Protege review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Texas

ECF Veteran
Jul 16, 2009
The Great Nation of Texas
I purchased a Protege and thought I had the best e-cig you can buy for a couple of weeks then the switch went bad....

They said send it back we will fix it and they did.... is this what I spent my money on ??? Send it back to be fixed.

I ordered a 510 adapter and it did not work, they said no problem,,, send it back we will fix it !!!
I sent it back and it don't work.

I ordered 2 mechanical swithches, just in case the new one they put in does not work..... guess what,, the new switch worked for about 3 weeks and the new ones I ordered do not work.

Everybody talks bad about the chinnese .... but at least you know you are paying low price for low quality not HIGH PRICE for low PS quality

Wafflestomper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2010
Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
That's unfortunate, I've had nothing but good things to say about my Protege and V2. I've only had them for a month, and so far they've undergone abuse that shouldn't be wished upon any mod.

I was surprised to see how expensive some of these mods are, but considering what some mainstream companies are charging for absolute trash, I am more than happy, and my V2 has already paid for itself.

I would like a more sturdy feeling button, and I know some have had problems, but mine is still working like a charm.

As to how customer service works regarding a return, I haven't had to experience that yet and hope I never have to.

If anyone is considering throwing away thier V1's in the future, I'd be happy to take them off your hands.

wgm

ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2009
SW Florida
Yes, their products look elegant but I think it's more a problem of poor design. A simple mechanical switch shouldn't require the customer to constantly fiddle with it to get it to work. I don't mind paying a premium price for a quality product, but I don't expect to be their R&D department in the process. And whoever cuts the threads on their tubes and adapters needs to go back to shop class.

Rant off...

Will

catlvr

ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2009
Kern County California
Wow. I've got them all. The passthrough, Prodigy V1 and V2 and a Protege. I guess I lucked out because I haven't had ANY problems with any of them. All switches have worked perfectly right from the get go and I just love the well thats there to catch the sometimes leaking juice. I haven't had to deal with customer service reguarding a return yet but from what I've heard it's great. I give them two thumbs up!!:thumbs:

doots

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2009
safe-list.com
I have a V1 I love and no problems..

I have purchased 2 V2s and had some problem with the adapter which puresmoker replaced. Then it worked fine

I had a few issues at first with the switch but seemed to be worked out the more I used it.. I guess break in.. Most of the time works well..

Vape is awesome on both devices.

Service is good from the limited exposure I had with them.. Very willing to help you when you ask.

thats my 2c

posterda

Jan 21, 2010
Rochester NY
Thats so weird? I have a V2 and love it! I have had it around 4 weeks and there have been no problems and it has been through some serious abuse (accidentally of course) including dropping it in water, on pavement, and on a tile floor. Still looks and works like new. 5v is my favorite level ... it gives the strong hit I need in the morning to get going and slightly fades to a sweet sopt in the 4.- V range that I love to vape on all day long. I also get really good battery life. Hmmm i wonder if you got a lemon?

boochips

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2009
Marianna, Florida
If he got a lemon then so did I and so did my sister. My Prodigy V1 worked for about 8 weeks and then the switch went on it. Had to mail the whole unit in for repair. Got it back and it worked for a whole hour. Sent it back again. Got it back and it worked for 1 day and almost caught fire, burned my hand and my batteries. I emailed PS and told them I was NOT mailing it back again and just going to call it a total loss. A few days later I got another switch in the mail which does work but I rarely use it. I just save it for back up. I also bought a 510 adapter that did not work. They sent me another one and guess what? It doesn't work either. 8-o So, $140 for original kit, $12.95 for 510 adapter and money to mail it in twice and months of total frustration.
My sister paid $114 for one of the second batch Proteges (I had a first batch one and sold it to a friend) used it a few times before the switch stuck and burned her hand and her desk. She was afraid to use it after that and was going to throw it away but I told her I would send it to PS get a new switch and sell it for her. Got it back with the new switch and a note saying my sister was tightening the atty too much. :confused: Like an idiot I put it up for sale without trying out the new switch. Well by now you can probably guess what happened. The person who bought it from me got it and the switch didn't work!

Well....that was MY .02 cents......

Every mod that ps puts out has switch problems...i'm beginning to think that maybe they make more money selling switches than they do from the mods.

I can't understand why people are willing to buy a mod that they have to keep sending back for repair and buying extra switches and constantly having to mess around with a switch to get it to work when there are several mods available that work like they should with no messing around and knowing that it will keep on working.

boochips

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2009
Marianna, Florida
Every mod that ps puts out has switch problems...i'm beginning to think that maybe they make more money selling switches than they do from the mods.

I can't understand why people are willing to buy a mod that they have to keep sending back for repair and buying extra switches and constantly having to mess around with a switch to get it to work when there are several mods available that work like they should with no messing around and knowing that it will keep on working.
Couldn't have said it better myself....and the WORKING mods are cheaper...

Lightgeoduck

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2009
jp(APO)Camp Z us
Wierd.. had my protege for 3 months havent had one single problem. I blame user error.

when I had mine with original tac switch I didn't have "problems" either I also had bought the mech switch with no "problems" but had to do a little twist and cut to make it the way it had to be.... the USB extenstion needed brain power to make it work like it should...... granted I am sure models came out with no issues.... and I definately would ignore the possibility of USER error... but this is the thing... that I have been seeing... that first run batches seemed to have more issues than later ran batches..... so was it up to us as the consumer to find all the kinks for it to be worked out at on later batches?

I am not knocking the business since I know he is proactive with his customer base.... I also wouldn't try to sway someone to not buy the device......

I would say it's crazy to just dismiss it as user error.... some aren't mechanicly inclined to fidget with a device to make it work so they are forced to send it back..... also is it not fair for EVERYONE to expect for a device paid for to work right out the box? I mean shoot I have had lower priced devices work from the get go (now how long they last thats another story)

granted there are sometimes unrealistic expectations... but you gotta think there are some understandable expectations non-the-less

So if you love the PS products and swear by them.. more power to you there is definately nothing wrong with that......but it isn't unreasonable to look at the otherside of the coin as well......

2cents from a registered consumer :p

I am not a Duck

just-cass

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 28, 2009
ireland
pinkvaper.com
Wierd.. had my protege for 3 months havent had one single problem. I blame user error.

how would you explain user error in this please

i received my switch fresh from ps Dead on arrival...i got another in the post which didnt fit the tube(the housing was the wrong size) and the switch sticks so when i depress it it stays on and i have to unscrew the adaptor to stop it from burning my hand...

how is this user error?

Can you please explain your post and elaborate on WHY you think it is user error and helpful ways to avoid such user errors?

that post is non informative and of no help to anyone reading it.

boochips

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2009
Marianna, Florida
Funny I haven't had any user error issues with my 3 other mods and my sister has not had any user error issues with the mod she now uses...hhmmmm
Maybe we have no more user errors because we have PVs that actually work now?

wgm

ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2009
SW Florida
Funny I haven't had any user error issues with my 3 other mods and my sister has not had any user error issues with the mod she now uses...hhmmmm
Maybe we have no more user errors because we have PVs that actually work now?

You go, girl! I guess some of us weren't fortunate enough to get working units. Count me in as another ex-customer who has given up on his mechanical switch, mainly because I wasn't in the market for another hobby. There are now quite a few PV's from other vendors that do the job beautifully right out of the box.

Will

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread