ProVape Reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

brawas

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2014
GTA, Canada
Here's my honest review of the Provari based on my experience with it for about a month now...

I love my gadgets, and I always like to use the best. After reading several reviews and threads on ECF, it seemed pretty clear that Provari is the best on the market. I sat on the fence for a while, but eventually gave in and purchased one. Build quality is great, vapor production is good and consistent. However, I started to realize some disappointing things about it.

1. Packaging. Not a huge deal, but for such a premium product, I thought it would have a nice box rather than just wrapped in bubble wrap.

2. Premature low battery warnings. Using the Provari for the first couple of days, battery life was outstanding. But then it started giving a low battery warning very early (within the first hour of use). I contacted Provape, and got a prompt courteous response with suggestions (clean connectors, clean threads, apply Noalox to threads, stretch spring, etc). Ok, so I followed these maintenance steps, and this is where the disappointment started. I thought to myself, I hear so much about Provari being so solid, such outstanding build quality and engineering, etc. Why then is this low battery issue so common? Why do we need to do so much pampering to the device to get a good connection? Yes the build quality is great, it's solid, built like a tank. But you would think that a stronger spring could be used. That the electronics could be mounted solidly enough to handle a stronger spring without fear of pushing things out of place. For such a premium product, I should not have to do so much maintenance to ensure it works properly. I understand that maintenance of any product will ensure you get the most life out of your product, and I agree with that. But a good, solid product, should not need so much maintenance to work properly, it should work properly and handle some neglect maintenance wise. For example, user A, doesn't clean his product, doesn't maintain it, but it worked for him for a good year or 2. User B, does regular weekly maintenance, and it lasts him a lifetime. That's acceptable, but what isn't acceptable in my opinion is either user getting malfunctions within the first week of use. In short, what I'm saying here, is that maintenance should be something you would optionally do to get longevity out of your product. It should not be mandatory in order for the product to work properly. The product should work properly without maintenance, and last longer with maintenance.

Nonetheless, I followed these weekly maintenance tips. It got better for a while, and I started getting the premature low battery warning again. So I did the maintenance more regularly. I didn't expect to have to do so much, so often, for such a high quality product. Eventually, I accidentally popped the spring out of my extended end cap. This brings me to issue number 3, customer service.

3. Customer service. I hear so much about Provape's outstanding customer service. I even experienced pretty good service, until I needed something. I asked for help with my damaged spring (I mangled it trying to get it back in). My bad, I get it, however, it would have never got pulled out, if it was engineered in a way that didn't require pulling on it (per their suggestion) to get it to make good contact. So I expressed my concern, being in Canada, that I can't justify paying $30+ shipping on a $2 part. I asked if they could just send me a spring in an envelope. The response I got, was pretty much "sorry we don't do that".

Here's what I expected based on all the rave reviews:

Build quality

Expectation:
Just use it, and don't worry about it. Even if you abuse it, it'll handle it. Clean juice build up on top post when it once in a while.

Reality:
Clean regularly, not just the top, but the connectors inside, the threads, apply Noalox to the threads, stretch the spring. Do this weekly or more, or you get premature low battery warnings and possibly other malfunctions.

Customer Service

Expectation: Oh you damaged your spring? Sorry about that, we're aware of some of our users are having connection problems with our springs, we'll send you out a complimentary replacement.

Reality: Well we can send you out a spring, but unfortunately you will have to pay $30 shipping. I know that's not what you wanted to hear, but sorry we don't send anything out in envelopes. Alternatively, you could buy a new end cap altogether? Or you could send us yours, and we'll put the spring in for you (this of course would incur double the shipping costs for you).

Overall, I didn't know of other high end mods when I ordered the Provari. I was aware of the Darwin, and really liked the fact that it had VW, and a very informative screen. But I didn't like it's design. I wasn't aware of the Futura. Knowing what I know now, based on my experience with the Provari, and Provari customer service, if I were buying a high end mod, I'd probably buy a Futura.

VAscooter

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 23, 2014
Springfield, MO
I had been smoking for 41 years and been vaping for 4. Started out with the "Green" E cig that lasted a couple of days. I found an online supplier that sold Ego type units and juice. I moved up to a model with a plastic tank and used a passthrough at work. All while still puffing away on analogs. My reason for moving to e cigs was to get off of analogs but for some reason couldn't make it happen. I was getting pretty tired of my current e cig and happened to go the DC Vapefest a couple of weeks ago. I had researched different models and had decided I was going to take the plunge and buy a Provari if I could find one.

Low and behold, the supplier there had a full sized purple one and the mini in brushed silver. So I bought the mini but they didn't have a silver extender cap which I wanted so I could use the bigger battery. Bought a red one. I picked up a ProTank 2 while there as well as about 6 bottles of juices. On the way out ran into a lady with a MVP2. Picked it up too.

I got home, put a battery in, tank with juice on it and started vaping. Immediately I was impressed with how much better the vaping experience was compared to what I had been doing. Long story short, I ordered another Provari online the next day and now have a full size and the mini. Now have an Aspire Nautilus and IBT. It will be 2 weeks tomorrow and I haven't touched or wanted to smoke an analog. I don't attribute my quitting to the Provari but sure do think by having a good piece of equipment as well as better tanks it has definitely helped me with a 40 year habit.

After 2 weeks, the MVP 2 has been used twice. I only use the Provari's and can't be happier. I love the ability to adjust the wattage based on the tank I'm using, love the battery life, and the quality is really good. I'm not as experienced as a lot of people on the site with VW mods but as long as the Provari holds up, which I have no doubt will, I will probably buy another if and when a new model comes out.

p.opus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Coral Springs FL
This isn't a review per se.. But instead an act of an extremely foolish individual who couldn't help but wonder what if.....

I'd like to thank ALL the fine people of ProVape for designing such a high quality and durable product and not making me look any more foolish in front of my peers.

Yes...What I did in the linked thread below voided my warranty. I get it. But it bought me tremendous piece of mind....

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...4-provari-challenge-just-how-stupid-am-i.html

Woody_

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 23, 2014
Croatia
Here's my honest review of the Provari based on my experience with it for about a month now...

I love my gadgets, and I always like to use the best. After reading several reviews and threads on ECF, it seemed pretty clear that Provari is the best on the market. I sat on the fence for a while, but eventually gave in and purchased one. Build quality is great, vapor production is good and consistent. However, I started to realize some disappointing things about it.

1. Packaging. Not a huge deal, but for such a premium product, I thought it would have a nice box rather than just wrapped in bubble wrap.

2. Premature low battery warnings. Using the Provari for the first couple of days, battery life was outstanding. But then it started giving a low battery warning very early (within the first hour of use). I contacted Provape, and got a prompt courteous response with suggestions (clean connectors, clean threads, apply Noalox to threads, stretch spring, etc). Ok, so I followed these maintenance steps, and this is where the disappointment started. I thought to myself, I hear so much about Provari being so solid, such outstanding build quality and engineering, etc. Why then is this low battery issue so common? Why do we need to do so much pampering to the device to get a good connection? Yes the build quality is great, it's solid, built like a tank. But you would think that a stronger spring could be used. That the electronics could be mounted solidly enough to handle a stronger spring without fear of pushing things out of place. For such a premium product, I should not have to do so much maintenance to ensure it works properly. I understand that maintenance of any product will ensure you get the most life out of your product, and I agree with that. But a good, solid product, should not need so much maintenance to work properly, it should work properly and handle some neglect maintenance wise. For example, user A, doesn't clean his product, doesn't maintain it, but it worked for him for a good year or 2. User B, does regular weekly maintenance, and it lasts him a lifetime. That's acceptable, but what isn't acceptable in my opinion is either user getting malfunctions within the first week of use. In short, what I'm saying here, is that maintenance should be something you would optionally do to get longevity out of your product. It should not be mandatory in order for the product to work properly. The product should work properly without maintenance, and last longer with maintenance.

Nonetheless, I followed these weekly maintenance tips. It got better for a while, and I started getting the premature low battery warning again. So I did the maintenance more regularly. I didn't expect to have to do so much, so often, for such a high quality product. Eventually, I accidentally popped the spring out of my extended end cap. This brings me to issue number 3, customer service.

3. Customer service. I hear so much about Provape's outstanding customer service. I even experienced pretty good service, until I needed something. I asked for help with my damaged spring (I mangled it trying to get it back in). My bad, I get it, however, it would have never got pulled out, if it was engineered in a way that didn't require pulling on it (per their suggestion) to get it to make good contact. So I expressed my concern, being in Canada, that I can't justify paying $30+ shipping on a $2 part. I asked if they could just send me a spring in an envelope. The response I got, was pretty much "sorry we don't do that".

Here's what I expected based on all the rave reviews:

Build quality

Expectation:
Just use it, and don't worry about it. Even if you abuse it, it'll handle it. Clean juice build up on top post when it once in a while.

Reality:
Clean regularly, not just the top, but the connectors inside, the threads, apply Noalox to the threads, stretch the spring. Do this weekly or more, or you get premature low battery warnings and possibly other malfunctions.

Customer Service

Expectation: Oh you damaged your spring? Sorry about that, we're aware of some of our users are having connection problems with our springs, we'll send you out a complimentary replacement.

Reality: Well we can send you out a spring, but unfortunately you will have to pay $30 shipping. I know that's not what you wanted to hear, but sorry we don't send anything out in envelopes. Alternatively, you could buy a new end cap altogether? Or you could send us yours, and we'll put the spring in for you (this of course would incur double the shipping costs for you).

Overall, I didn't know of other high end mods when I ordered the Provari. I was aware of the Darwin, and really liked the fact that it had VW, and a very informative screen. But I didn't like it's design. I wasn't aware of the Futura. Knowing what I know now, based on my experience with the Provari, and Provari customer service, if I were buying a high end mod, I'd probably buy a Futura.

It would be nice to hear something about that from ProVape people.

Tinkiegrrl

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2013
New York, NY
I was skeptical about Provari. Figured it was just the "in" name of the day. The mod cashing in on the name alone. After all, I spent $40 on my MVP's and they do variable watts. Why would I spend $200 on a single device that didn't do that? Besides, I just don't have $200 lying around to spend on an ecigarette. Except, when I did. My tax return came in a couple of weeks before my 6 month anniversary of quitting smoking. Considering how close these events came together, I figured I had to get something special to celebrate. However, even then I was reluctant to get a Provari. The set it and forget it aspect of variable wattage completely and utterly spoiled me. I started researching other mods that could do variable wattage, and asking around. As much as I denied any interest in Provari though, the name just. kept. popping. up!

The reputation of this mod is unseen for anything else save for possibly Reo and Hana. As I was mainly interested in a regulated mod, I was leaning towards Hana, but couldn't find any. That is highly annoying. Here I was, ready to drop $200 on a single device, and I can't find it anywhere. A clone just wouldn't have been special, nor would it have arrived on time for my anniversary. Plus, the Hana was another box mod, and I had two. While I appreciate the shape of a box mod (no rolling off tables!) special to me meant different then what I had. Naturally, inevitably, I settled on Provari. I figured if I didn't, I'd always wonder about what one was like. Unfortunately, I'd have to wait longer to find out.

I waited too long to make a decision on what to put in my cart. My husband had other plans for the money in the bank, and his were, indeed, more important then a new mod. Real life struck again! My attempts to get my hands on a Provari were foiled within the span of minutes. I literally had it IN MY CART, when hubby called and put a stop to the whole thing! Arrgh!!! This only heightened my desire for one of course. At first, it was curiosity. It was "I wonder how good a Provari really is?" Now though? Now it was an obsession.

I started looking for things to cut from the budget. I skipped lunch for weeks. I decided that this month, hubby and I will be solely relying on e-juice from our zamplebox, rather then me buying more to supplement it and sending the excess to my sister. I mean, if she can afford cigarettes, she can get her own juice for once, right? When I found that my mother in law forgot to charge her ecig and started smoking real cigs like a steam engine again, I made the decision to stop caring. I tried. I really did with her. I spent gobs of money on others devices and as many versions of Marlboro flavored juice as I could. She was a lost cause, and the expense of finding the right set up for her was now costing me my well deserved "I managed to quit smoking!" present. My precious. Come you know what or high water, I was going to get one and I was going to get one with my regular pay. I knew it was possible. I spend $14 per pack on 3 packs per day here in NYC. The issue was, I was supporting too many other people in THEIR vape gear. I was even tech support. Well, no more! I'm getting my present and I'm dropping these bums all at once! FREEDOM!!!

Ahem. Sorry about that. It's been an interesting 6 months. I really did deserve this Provari. As such, I had to play this smart. My husband has a habit of "borrowing" vape gear that was better then his and then never returning it. That how he got both of his VV v3's. My MVP's were only safe because they were just so slightly too big for his pockets. Otherwise, he would have claimed the black one without issue. In fact, that was still a risk. He had taken to using it in the evenings, after the kids were in bed and he no longer needed to chase one down and prevent them from running head first into the coffee table. Only my pretty, pink, Petal MVP was truly safe. So, I decided I simply had to have a pink Provari. Any other color would mark the mod as his, and this one was MINE. Even a wrap can be removed. I knew Provape made them in pink. I knew they existed. The extender cap was on their site, but were was the mod?!?

I searched high an low for a pink Provari all over the web. Everywhere. Until the images and words on my computer screen started blending together. I searched the classies section here, even though I really wanted a new one. At the end though, keeping it safe from vape gear thieving husbands was my priority, and I would have taken pink any way I could get it. Of course, I just missed a like new, full size Provari there and I knew it would likely be a while before a second popped up. I was in a time crunch. That Provari had to be paid for BEFORE real life stopped me this time. It had to be purchased within hours of my next pay check hitting the account, where the money becomes fair game between my husband and I. Then it struck me. A local vendor had one in their display case! I remembered seeing it months ago. Would they still have it? A phone call later and I was a happy camper. They had two pink Mini's left. One on display, and one more in stock!

Needless to say, whether this thing worked well or not wouldn't have mattered to me when I got my hands on it. After all I've been through for it, I was going to love it no matter what. Great thing is, it fully deserves that love and more. My black MVP is now collecting dust on the kitchen counter. I toss my Kracken on it for builds, as it's convenient for ohm checking, dry burning and provides a base. Otherwise it sees no action. The Mini Provari just feels like it was made for my hand. I even sent my Petal MVP on to that bum sister if mine, who decided to choose this moment to loose her second ego in as many weeks, all she had at that point were a couple last dregs of juice in a couple bottles and her back up cigalikes. As I was feeling magnanimous once my Provari was in my hands, I shipped off an MVP, some clearos that I knew would never see the light of day on my wonderful new PV (they were unworthy), and even some more juice. I also went ahead and bought that pink extension that clued me on to the pink option over at Provape, and an 18490 battery for just in case moments. The mini in its mini from is absolutely perfect, no variable watt function needed.

Last edited:

hotrod351

Dec 24, 2015
mohave valley Arizona
only started vaping month and a half ago. started with the itaste vv v3.0 form local vape shop. when i bought i saw the itaste 134, thought = now thats cool. watched some you tube reviews and finally bought one, then the mini, waist of money there, but when watching the reviews i noticed the provair and the reviews, all A+++++ reviews. well finally found a, what i figured, good deal on them. bought the P3, polished, and after using it for a week and a half i bought the P3 satin finish . now i have to say the satin finish provides a more secure grip, but both work equally as good. now im trying to get rid of the 134 and 134 mini.

JonnyVapΣ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2010
Rochester NY
I've been away for a loong long time. After last night's near-disaster I figured I'd pop on and post an update and additional review.

I finally wore this thing out. Specifically; the button. This poor thing has probably been poked over a million times over the last...um...how many years have I been using this thing? And it's still the only device I use. The small surface mounted momentary switch finally gave out. The switch actually still works but the rubber membrane under the pokey bit finally tore and the pokey bit was no longer aligned, making the button hard to press. Then around 11:30pm last night it was shot. Done. Dead. What to do? People who panic get nothing constructive done. I don't panic. I disassembled my trusty, well abused, ProVari [prototype] and diagnosed the problem. Despite recently moving and having my shop in total disarray I remembered where I put my electronics. I found a 7.4x7.4mm through-hole domed tactile switch. Awesome!...sort of. On the board is a surface mount 6x6mm switch. I have 7.4x7.4 through hole dome switches in a taller profile. Time to get crackin'! De-solder the old switch. Bend the pins under the new switch and trim to length. Re-solder the cobbed up new switch to the board using a too-big-for-the-project Weller soldering iron. I got lucky! It stuck and no collateral damage (and this board is tight!)! Trimmed the actuator button down to clear the taller switch on my garage lathe (chucked it into a high-speed drill and cut it with a sharp razor knife...incidentally, I used to be a machinist....LOL). I made sure to re-polish the button so I could admire my awesome work. Reassembled the unit and no smoke came out! Wooo!! Back in business!

So yep...with a little light maintenance (ha!) this ProVari is still kickin'. I imagine it's going to bring many more years of joy and sustain just as much abuse as it always has. On the plus side I think I like the tactile switch better. The original was spongy feeling with the rubber poker but it has it's purpose. If you're an 800lb gorilla mashing the crap out of it that button will absorb some of that abuse. I'm fine with the light touch. And I'm still fine with this ProVari.

ProVariFix.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread