protank and burning through heads

Status
Not open for further replies.

StephN1966

Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
York, PA
Hi All...I have three brand new protanks purchased from fasttech. I loved them for all of three days and then tonight I got the horrible burnt taste from two of them. I took apart the replacement head and sure enough they are singed beyond belief. I am using them on an ego twist at 4.8 Am I doing something wrong? a lower voltage leaves me wanting a bigger hit. I am waiting on an SVD to arrive from fasttech. They are real Kanger products or at least they have the stamp. I don't want to be replacing coils every three days, any advice?

Jazzi Mike

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2013
Michigan
You didn't say resistance the Protank heads are? That really would determine whether 4.8 volts would be really high or not. Your heads are probably not singed, but rather just kind of coated with gunk. You can soak them in alcohol overnight and see if they might just be dirty.

Another thing that can prolong the heads is to dump out the remainder in the tank before refilling. This is especially true if you notice that your juice is darker than the bottle.

SonHouse

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2013
Seminole
While the time is about right for a cleaning that varies by type of juice and the amount you run through the tank. You shouldn't normally get burning though. I generally get less and less output. I suppose it could be because the wicking is so bad that you were getting dry hits or that you're using a sweet juice where the sugar has coated the coil and then burned when you lit up the coil.

When I notice the output vapor has dropped too low, I pull the coil and let it soak in water, then alcohol, then water again then dry it out and put it back in service after dry burning it.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
2.2 ohm, - 4.8v = 10.50+ watts. To much for the Tank for extended periods. You are building up burnt e-liquids.
I'd suggest swapping Heads on each fill and Soak the old one.
Soak in Alcohol for a few hours, Rinse and lay aside to dry.
This should dramatically increase useability.
Running your heads at 4.0-4.2v would help also. Get into the 7.5-8 watt range.
These are bottom coil, If you are attempting to get a Warmer Vape, you should consider Top wick devices. Same Power output but much warmer.

China Gamesmanship - All Fasttech Kanger is Fake - Yea, right. NOT, the Logo'd Kanger are Identical and ARE Kanger product. Yes they have a copy, but they DO NOT claim it to be Kanger.

Last edited:

StephN1966

Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
York, PA

StephN1966

Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
York, PA
2.2 ohm, - 4.8v = 10.50+ watts. To much for the Tank for extended periods. You are building up burnt e-liquids.
I'd suggest swapping Heads on each fill and Soak the old one.
Soak in Alcohol for a few hours, Rinse and lay aside to dry.
This should dramatically increase useability.
Running your heads at 4.0-4.2v would help also. Get into the 7.5-8 watt range.
These are bottom coil, If you are attempting to get a Warmer Vape, you should consider Top wick devices. Same Power output but much warmer.

China Gamesmanship - All Fasttech Kanger is Fake - Yea, right. NOT, the Logo'd Kanger are Identical and ARE Kanger product. Yes they have a copy, but they DO NOT claim it to be Kanger.
I also have a Vivi Nova and find I sacrifice taste with that option. I will are the answer..:) probably just endure the cost of replacement heads until my SVD and Vision Aurora arrive and pray they are the answer..:)

SonHouse

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 7, 2013
Seminole
That was exactly my thought, you get what you pay for. So frustrating, I will try to soak them but I am hopeful that my SVD and Aurora BFT will provide a better experience when they arrive.

Hit up DiscountVapers, get some real Kanger heads and see if your life improves!

Thunderball

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2013
Grayson, Georgia
Yes on all the above.

Your gonna have to get use to setting your volts under 4.0 on a protank if you dont want burnt heads. Get use to vaping at 3.3 to 3.6-3.7.

If you want more vapor, add more VG..; like a 50/50 mix.

As said above, clean your heads..... keep them in a rotation. I would take it out everyday and drop it in a shot glass with Vodka for a while, take out and blow water through the bottom out then put it down to dry for 24 hours....... then put the one your cleaned and has been drying since yesterday in and your good to go until tomorrow.

Yes, FT kanger heads are not as good as the real deal for some reason. You can get them 5 for about 6 bucks here in the states if you shope around.

KjAthena

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 10, 2013
Tampa Bay
I give my protanks a bath every time I empty a tank...I simply run the hottest water from my tap tru them and give them a little 15 soak in a bowl of hot water blow out all the water I can and let them air dry....once a week I also do a vodka soak rinse and let air dry...I have not had the need to do a dry burn yet but thank those who took the time to put up youtubes explaining how as I know the day is coming :)I love my protanks and have one of each of the 3

and yes I think you maybe vaping at a bit too high of voltage as I have found that for most of my juices (Bakery,teas,coffees and fruits) 50/50 lower voltage is fine...your juices may be different however

Last edited:

Bibliophile713

ECF Veteran
Jul 19, 2013
SC, USA
I give my protanks a bath every time I empty a tank...I simply run the hottest water from my tap tru them and give them a little 15 soak in a bowl of hot water blow out all the water I can and let them air dry....once a week I also do a vodka soak rinse and let air dry...I have not had the need to do a dry burn yet but thank those who took the time to put up youtubes explaining how as I know the day is coming :)I love my protanks and have one of each of the 3

and yes I think you maybe vaping at a bit too high of voltage as I have found that for most of my juices (Bakery,teas,coffees and fruits) 50/50 lower voltage is fine...your juices may be different however

I did my first dry burn today. I thought that I had followed the instructions to the letter, but now there's a bit of a burnt coil taste in my juice :(

Steven_

ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
Louisiana
I have never had any trouble with FT heads, work just as good as any other. 3-4ml a day for 3 days is a lot for a protank, just need to clean them.i just run under hot water then blow dry them dry and do about 5 dry burn and bam good to go. If you want to save money buy some cotton yarn, (peaches and cream) from walmart and rebuild your heads. just remember you can not dry burn cotton at all. get ya some 32 gauge wire also.

Last edited:

stearic

ECF Veteran
Nov 19, 2012
Kansas
Yes on all the above.

Your gonna have to get use to setting your volts under 4.0 on a protank if you dont want burnt heads. Get use to vaping at 3.3 to 3.6-3.7.

If you want more vapor, add more VG..; like a 50/50 mix.

As said above, clean your heads..... keep them in a rotation. I would take it out everyday and drop it in a shot glass with Vodka for a while, take out and blow water through the bottom out then put it down to dry for 24 hours....... then put the one your cleaned and has been drying since yesterday in and your good to go until tomorrow.

Yes, FT kanger heads are not as good as the real deal for some reason. You can get them 5 for about 6 bucks here in the states if you shope around.

That's an interesting idea regarding having a few heads in rotation. How much would these prolong the life of the heads to do this? How many heads would you say to have in rotation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread