Not open for further replies.

RiverNut

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2012
Texas
That was my thought too Capt.
I think it's worth a try though as my sweaty paws tarnish them way too quickly. I think I'll just to ahead and order some and will post my opinion for folks who are tired of polishing so often. I have a spare brass tube that I can test it on. I will of course not apply it to the threads or any part that conducts.

vsummer1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2012
California
I have been waiting on a co-op for Shark Hide for a while now. I never used it before but it might be promising. When I do get it if I see it has merit I'll post on it.
When I originally posted for the Sharkhide, I was asking about both the protectant and the polish. I said I was thinking of a coop for one, and Kwalka went live with the polish, not the protectant. Hibiscuits was better suited to run it, as she has the scale and experience with shipping this sort of thing so she took it over.

I am still unclear as to whether the guys that have been using Sharkhide are using the polish first, then applying the protectant and would be very grateful for the clarification.

DO NOT USE BRASSO. It is too harsh and will leave swirls so you won't get the mirror finish.

CaptSteve

Airborn ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2011
41,000ft at M 0.85
When I originally posted for the Sharkhide, I was asking about both the protectant and the polish. I said I was thinking of a coop for one, and Kwalka went live with the polish, not the protectant. Hibiscuits was better suited to run it, as she has the scale and experience with shipping this sort of thing so she took it over.

I am still unclear as to whether the guys that have been using Sharkhide are using the polish first, then applying the protectant and would be very grateful for the clarification.

DO NOT USE BRASSO. It is too harsh and will leave swirls so you won't get the mirror finish.

Absolutely right, to be done right you first polish with sharkhide polish then apply sharkhide protectant. However the sharkhide protectant will not stop tarnishing from skin contact as far as I know. It's more intended to protect from the elements and weather

Torqueguy

Supplier's Manufacturer - Offline
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2011
Central Virginia
I worked in a lighting store when I was a kid (North Bergen NJ!). The process is simple. Buff the brass, then you have to clean it with laquer thinner to remove all traces of oil, wax, buffing rouge etc. we would heat up the brass with a hair dryer and spray with clear laquer. In effect you seal out the air which is what causes oxydation. The heat was to help the laquer dry quickly. Spray in short bursts from 12" away so you don't get runs.

This was 35 years ago and now, we have polyurethane which is more durable and less likely to chip like laquer does.

Regards
Mz

No worries Capt., I will only apply it to the external areas of my tubes. And once a clear coat cures I don't think there will be any danger what so ever. I will definitely be cautious and do my homework though :thumb:

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
I would be very careful when it comes to non-tarnish lacquers. Though they are nice in the short run, they are bad on the long run. Problem with the lacquer is that it protects for a few years but after a while it will also tarnish and begin to peel off and its almost impossible to remove with out some heavy buffing and ruining the thickness of the parts.

Fine antique collectors and dealers HATE the brass protectants and they end up ruining some really expensive rare pieces. Its a pain to keep brass shiny and beautiful , but its worth the extra work. It is done to sterling silver and its also bad in the long run.

I thought Id let you know as a GG product is meant to last a lifetime.

RiverNut

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2012
Texas
A big thank you for all suggestions! I'm going to try the Sharkhide first as its relatively inexpensive and appears to have good longevity. According to the website lacquer thinner and a stiff brush will remove it if I end up not liking it.
Or maybe I should try the polyurethane at the same time so that I can compare the two...yep that's what I'll do. Each of my tubes will get a different product applied so I can test the longevity and feel of each.
Ana I understand your long run concern but I believe we are removing material every time we polish too..which for me is more than once a week :(

dspin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2010
USA
A big thank you for all suggestions! I'm going to try the Sharkhide first as its relatively inexpensive and appears to have good longevity. According to the website lacquer thinner and a stiff brush will remove it if I end up not liking it.
Or maybe I should try the polyurethane at the same time so that I can compare the two...yep that's what I'll do. Each of my tubes will get a different product applied so I can test the longevity and feel of each.
Ana I understand your long run concern but I believe we are removing material every time we polish too..which for me is more than once a week :(

Sharkhide metal polish AND nothing else. Brass needs polished frequently and thats how it is, including all connections and button.

dspin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2010
USA
SHARKHIDE METAL/ALUMINUM POLISH

023a.jpg

002.jpg

003c.jpg

024.jpg

Status