 510 adapter as ordered from puresmoker. This means that there are 2 Tenergy 3.2V batteries (green colored) stacked inside... and from what I hear, stacking is bad.

That link also has said that Li-Mn batteries or LiFePO4 with a rating above 5C are the safest options. However, I can't find anywhere that gives specific options for these types of batteries that will fit in my Prodigy V3.

I'm also considering drilling some vents in the bottom of my V3 to avoid explosion...

So basically, my questions is: What are the safest batteries to use with my 6 Volt V3.

It is time to contact your vendor for the latest recommendations. 1C is not what you want.

Do you know what 1C means in a little battery.

You are going to get all kinds of recommendations.

Call/email your vendor.

Yes I understand 1C is not good...

I just emailed puresmoker about the issue... but I'm hesitant to trust them, considering that their standard setup includes these 1C batteries.

ianlm

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2012
Louisville, KY
www.ianmassey.com
Stacking is only bad when you don't take the necessary safety precautions. All of the batteries we use as vapers are potentially dangerous, but they don't need to be actually dangerous if we use them properly. The dangers involved with stacking, above and beyond standard safety issues involving these types of batteries mostly involve mis-matched charge levels.

Consider buying a multimeter. They cost as little as $10, and a cheap one is fine for this purpose. Use it to monitor your batteries' charge levels to ensure that you don't have mis-matched, under or over charged cells. I like to check mine both after charging and after removing them from my PV to charge.

For more and much better info, Mario AKA LordShad0w is an expert on batteries, and does a show on VapeTV - ECig Reviews & ECig Entertainment on Saturday nights where he talks about them and offers advice/answers questions from fellow vapers. Very worth checking out if you're interested!

dearme

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2011
Colorado
Just what I found while searching........

Rechargeable batteries

We now advise that Li-Mn or LiFePO4 rechargeables are used in mods, in preference to rechargeable Li-ions. We suggest the best option, in order, is:

1. AW IMR Li-Mn rechargeables.
2. AW LiFePO4 rechargeables [LiFePO4's MUST HAVE A SPECIAL CHARGER]. Note that these batteries are mostly 3 volt nominal so the system voltage will be lower than normal.
3. Good quality (such as AW or Pila) protected Li-ion rechargeables.
4. Branded protected Li-ions come next - such as xxxfire Li-ion rechargeables (for xxx insert Trust / Sure / Ultra-).
5. The least-preferable option is a generic protected Li-ion.

Chart of C ratings vs size
1C or less for low-quality Li-FePo4
Assume 1C for generic Li-ion unless otherwise noted
1.5C for ultra/sure/trust/-fire Li-ion
2C for AW ICR (Li-ion)
3C for BDL 10440 IMR (Li-Mn)
5C for BDL 14500 IMR (Li-Mn)
8C for AW 14500 and 16340 IMR (Li-Mn)
10C for AW 18650 IMR (Li-Mn)
10C for AW Li-FePo4

I bought PVs based on battery. Mine all use the AW IMR 18650 1300mah battery.

Stacking batteries is not as safe as not stacking batteries. I don't know by how much as I don't stack batteries.

Stacking is only bad when you don't take the necessary safety precautions. All of the batteries we use as vapers are potentially dangerous, but they don't need to be actually dangerous if we use them properly. The dangers involved with stacking, above and beyond standard safety issues involving these types of batteries mostly involve mis-matched charge levels.

Consider buying a multimeter. They cost as little as $10, and a cheap one is fine for this purpose. Use it to monitor your batteries' charge levels to ensure that you don't have mis-matched, under or over charged cells. I like to check mine both after charging and after removing them from my PV to charge.

For more and much better info, Mario AKA LordShad0w is an expert on batteries, and does a show on VapeTV - ECig Reviews & ECig Entertainment on Saturday nights where he talks about them and offers advice/answers questions from fellow vapers. Very worth checking out if you're interested!

i'll check that out. do you have a 6V V3? using a multimeter after every charge sounds a bit annoying.... but I guess if it's the safest way maybe it's a necessary precaution.

also, info on this forum freaked me out, considering that a guy using the same setup as me suffered face injuries from an explosion: the last post on 1st page of this thread http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/puresmoker/196065-why-no-vents-v3-1-a.html

ianlm

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2012
Louisville, KY
www.ianmassey.com
i'll check that out. do you have a 6V V3? using a multimeter after every charge sounds a bit annoying.... but I guess if it's the safest way maybe it's a necessary precaution.

also, info on this forum freaked me out, considering that a guy using the same setup as me suffered face injuries from an explosion: the last post on 1st page of this thread http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/puresmoker/196065-why-no-vents-v3-1-a.html

nope, i only use mods that take AW-IMR 18650's (so far). A multimeter is certainly the best way to stay on top of the condition of your batteries. It takes about 2 seconds to check a battery, and is not complicated or difficult at all.

It's good that you're being proactive about the safety of your device, what happened to the guy in Florida is awful, and we should all do our best to ensure that it doesn't happen to anyone else. The info that rolygate provides here: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-mods-update-february-2012-a.html#post5327522 would go a long ways toward that end if disseminated widely enough.

Just what I found while searching........

Rechargeable batteries

We now advise that Li-Mn or LiFePO4 rechargeables are used in mods, in preference to rechargeable Li-ions. We suggest the best option, in order, is:

1. AW IMR Li-Mn rechargeables.
2. AW LiFePO4 rechargeables [LiFePO4's MUST HAVE A SPECIAL CHARGER]. Note that these batteries are mostly 3 volt nominal so the system voltage will be lower than normal.
3. Good quality (such as AW or Pila) protected Li-ion rechargeables.
4. Branded protected Li-ions come next - such as xxxfire Li-ion rechargeables (for xxx insert Trust / Sure / Ultra-).
5. The least-preferable option is a generic protected Li-ion.

Chart of C ratings vs size
1C or less for low-quality Li-FePo4
Assume 1C for generic Li-ion unless otherwise noted
1.5C for ultra/sure/trust/-fire Li-ion
2C for AW ICR (Li-ion)
3C for BDL 10440 IMR (Li-Mn)
5C for BDL 14500 IMR (Li-Mn)
8C for AW 14500 and 16340 IMR (Li-Mn)
10C for AW 18650 IMR (Li-Mn)
10C for AW Li-FePo4

I bought PVs based on battery. Mine all use the AW IMR 18650 1300mah battery.

Stacking batteries is not as safe as not stacking batteries. I don't know by how much as I don't stack batteries.

Yeah I read most of that along the way-- my question is more for my specific device. Where can I find these safer batteries specifically for my 6Volt Prodigy V3

ianlm

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2012
Louisville, KY
www.ianmassey.com
hummingbeard,
I am serious.
Get serious with your vendor.
and I don't think I would use those 1C Tenergy cells.

It doesn't take long for an overworked little cell to get old.

Yes hopefully they will get back to me soon... for the time being I'm going back to analogs. Ya I know the risk is super low of the stuff exploding, but my face is too pretty to risk getting exploded. It's just kind of nerveracking to think that something that I'm puffing on might take out pieces of my tongue...

GracieM

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2011
USA
I have Prodigy V3.1. I have only used the 3.7 battery and cannot tell you difference between 3 and 6V. At one time I was thinking of using it at 6V but figured I really don't need to. I use 50pg 50vg or 60pg 40vg when I can. Vapor is excellent. Since I use 24mg, TH is very good. Right now I'm using puresmoker's (bud, I think) 2.0 atomizer. It works great for me.

Wish there were more details about exactly what happened wrong in this story. Sometimes, we never get the details and it's a scary thought, could it happen to me? At first I was nervous about it but I think now, I have to take my chances. After 4 months of vaping, I can't tell you how much better I feel. The thought of Lung Cancer or COPD scares me more.

Good luck :)

tokarev

ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2009
Tennessee, USA
I just got a couple of these and a charger:

4.8 Volt NiMH Battery Cell

They are out of stock right now, but I believe Super T also carries them, and probably others as well. They work fine in my Prodigy V1, running close to 5V using the switch without a resistor. I have not heard of NiMH batteries exploding (unless you put them in a fire) so it seems like a fairly safe option for 5V vaping. The packs are only 600 mAH though, so they will need recharging often. I only use the Prodigy at home, so that's not a problem for me. I use a Puck mod (also NiMH powered) or a Protege with LiMN batteries when I'm out and about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread