Propylene glycol in e cigarettes might keep us healthy, says researchers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dino Dave

Jan 26, 2013
Winnipeg, Canada
I found this article while searching for info on propylene glycol. Thought I would share it here. Excerpt from the article is below. Link to full article at bottom.

Propylene glycol, the primary ingredient in the electronic cigarette cartridge, may be a powerful deterrent against pneumonia, influenza, and other respiratory diseases when vaporized and inhaled according to a study by Dr. Oswald Hope Robertson. Decades before the e cigarette was invented, a study was conducted by Dr. Robertson of the University of Chicago's Billings Hospital in 1942 on inhalation of vaporized propylene glycol in laboratory mice. A more in-depth article was printed in the 1942 issue of TIME Magazine http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...932876,00.html for November 16th. "Dr. Robertson placed groups of mice in a chamber and sprayed its air first with propylene glycol, then with influenza virus. All the mice lived. Then he sprayed the chamber with virus alone. All the mice died."

The researchers also found that "the propylene glycol itself was a potent germicide. One part of glycol in 2,000,000 parts of air would--within a few seconds--kill concentrations of air-suspended pneumococci, streptococci and other bacteria numbering millions to the cubic foot."

Clinical trials on electronic cigarettes containing propylene glycol were carried out in New Zealand by Dr. Murray Laugeson of Health New Zealand and can be found on the website of SS Choice LLC at http://www.eCigarettesChoice.com under the tab "Media Coverage." Far from posing a threat to our health, the propylene glycol in e cigarettes might just keep us healthy. Further studies should be done on the effects of propylene glycol to determine if it can be used successfully as a virus prevention tool. Wouldn't it be wonderful if the best flu preventative was right under our noses all this time?

http://www.news-medical.net/news/200...searchers.aspx

Last edited:

PickyJuicer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 11, 2012
Buffalo, NY
My normal, horrible, every year winter cold/flu/whatever it is was cut down something huge! I never ended up with the sinus mess, at all. No drips, no sneezing, no red nose, no stuffiness. I did have a cough and congestion, but it wasn't that deep, rattling around cough. The congestion, or irritation really, was more in my trachea/bronchial tubes, rather than my lungs. I remember getting so sick I wish I could just rip my lungs out and scratch them clean! Once the irritation was gone, I did have a cough for about three weeks, but it was productive and seemed par for the course for this flu. I didn't have a "confirmed" case of it, but my best friend's daughter, son & grandson were all confirmed. Since we spend a lot of time together and all got sick around the same time with the same symptoms, I'm going to assume it was the flu.

montara

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 2, 2012
Nor-Cal
Just has a nasty cold rip through my house, kids first then wife. It started with the head/sinus then into the lungs with lingering cough. Finally caught up with me but never progressed into the lungs. Wife cant believe I'm not coughing as I've never avoided the full effects of the annual bug. Guess I'll have to keep vaping for at least another year to confirm my suspicion about pg/vg:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread