Provari coming, trying to switch from dripping to ??? Tanking ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

sessiondrummer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Jan 22, 2011
    USA
    I'm sure this has been asked millions of times, and did a few searches with some results before posting. Been specifically using my EGO with LR attys for almost 1.5 years, and although I love the TH, vapor production, and FLAVOR the most, I'm trying to move away from dripping, into something new. Have a Provari 1 day away (can't wait), and have all of 5 days experience with a J-Tank, w./ Boge LR cartos. I love love love dripping, just hate the hassle, lugging juice around, AND the constant dripping.

I have had no leaks from the J-Tank, but having zero experience with anything other than attys, noticed that after only 2 days, my carto started to tighten up, and now either needs tossed or cleaned. I know they're inexpensive, and that Boge's have a strong following, but is this par for the course with cartos ? Been hooked on Copper Creek House blend, 24 mg, @ a 50/50 mix so I don't know if that is considered an issue juice or not. Somewhat light when it gets here, but once it steeps, gets a lot darker, so I don't know if this is a factor or not.

Typically I don't like to carry multiple setups, just need one that rocks like dripping, without the hassle, kinda Gas and Go all day. I'm sure everyone has a fav. tank/carto setup, but just looking for some "Maybe try this", or "Stay away from that" thoughts.

If I switched to a lighter juice would this extend the carto life, or 1-2 days is just what you get out of them ?

Thanks for your help.

Ezkill

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 26, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Im kind of new to this so you might get better answers from someone more experienced but I'll answer anyway.

The carto thing. I haven't had a carto go bad after a few days. In fact I haven't had one crap out or tighten up yet. I've been told the initial fill is really important and to use the condom method of filling to get good saturation on the first try. I found this to be more important with really thick 100% VG juices like Boba's Bounty.

Carto's were not a good long term solution for me. I do kind of like the rebuildable Vivi Nova tank. Holds a good amount of juice and and I like the draw/flavor. It's not without it's small problems as you do have to swirl once in a while to get some wicking if you get a dry hit since the wicks are at the top.

I'm hoping the Greek God rebuildable atoimzer tanks will be the holy grail. Many, including some of the well known reviewers on this site say they are. I don't have my Penelope yet but it's shipped so I'll be able to report on it soon. It *SEEMS* like the perfect thing. Rebuildable atomizer. Bottom Fed. Vapes like a beast. Built like a tank and good looking.

elgatoenelsombrero

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 1, 2012
    Gautier, MS
    I've had my provari since may 4th of this year and it was the best decision that I have made in my vaping-adventure. I bought my first tank about 2 weeks after that, it was the baby notta tank sold by stormy vapor cellar and it was a VERY good purchase for 10 bucks, it lasted about a little over a month and the grommets got kinda loose and caused my boge cartos to start flooding due to air getting into the tank.

I just recieved my phiniac tank this past friday and now I know I have my full setup for the rest of my vaping needs, with the stainless steel ming drip tip to top it off, and boy does it look sharp. You cant go wrong with a provari and a tank with a nice drip tip. The only thing I will ever have to buy from now on is cartos and juice, and I'm stocked up with juice from ecblends for several months and the same goes for cartos.

elgatoenelsombrero

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 1, 2012
    Gautier, MS
    In regards to carto life, I've had some that go bad after a day or 2(although not very often) and I"ve had some last me over 2 weeks(again not often) the average for me is around 5 days to week. At $1 per boge carto, that is a very acceptable cost. You have to make sure your hole is big enough to feed the liquid in properly and also make sure your carto is prefilled before inserting it into your tank and filling you tank up with juice.

The juice I vape is 80pg/20vg so I cant say with absolute certainty how big/how many your slots/holes should be in your cartos since you vape 50/50 pg/vg. you'll have to play around with that a bit, or maybe get some advice from someone who vapes the same ratio. The higher the vg, the bigger the hole you need.

jnnfrlsw

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 28, 2009
    East Central Ind
    I use a dualcoil Smoketech tank on my provari. I use 2.0ohm dualcoil cartos in it. I switch out a fresh carto in it every 2 or 3 days. I can go several days longer, but figure if I am going to stay smoke free I will do whatever I need to in order to make sure I have the most enjoyable vape possible. Struggling to keep carto going for days is not something I want to mess with. They are cheap enough to change frequently.

kaptkobe

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 9, 2012
    Louisiana
    I've gotten away from filler cartos all together, all I use is ce2/fluxomizers (occasionally), ce3/Phoenix bottom coil (mostly at work), and at home I tank up with a Vivi nova.

It takes a little getting used to vaping the vivi and fluxos as you have to make sure to tilt so the wick stays wet, however in my experience the flavor is much better and it's easier fill.

Cartos worked ok for me but the hassle of filling the tank and punching cartos wasn't worth it.

As always ymmv and I may be talkin out my south end.

sessiondrummer

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Jan 22, 2011
    USA
    Thanks a lot for the responses guys. Having zero experience with cartos, wasn't sure if this was normal or not, or what tanks work well, especially with VV. I'm hearing more and more about the phiniac. Am going to research all the devices mentioned. Thank you. I'm starting to think however, my juice may play a bigger role in my "issues" than I had thought.

Ezkill

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 26, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Just keep in mind that a standard tank is just that...a standard tank.

The performance difference in standard tanks really comes from how finicky they are to fill and how tightly they hold a carto. Depending on how well they hold a carto they may or may not leak. Some tanks also have other strange and unique down sides(not having lips on the tank caps etc.). However, at the end of the day the standard tanks just feed juice to a carto. That being said I think the Phiniac seems like an excellent choice. Durable and holds a carto with a lot of force. They also look great. However, don't expect an increase in carto performance with a better tank.

Tank systems like the Vivi Nova are not standard tanks. They don't use a cartomizer. The nova has a changeable head and uses wicks at the top of the tank. It's a different vape then you get out of a cartomizer/tank. I happen to like this type of vape and others do as well but it's not for everyone. The nova is super easy to fill and use and holds a substantial amount of juice. You can also change out heads instantly and they have different ohm ranges with 2.8 ohms being the one I like on a variable volt device.

I like the Nova on a Provari for performance and it also looks pretty good. It's cheap enough to try out at an average price of 12 dollars which includes 3 different heads. I like it enough that when I ordered my second Provari I ordered a couple more nova tanks as well.

Just remember a tank that fits a cartomizer won't change your vape. You are still vaping through a cartomizer.

Last edited:

SilentEcho13

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 7, 2010
    New York
    I'll use a DCT tank on mine once in a while, but nothing comes close to dripping for me.

A carto lasts me about 6-7 days before it starts to drop in performance, which then I can just try washing it, or just grabbing a new one.

As long as you keep the top of the carto "topped off" often (6-8 drops, 1-2x+ more times a day depending on your vaping frequency), they'll last longer (and taste better).

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread