Temperature Control Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a reuleaux RX200S & im trying to learn how to use temperature control. I have a dual fused clapton (26g TSS 316L / 36g TSS 316L) build @ 0.13 ohms. No matter what setting i put it on it says "Temp protection" when i try to fire it up. I cant produce much vapor at all. I had a very hard time trying to make sure my coils lit evenly after a fresh build. Can someone tell me what settings i should use? or what i am doing wrong? Thank you in advance!

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2016
8 Mile + 2.5
Put it in TC SS mode. The 'temp protection' message means it is doing what it is supposed to do. What watts/temp did you set it at? What firmware version are you using?

I have a boreas on mine, dual coil 26ga simple micro coil build 11 wraps around 3mm coil master bit @ 0.36 ohms using rayon set at 45w/500f with latest firmware 4.13. Big clouds and great flavor.

Put it in TC SS mode. The 'temp protection' message means it is doing what it is supposed to do. What watts/temp did you set it at? What firmware version are you using?

I have a boreas on mine, dual coil 26ga simple micro coil build 11 wraps around 3mm coil master bit @ 0.36 ohms using rayon set at 45w/500f with latest firmware 4.13. Big clouds and great flavor.

I had it set at 430F @ 80-85w. as far as the firmware i dont know. i dont even know how to update it or check it on this device. Ill have to google this.

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2016
8 Mile + 2.5
I had it set at 430F @ 80-85w. as far as the firmware i dont know. i dont even know how to update it or check it on this device. Ill have to google this.
Wismec TC Software for Upgrading Reuleaux RX200S - Wismec Electronics Co.,Ltd

The firmware won't make much of a difference most likely but I would start by increasing temp first and possibly lowering the wattage. I have a .11ohm build on my billow v3 plus / istick200 in VW mode running at 72w and it puts out huge clouds. I run rayon wicks in all my builds but that shouldn't matter for your issues.

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
I've had nothing but trouble with SS and TC on my mods, so I started reading up on it.. turns out that SS, while it should do TC (on paper), in reality, it really doesn't work that great, depending on the type of SS you use. I stocked up on 316L as at first, it was the "good" type, only to find that most are having terrible issues with it, and that they have better results with the 420 (if I remember right) type.

But since SS works fine in Watt mode, I'll just be using it that way.

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
@s0uthstar when using my RX200S with a .5Ω SS316L coil 430F is a bit too low and unless you are taking very quick pulls it will get to hot too fast. I have it around the 500F setting which believe it or not delivers a cool vape with a Pangu tank. It has an extremely large air flow which I cut down using a vape band.

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
I've had nothing but trouble with SS and TC on my mods, so I started reading up on it.. turns out that SS, while it should do TC (on paper), in reality, it really doesn't work that great, depending on the type of SS you use. I stocked up on 316L as at first, it was the "good" type, only to find that most are having terrible issues with it, and that they have better results with the 420 (if I remember right) type.

But since SS works fine in Watt mode, I'll just be using it that way.
Ss316l works just fine, both on my DNA200 and Joyetech/Wismec/Eleaf mods. Special care needs to be taken to make sure that all the connections are secure.

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
Ss316l works just fine, both on my DNA200 and Joyetech/Wismec/Eleaf mods. Special care needs to be taken to make sure that all the connections are secure.

From what I can see, it could be the source of the wire that makes a difference, but there's dozens of sites/threads/discussion that I've found that a LOT of people have the exact same issues, where, yes, SS does do TC, BUT it spikes in an unbalanced way and isn't as stable as NI200 is. Even TI has issues.

I've been building TC coils for over a year with NI without any issues at all, I found that TI didn't work well and gave me a much more pronounced metallic taste so I stopped trying, got my hopes up with SS, got a few spools, and been trying several times with it and every time, it behaves weirdly, like an instant burn and playing with wattage, it's like too low wattage and nothing, a few clicks up and bam, too much again and the vape is very nasty with an acrid taste. Using it in normal wattage mode, no problem though.

And yes, I didn't just use the basic SS setting on my mods, I've only tested using the programmable TRC tables, with 316l at the recommended 88 (up to 94).

And this is on various tanks, so not just due to one that might be "off" for the connection, and also tried two gauges of wire, with the same results.

Again, I spent a few days researching it, and found that this is a very common issue for a lot of people.

mightymen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Nov 22, 2012
    No you can't
    Don't have the same device as you. Though have gotten that problem frequently - found out for me the coil touches the metal somewhere in the tank thus giving a short. Opening the tank up and moving coil out of reach of metal parts cures the problem for me. The small the Dia wire used the more frequently it happens.

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 10, 2016
    Ottawa area, Canada
    Don't have the same device as you. Though have gotten that problem frequently - found out for me the coil touches the metal somewhere in the tank thus giving a short. Opening the tank up and moving coil out of reach of metal parts cures the problem for me. The small the Dia wire used the more frequently it happens.

If your mod is not given you a "short" message but "temp. control" instead when your coil is touching the walls, I'd be puzzled/worried.

mightymen

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Nov 22, 2012
    No you can't
    If your mod is not given you a "short" message but "temp. control" instead when your coil is touching the walls, I'd be puzzled/worried.

Been doing it for along time. Why it does not say short have no idea. It happens on my two Evic mini, two SYM 60 mini and one clone DNA none have ever said short - obvious 4 me it is the tank and not the my devices. Last time it happened was two days ago. It was only a suggestion - possibility not a claim that it would fix it.

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 10, 2016
    Ottawa area, Canada
    Been doing it for along time. Why it does not say short have no idea. It happens on my two Evic mini, two SYM 60 mini and one clone DNA none have ever said short - obvious 4 me it is the tank and not the my devices. Last time it happened was two days ago. It was only a suggestion - possibility not a claim that it would fix it.

Just trying to think about the "why"...

Maybe if it's the negative side of the coil that's touching, that might be possible. So wouldn't be giving a short per say, but throw things out of whack.. hmmm... something that i might be able to test with my RTAs..

Would depend on the Ohm rating of the coil, it would need to be high enough to not break the limitation of the mod's range.

When this happens to you, what's the Ohm reading of the coil, before and after you fix it? Do you see any changes?

mightymen

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Nov 22, 2012
    No you can't
    Just trying to think about the "why"...

Maybe if it's the negative side of the coil that's touching, that might be possible. So wouldn't be giving a short per say, but throw things out of whack.. hmmm... something that i might be able to test with my RTAs..

Would depend on the Ohm rating of the coil, it would need to be high enough to not break the limitation of the mod's range.

It only stated happening when I picked up my first Bellus when they 1st came out.

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 10, 2016
    Ottawa area, Canada
    It only stated happening when I picked up my first Bellus when they 1st came out.

ok.. possibly an insulation problem with one of the posts? So as you re-adjust your coil, you push it in a way that it balances it?

If you have a tester (meter) and know how to do it, I'd almost suggest that you test the tank out for a short/bad contact.

mightymen

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Nov 22, 2012
    No you can't
    ok.. possibly an insulation problem with one of the posts? So as you re-adjust your coil, you push it in a way that it balances it?

If you have a tester (meter) and know how to do it, I'd almost suggest that you test the tank out for a short/bad contact.

Done it along time ago. The thing is it happens while am vaping not when I start to vape. I learned to live doesn't worry me.

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 10, 2016
    Ottawa area, Canada
    Done it along time ago. The thing is it happens while am vaping not when I start to vape. I learned to live doesn't worry me.

Just looked at the Belus.. and yeah, lots of metal that could do contact with this tank due to it's design.

My only suggestion would be to try packing a bit of cotton on the edges to keep it away from the walls as you build if you haven't tried it already. I tend to build my RTAs in vertical when possible, a serious pain, but well worth it I find, and it's packing the cotton right that's the challenge.

KenD

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 20, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    kennetgranholm.com
    From what I can see, it could be the source of the wire that makes a difference, but there's dozens of sites/threads/discussion that I've found that a LOT of people have the exact same issues, where, yes, SS does do TC, BUT it spikes in an unbalanced way and isn't as stable as NI200 is. Even TI has issues.

I've been building TC coils for over a year with NI without any issues at all, I found that TI didn't work well and gave me a much more pronounced metallic taste so I stopped trying, got my hopes up with SS, got a few spools, and been trying several times with it and every time, it behaves weirdly, like an instant burn and playing with wattage, it's like too low wattage and nothing, a few clicks up and bam, too much again and the vape is very nasty with an acrid taste. Using it in normal wattage mode, no problem though.

And yes, I didn't just use the basic SS setting on my mods, I've only tested using the programmable TRC tables, with 316l at the recommended 88 (up to 94).

And this is on various tanks, so not just due to one that might be "off" for the connection, and also tried two gauges of wire, with the same results.

Again, I spent a few days researching it, and found that this is a very common issue for a lot of people.
    Sure, ni200 has a much higher tcr so it'll be easier to tc, and plenty of people have trouble with tc with ss316l. However, many others do not so tc with ss316l is definitely not impossible. When building a coil I make sure to pulse out any hotspots and after that I rarely have any trouble.

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 10, 2016
    Ottawa area, Canada
    Sure, ni200 has a much higher tcr so it'll be easier to tc, and plenty of people have trouble with tc with ss316l. However, many others do not so tc with ss316l is definitely not impossible. When building a coil I make sure to pulse out any hotspots and after that I rarely have any trouble.

Considering that a LOT of people do have trouble with it, and out of those, I'd be willing to believe that most do know how to do coils properly (and have been for years) and know to check for hot spots, etc. I'm willing to state that it could be a bunch of factors that comes into play.

It's great that you might have the right combination that allows it to work for you, but this doesn't appear to be the case for a LOT of people. I would love to get it to work right too but compared to with NI200 where as long as you space your coil properly, it'll work no problem, SS appears to have particularities. Doesn't mean that I've given up on it, just very annoyed that it's being this problematic.

So for the OP, if he happens to be one of those, he should be aware that he's not the only one.. nothing more.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread