ProTank 2 problems, need help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cadaveris

ECF Veteran
Nov 2, 2013
GA, USA
Hello all, I've been vaping on some RY4 out of my protank 2 all day. I'm using an MVP v2 set to 6.5w, juice has been great. The past few hits have tasted burnt, maybe with a sharp tang to them. I waited in between puffs and even gave a few slow powerless drags before puffs to no avail. I changed the coil in it thinking I had burnt it out, but now I'm tasting plastic.. any ideas what I can do?

Amberina

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
What voltage/ wattage do you have it set to? Also, when you replaced the coil did you wait at least 10 min before using it (to let the juice completely saturate the wicks)?
I have the same setup (MVP 2 and protank 2) and sometimes when I have been vaping for a long period I have the same problem. It is because I don't give the juice enough time to wick up in between pulls. If I slow down a bit it stops tasting burnt.
Also make sure your volts/watts are not set to high (but you probably already know that).
Hope this helps you!
Good luck!

Last edited:
I have had the original Protank, and 2 of the Protank 2s... All genuine Kanger products, not the cheap knock offs... I hear rave reviews about them, and alot of good things about them.
I have had NOTHING but PROBLEMS...

I despise the Protank 1/2... I bought multiples believing it was something I was doing wrong. I've had the same burnt taste issue and have blown threw atomizer coils, I have had leaking issues, as well as not being able to remove the bottom piece without heavy tools destroying the outside of the tank. I always recommend against them.

I'm happy with my setup now which is a cartomizer tank for work or on-the-go, and a RSST or RDA for when I'm at home. I don't have an answer to your question, or a solution, just wanted to input on how I gave up on these...

RubyRoo

ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2013
Colorado Springs, CO
First: be sure that you are using genuine Kanger heads as the knockoffs have many issues.

Second: if you are using a 50/50 blend of e-liquid or a higher VG juice, your may need to remove one or both of the flavor wicks that rest on top of the coiled wick. Take those short, strong, unpowered primmer puffs. If you see the bubbles rise in your tank, you know it's wicking properly.

Third: Take out your atomizer head, pull off the top "chimney" of your atomizer and check your coil. Does it look deep brown? Does the coil looked gunked up? If so, soak your head in vodka or HOT water for a few hours, then give it a dry burn, blow off any gunk, and reassemble. Be sure that your wick is white before putting it all back together.

Fourth: there is a small chance that your coil has shorted out, or you have burned through the insulator on your atomizer head. Take everything a part, examine your coil and be sure that no part of the coil is touching the metal cup that it rests in. If you can, examine the "cream" colored insulator from the top and bottom and be sure that you haven't burned though it. This will be hard to see, I recommend using a flashlight. If the insulator is toast, chuck it all out. Sometimes, the factory heads aren't quite right and will burn the insulator, resulting in a burnt rubber taste.

Hopefully one of these things will help you! Vape on!

pufZeppelin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 6, 2013
Florida, SW
Hello all, I've been vaping on some RY4 out of my protank 2 all day.
I'm using an MVP v2 set to 6.5w, juice has been great. The past few hits have tasted burnt, maybe with a sharp tang to them. I waited in between puffs and even gave a few slow powerless drags before puffs to no avail.
I changed the coil in it thinking I had burnt it out, but now I'm tasting plastic..
any ideas what I can do?

after it went burnt taste on ya, did you switch out the old juice ?
that burnt flavor will carry into the juice (did you just add without cleaning ?)

your old wick probably got gunked-up (RY4,dark caramel) clings to coil
then needs cleaned--that dirty taste transferred into the remaining juice and tank walls

install new or cleaned coil, clean tank, fresh juice (start all new)

a heavy RY4 user myself, I've learned SOON AS I notice bad taste, I do something NOW !
don't keep vaping it, it just gets worse... normally just vape another while I clean said coil quick

also with MVP, a little trick I play with :

vaping along at 6.5w then sense burnt starting
I switch over to lower setting, say, 3.4v to let things cool down
with MVP it is easy to just go back-n-fourth, " W to V "
it seems to work, but just prolongs (being lazy) the cleaning...

Vape≈Fresh :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread