Provari Batteries?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Saw the post earlier , anyone know where could find some batteries for a provari 18650 button top? made me dig out one of my Provaris

For the Provari you don't need a really high amp rated cell, but you should use a cell that has a high MAH rating and the highest amp rating in that category. High MAH gives you longer vape time, but some cells are really low in amperage ratings. Pick the one that's high in both categories.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Just to be clear, Provaris use unprotected batteries, right?
Yes, un-protected batteries. And button-top and "high drain" (at least 10 amps).

Since the early Provari's had their own protective circuity built into the chip, using a IC protected battery could interfere with the Provari's own circuitry and cause it to not work. Provari's were always pretty particular about the batteries used. Back in the early days of the first Provari's, nearly all protected batteries were ICR (cobalt) chemistry. Provape designed the early Provari's to work with the red "high drain" unprotected AW IMR button-top (mangenese chemistry) battery.

smacuser

Total Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    Yes, un-protected batteries. And button-top and "high drain" (at least 10 amps
    So, is it me or does the second post here look like aftermarket protected batteries that may not be suitable for a Provari?

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    Well, first off, AW button-top batteries just aren't available any longer in any way, shape, or form.

From that list in the link of button top batteries, I would still stick with the major brand and model batteries such as the Samsung 25R 18650 2500mAh 20A - Button Top or Samsung 30Q 18650 3000mAh 15A - Button Top.

Any battery with over 3000 mAh is likely the wrong "chemistry" and not considered "high drain" (higher amp rating of at least 10 amps cdr) according to Battery Mooch. Some of those listed in the link are "protected", which you don't want to use, either.

Last update on: 4/16/2019

"If you are considering purchasing a particular 18650 battery for vaping, just remember that...

• there are none with a true continuous amp rating over 30A.
    • there are a lot of 18650’s rated over 3000mAh but none of them can be rated over 10A and many are rated a lot lower than that.
    • there are none rated at 3000mAh with a true continuous rating over 20A.
    • there is only one with 30 amps with more than 1500 mAh capacity (Samsung 20-S)
    • battery company pulse or "max" amp ratings are useless and can't be used to compare batteries between brands or models."
    --- Battery Mooch

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    I think the Samsungs are best, what seems to be hard is finding the smaller sized batteries

You can shove/fit a protected battery in a provari, (I bought some, was curious) but it was not advisable, and pointed out to me by forum members it was not a great idea.

Man. I had no idea what those suckers were, I was like, "Are these specially wrapped Christmas batteries or something?" So I started peeling off the hefty clear wrap and finding myself peeling off the metal strip before going, "Something is not right here,."

LOL so yeah I suck at protected batteries. Don't do any of the above, and best done by not BUYING them. Etc,

It was early in my vaping career but still somewhat inexcusable.

You know, though they say you only live once. But yeah you can fit one in there but the battery cap will not close all the way.

Get the Samsungs.

Anna

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 17, 2011
    Midworld

NCC

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 14, 2010
    Fla Panhandle, USA
    I'm still using (and buying) my old faves. I get years of use out of them, and the wraps never need to be replaced.

I'm stuck in my ways.

3000mAh 18650 Battery 20A-35A Li-ion 3.7V Button Top Rechargeable High Drain H-IMR - Orbtronic

Yes. I'll pay a bit more (than some others) but for me it it's worth it. 8 years running (not the same exact ones, obviously) and never a blip.
    You haven't had any problem with the length of the Orbtronic cells? The stats say they're 66.5mm, the same length as my Samsung Q30s measure, and the latter is too long to fully close the ProVari 2.5 battery cap. Kinda sucks, since the ProVari is what I bought them for. But I've found other uses for them.

If the Orbtronic cells work for you in a P2.5, I'll add them to my shopping list.

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 17, 2011
    Midworld
    You haven't had any problem with the length of the Orbtronic cells? The stats say they're 66.5mm, the same length as my Samsung Q30s measure, and the latter is too long to fully close the ProVari 2.5 battery cap. Kinda sucks, since the ProVari is what I bought them for. But I've found other uses for them.

If the Orbtronic cells work for you in a P2.5, I'll add them to my shopping list.

No - not at all. Never an issue here. In all the years I've replaced just one spring, even, and that was more by choice than necessity. The most recent batch I got was from January 2019. I don't know if anything's changed since then, but the ones I linked have been steady-as-she-goes (for me).

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2013
    Bordertown of ProVariland and REOville

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2013
    Bordertown of ProVariland and REOville
    It's an honor and a pleasure, E. Always. :)
    Always a pleasure to see you still here DP, and I still have a bunch of AW cells still at storage charge, from when ProVape was closing down with fire sale pricing...gonna toss all my old cells and put them in rotation now, should be solid for a couple more years with all battery sizes with my multitude of ProVari's...

Reactions: stols001
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread