Status
Not open for further replies.

BusterBear

Verified Member
Sep 2, 2013
Washington
No right or wrong way but whatever way works for you.

I probably use 3 times as much cotton and roll it between my fingers and thread it into the coil while its outside of base.

I do not use the rubber on air tube and zero dry hits vaping at 8 watts

No leaks... just another idea to try

Ditto, i originally used a wisp of cotton and had a lot of leaks, now i twist a much bigger piece of cotton down as tight as i can get it. No leaks.

BusterBear

Verified Member
Sep 2, 2013
Washington
What's everyone doing for scorched grommets? My first rebuild a while back i was roasting that thing dry burning. Now i double the legs over and twist, and just tap once till i see my coils light up then im done. I still get a few very small scorch marks but thats all i have for now without soldering non resistance wire to the legs.. not at all interested in that.

Doubling up the legs will throw my resistance off by a bit, but good enough for now.

Thanks.

LargeD

Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Central Florida
I built a protank coil similar to this a few days ago. I watched a tutorial on YouTube that showed a 28 ga Kanthal, 12/11 wrap micro coil with a cotton wick. No flavor wick. I screwed up and cut my Kanthal too short, so I only got a 10/9 wrap. It metered out at 1.3 ohms and my Innokin SVD can handle that, so I decided to give it a try. At 7.5 watts, this setup gave me the best vaping I have had so far. Great flavor and very thick vapor. I thought I had found my perfect setup. The next day, I took a trip to the grocery store. Since I live in Florida, it was about 88° outside. The protank started leaking more than I have ever seen. I've been experimenting with adding flavor wick and it still leaks like crazy when I go outside. I think the leaking is mostly due to the reduction in viscosity caused by the heat. The best I've been able to do is use a flavor wick made from 2 strands pulled out of 2.5mm silica wick and I switched to a 30/70 pg/vg juice. The added viscosity slowed the leaking, but didn't stop it. Also, adding the flavor wick reduced the quality of the vapor greatly. If anyone has any suggestions, I would really appreciate it.

Last edited:

mgmrick

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
New York
Heat can thin out juice and cause problems

When I make mine cotton wicks I am using more cotton than most people. Roll it tight in my fingers and force into coil. I am using 32 gauge kanthal and mine come out at about 2.4 ohms. I remove the gasket on air tube and vape at 8 watts on kmax and 12 watts with svd without issues. Kmax produces more power than svd

I built a protank coil similar to this a few days ago. I watched a tutorial on YouTube that showed a 28 ga Kanthal, 12/11 wrap micro coil with a cotton wick. No flavor wick. I screwed up and cut my Kanthal too short, so I only got a 10/9 wrap. It metered out at 1.3 ohms and my Innokin SVD can handle that, so I decided to give it a try. At 7.5 watts, this setup gave me the best vaping I have had so far. Great flavor and very thick vapor. I thought I had found my perfect setup. The next day, I took a trip to the grocery store. Since I live in Florida, it was about 88° outside. The protank started leaking more than I have ever seen. I've been experimenting with adding flavor wick and it still leaks like crazy when I go outside. I think the leaking is mostly due to the reduction in viscosity caused by the heat. The best I've been able to do is use a flavor wick made from 2 strands pulled out of 2.5mm silica wick and I switched to a 30/70 pg/vg juice. The added viscosity slowed the leaking, but didn't stop it. Also, adding the flavor wick reduced the quality of the vapor greatly. If anyone has any suggestions, I would really appreciate it.

epicnamehere

Aug 27, 2013
Los Angeles, Ca
I tried 6-7 wraps with .3mm kanthal A1 ribbon on a 1/16 drill bit and squeezed them together (I think they are touching). Came out to 1.9 ohms. I can't believe how much vapor and good throat hit I am getting out of an evod on an ego vv. Probably twice as much or more than the stock atty. The tricky part for me was figuring the right amount of cotton so you don't need need flavor wicks and you don't get dry hits. Hasn't leaked once.

LargeD

Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Central Florida
Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a try with more cotton. I'm beginning to believe this setup is not going to work in a warm climate.

Heat can thin out juice and cause problems

When I make mine cotton wicks I am using more cotton than most people. Roll it tight in my fingers and force into coil. I am using 32 gauge kanthal and mine come out at about 2.4 ohms. I remove the gasket on air tube and vape at 8 watts on kmax and 12 watts with svd without issues. Kmax produces more power than svd

ROT_Day

Jul 9, 2013
Houston, TX, USA
:headbang:Metalhed ... great tutorial!!! Works like a champ. First time tried it, the coil came out perfect. Less than five minutes and back in business. Made several since. Going to have my wife switch over to a Protank mini so we can recoil the same heads. So far all the coils have come out between 1.6 - 1.9 ohms. Working out a system to use a mech mod. Have found that this resistance works well for the juice being used and the voltage/current supplied by the small UltraFire 18350 1200mAh batteries used in my Vamo. Will switch to a similar IMR 18350 when going mechanical. That all being siad, you've really helped getting over the hurdle of recoiling attys.:thumbs:

metalhed73

Aug 1, 2013
United States
:headbang:Metalhed ... great tutorial!!! Works like a champ. First time tried it, the coil came out perfect. Less than five minutes and back in business. Made several since. Going to have my wife switch over to a Protank mini so we can recoil the same heads. So far all the coils have come out between 1.6 - 1.9 ohms. Working out a system to use a mech mod. Have found that this resistance works well for the juice being used and the voltage/current supplied by the small UltraFire 18350 1200mAh batteries used in my Vamo. Will switch to a similar IMR 18350 when going mechanical. That all being siad, you've really helped getting over the hurdle of recoiling attys.:thumbs:

If you are looking to take your protank to the next level with a mech look HERE I do a 28awg microcoil with about 6-7 wraps and it is a totally different animal on a mechanical (now pretty much my all day rig)

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
It seems like almost every time I try to rebuild a ProTank coil, it ends up shorting. It'll be solid until I put the chimney on. Then it varies a few tenths of an ohm. Then, as soon as I put the tank on, it stops working. I wish I could figure out what i'm doing wrong.

After you get the coil set in place, how do you cut/snip/break off the extra wire? If you still have a little nubbin of wire sticking out past the outer diameter of the coil base, it may be shorting out...?

mgmrick

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
New York
Snip the positive wire so that it does not stick beyond the rubber gasket....

It seems like almost every time I try to rebuild a ProTank coil, it ends up shorting. It'll be solid until I put the chimney on. Then it varies a few tenths of an ohm. Then, as soon as I put the tank on, it stops working. I wish I could figure out what i'm doing wrong.

anit77

Sep 25, 2013
Duluth, GA USA

Have you checked to be sure the chimney isn't contacting the coil in any way?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

ZW99GT

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 31, 2012
DFW
Nice work! As long as you have a nice coil with no serious short, the performance greatly depends on the cotton. I built two coils back to back, one on a T3S and one on an Evod. The T3S loves 25/75 pg/vg, the Evod loves 50/50 because of the slight difference in the wicks I put through.

I have been around 12 tanks through the Evod @ ~11W and it's been unstoppable. So impressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread