Protank/cheesecloth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UncHellMatt

ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2013
Boston
It's absolutely possible, sure. When I rebuild ProTank heads, I wrap the coil on a relatively thick paperclip, then mount it with the paperclip still in the coil. That way, when I'm adjusting everything the coils stay in place. After I've got the rubber piece and the bottom pin installed, I draw out the paperclip and use a sewing needle to pull through enough strands of cheesecloth to "fill" the coils.

Personally I use silica for the flavor wick, but you can use cheesecloth for it, too.

OH! And don't forget to check your resistance, and of course don't fire it without the cheesecloth wick completely saturated or you'll cook it =) Learned that lesson the hard way.

artbyshan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2012
Chattanooga, TN
I've been using cotton balls I got from CVS. I boiled them a handful of them for twenty minutes and let them dry overnight sandwiched in between a paper towel. If they are still a little damp, I put the paper towel and cotton in the microwave for about 15 seconds, and this seems to eliminate any moisture. I've been recoiling the Protank heads for almost two months. I use a nano coil of 30 gauge Kanthal that I made off of a 14 gauge syringe (Blunt Tip) needle. I mistakenly used this as opposed to the 20 gauge needle, but I like it better. Once it is wrapped tightly, I position the coil with a very small and precision screwdriver. 10 wraps of 30 gauge (When scrunched/torched together) provide me a resistance of 2.2 ohms. I then take a small section of the cotton ball and roll it tight on one end an put it through the coils. The cotton when pulled gently will have some resistance (I use tweezers once it is inside the coil), and then thats when I stop (Just want it snug against the inside of the coil). I trim off the excess, apply a little juice before applying the post on top, and usually get four/five days off of a wick (Depending upon the juice I'm using in the Protank, and how lazy do I feel). If you are careful about removing the cotton, you can dry burn your coils, then reinsert cotton again without having to change your coils. I have one I've been using over a month without having to re-wrap coils. The cotton really seems to improve the flavor, has not leaked on me (Expands inside the coil), and can even tighten the draw if that is what is desired (Just put a thicker piece- e.g., Protank 1 this improves the draw). It is very inexpensive (My box cost about $4- May be even able to find it much cheaper), and at this rate the small handful of cotton I boiled should last me for months, and I still have most of the box I purchased left in the cabinet. Hope this helps. Provided a few pics since it's past time to change wick.
IMG_6830.jpg IMG_6844.jpg IMG_6847.jpg IMG_6849.jpg IMG_6850.jpg

Rickb119

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2013
Greeley, CO, USA
Cotton is the way to go whether you use cotton balls, cheesecloth, cooking twine (my favorite), or yarn. Hemp twine is another option (although a little harder to find). Experiment a little to find out what you like. If I have my wire precut and torched, I can do one in about 5 minutes. Also, get a bead threading needle (hobby lobby). It makes it so much easier to pull it through the coil.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread