Progress on restoring vapes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MRVaporizer

Dec 15, 2018
Latvia
Hello,
It's been a few years since I joined the vape community. For the whole time I bought only new vapes, as older ones were left behind. Getting rid of my old vapes and buying new ones.

But recently it all changed, since I decided I'll try restoring old vapes!
That's the thing, people scratch them, maintain poorly them, but they're still usable. Their prices drop dramatically with their looks. But they still work fine!

So I decided on restoring scratched, beat up vapes and giving them a whole new look!;)

IMG-20200308-WA0070.jpg

So this is a greatly aged, one of the first versions of smok alien 220W from 2016! It originates from the UK, coming all the way to Baltic states. It looks all beat up, got it for a really good price!

IMG_20200324_222928.jpg

Did a paint job on the line metal, brushing the buttons as well as sanding down the metal. Wanted to do a Storm Trooper replica, but the paint started sagging, and overall, was an awful paint.

IMG_20200222_012338.jpg

Next one is a Joyetech eVic Mini, don't have a lot of pictures of it, but overall was a scratched, bruised vape. So I sanded it down, painted it and gave it a new look!

IMG_20200421_182344.jpg

The third one in progress is another Smok Alien 220W :thumb:

Hopefully will turn out just as imagined! Stay tuned!

smacuser

Total Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    people use toothpaste on car headlights to polish them and restore clarity. Might work on displays?
    Or maybe some of that headlight polisher sold at the parts store. It's probably made of the same substances (like pg is in antifreeze :lol:).

Be sure to test a small corner first.

MRVaporizer

Dec 15, 2018
    Latvia
    people use toothpaste on car headlights to polish them and restore clarity. Might work on displays?
    I tried car polish, yet it didn't do so well. Fixed the scratches a tiny bit. Maybe I didn't use enough of it. Hmm. Guess I'll try that one more time. Last resort would be some clear coat paint. A car mechanic I know had some clear coat left over. Sprayed it over his SMOK Alien 220, couldn't tell it had ever been scratched. Anyway it was a tiny bit foggy. Thanks!

MRVaporizer

Dec 15, 2018
    Latvia
    Or maybe some of that headlight polisher sold at the parts store. It's probably made of the same substances (like pg is in antifreeze :lol:).

Be sure to test a small corner first.
    At it's core, as far as I know, polish doesn't change that much. Although there could be some change, since the headlights nowadays are made from plastic...o_O

Reactions: ShowMeTwice

PeterKay

ECF Veteran
    May 1, 2020
    Edinburgh, Scotland, UK
    I tried car polish, yet it didn't do so well. Fixed the scratches a tiny bit. Maybe I didn't use enough of it. Hmm. Guess I'll try that one more time. Last resort would be some clear coat paint. A car mechanic I know had some clear coat left over. Sprayed it over his SMOK Alien 220, couldn't tell it had ever been scratched. Anyway it was a tiny bit foggy. Thanks!
    Did you use any power tool with that car polish? There are different polishing/buffing attachments for little dremel rotary tools, you might want to look that way. Awesome little thing for diy, crafts and small jobs where high rpms are needed.

Reactions: ShowMeTwice

vaper1960

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    Good job. It's kinda ironic (I've only been vaping less than 2 years) All my mods (and some of my tanks) are old school (but fairly new condition) picked up on clearance sales. I guess I'm super careful with my stuff (low budget... can't afford to mess them up) but I have done similar with other things... love saving old stuff and making it look good.
    When I was 14 (don't laugh... 1974) I completely took a bike apart, stripped the paint, sanded it, sprayed painted it 2-step "candy apple" green with gold undercoat, cleaned and lubed every bearing and replaced all brake pads/cables. I was so proud (until I forgot to lock it up one day... stupid is as stupid does... broke my heart to lose it after all that work)

smacuser

Total Member
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    @smacuser, just thinking of how to restore a plastic visor on motorcycle helmet. As I do remember that they use abrasive and work their way to extremely fine grit, similar to polishing pitch that's used in optical fabrication of lenses and mirrors such as those in glasses and telescopes.
    And the baked on goo inside my windshield.

Mordacai

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 16, 2019
    UK
    And the baked on goo inside my windshield.

That may well need an low level industrial steam cleaner and cleaning with Isopropyl Alcohol to take care of, then a damm good polishing with Autoglym Glass polish or the likes to help prevent it from sticking to the glass the same again due to the thin layer of polish.

Just not too sure whether you'd need a wet or dry steam cleaner, yes it's weird but there are 2 different types.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread