Protank with stainless steel mesh wick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Possessed

Mar 11, 2013
Laveen, Arizona, USA
I saw a YouTube video on this the other day. I was making a mesh wick for my Z Atty Pro yesterday so I could compare it to the ceramic ones I have been using in it. Ended up with a small piece left over after I trimmed it to fit the Z atty. Sooooooo....... What the heck I pulled apart an old Protank coil and slapped together 2 ohm coil with a small peice of 400 mesh wick. Had to unroll the little peice a wrap or so to make it fit just right since it was made for the Z Atty. Unlike the video I didn't put any of the old wick back in. Just the mesh peice. I have been vaping it all day today and must say I am stoked. It is hitting like a beast and outstanding flavor. Figured it might have flooding issues but the little cap on the tube fits right up on the wick just like it normally would when I pull the one top wick out of em. I recomended trying this to anyone who is into modding stuff. Let me know how it goes for you if you do. Just curious if I am nuts or it is actually as much better as I feel it is.

vape on!!!!

Possessed

Mar 11, 2013
Laveen, Arizona, USA
Update. Converted all my Kanger bottom feeders to SS mesh. (T3, Evod and Protank). Have even done my BCC Mega. All working better than ever. Solved my leaking issue on the Mega. This should probably be a blog for me. Anyway, for all you out there that just cant leave anything well enough alone. Give this a shot. I couldnt be happier with the results.

Possessed

Mar 11, 2013
Laveen, Arizona, USA
Nice! I'd love to see pics if you have them.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I didnt think to take any pics. I will take some when I fill the tanks next time. The Evods and the Protank were easy. Took me like 5 minutes. T3 was a little tricky, but real easy. The BCC Mega..... I shorted that one a couple times. The build quality isnt like the Kangers, and it ended up being 3ohms when i finally got it. Kangers are 2.2ohm on the protank and 1.8 on the others. nailed them right were I wanted them first try. I will get some pics up of them pretty quick.

Possessed

Mar 11, 2013
Laveen, Arizona, USA
i attempted this on my protank and ended up having the positive leg become a bad hotspot and scorching the rubber gasket, haven't tried it since lol would love to get this working like my genesis tho

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Yeah all the tinkering with my Z Atty Pro is what got me to try it. Had just wrapped up a beautiful 7 wrap, 2.4ohm beauty on the ceramic wick with Kanthal ribbon wire. Right from the get go it blew away any other coil I had made. 24 hours later and a tank and half, its like a fog machine at a club!!!!!!!! All my Kangers worked real well. This was actually my first time making SS mesh wicks. Had made one to try in my Z Atty, but the ribbon wire set up worked so well that I used it for the other stuff. Had to unroll it a little to make it fit. Give it another try. Guy has a video on youtube and I just basicly learned from that. I will try to get some pics up soon.

Possessed

Mar 11, 2013
Laveen, Arizona, USA
ss 1.jpg ss 5.jpg ss 2.jpg ss 3.jpg ss 4.jpg

Possessed

Mar 11, 2013
Laveen, Arizona, USA
Hey Possessed, thanks for posting this. I did a stardust but found the slots on the protank head even narrower
meaning even less mesh would fit. If I recall correctly.(I'm old)

I can't tell from the picks, did you widen the slots at all to allow for a thicker mesh wick to be inserted?

I did not. Just made the wick fit the units I was doing. Working great. Thought I responded to you earlier. Must have forgot to hit send. I'm old too. I just used the wick I was going to use on my Z Atty Pro before my ribbon wire wrap went so well on the ceramic wick. Had to unroll it make it smaller to fit the slots on the Kangers and the BCC Mega. Trimmed it to fit after I installed them.

Thanks!:vapor

317Vapers

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 17, 2012
Indiana
www.youtube.com
I have been wanting to try this but I'm waiting for some extra heads to get instock so I can order them. I just got my protank and dont want to sacrifice my only 2 heads until I get some backups lol. I'm digging this "not tipping" so much over the vivi's I wish I could just trade them in for more protanks LOL. Can we get a "lease" agreement for tanks when new ones come out, theres a small fee and trade it in. Unless you rode it too hard then your stuck with the buy back.

Possessed

Mar 11, 2013
Laveen, Arizona, USA
I'm gonna give it a go at this with fc 2000 ceramic very soon myself.

I have a couple broken ceramic wicks. May have to give that a go. Didn't even think to check the fit. The 400 mesh is doing great. Not a gurgle one. Just big fogging flavorful hits. I figured I would have to tinker with it some. Let me know how the ceramic goes. If I try it before you do I will post the results.

Possessed

Mar 11, 2013
Laveen, Arizona, USA
umm... do you have flooding? When you remove the protank off the battery, does the battery's (+) post flood/wet?
Thanks.

Surprisingly no. I figured it would be prone to flooding and leaking. I have had not had an issue with any of the Kangers I have converted. T3, Evod and Protank. Even my BCC Mega, though I don't use the mega much, it looks good in all black with smoked tank. Quality isn't the same as Kanger. But to answer your question, I have had not had any issues. Even running the tank empty when I might normally get some flooding with the stock wick. It runs down to air in the tank with no issues so far. That's all my Kanger converted models. Not just the protank

Possessed

Mar 11, 2013
Laveen, Arizona, USA
wow. Strange. I will try. Any hint/trick?
The ss wick is solid tight, or is it hollow inside like a straw?
What is the percentage mix of your fluid pg/vg?
My wick is solid. Real tight. Was originally rolled for my Z Atty Pro. Was going to try it to compare to my current ceramic wick. Had just rolled a nice ribbon wire on the ceramic, it worked sooooo well that it was staying in. So I decided to try the mesh in my Protank like I had seen a guy do on YouTube. I had to unroll it some to make it fit. I made it just big enough where it slid in tight but didnt have to stuff it in. Wrapped up o coil, look at pick and see if you can see how many coils, I don't rembernoff hand. It came out to 2.1 ohms. Slid the rubber piece back in with one leg of the coil on the outside. Put the other out the hole. Put in the center post and ta da. Mesh wick Protank. Guy has vid on YouTube. Didn't do it exactly like him as I thought it was too loose and would leak. Also didnt put any stock wick back on top. Figured that would defeat the purpose. I am stunned it works so well. Thought for sure it would leak. Hasn't yet. Give it a shot. Want to know if it is just me or if it is as good as I think. Taste and vapor production is awesome. I figured it was just a cheap loss if it didnt work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread