Provari first day thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichaelOz

ECF Veteran
Jul 23, 2010
Czech Republic
I'll be writing a more detailed review later. My Provari arrived today, and I've had about 2 hours of vaping time with it. Also worth mentioning my main PV up until now has been a Provape 1, this is a 3.7v device and I'll be offering some comparisons.

Observation 1: Don't expect fancy packaging or a printed instruction manual. I was relieved about this. The instruction manual for the device is located online in .pdf form, and it is comprehensive enough to answer every question you might have. The Provari came bubble wrapped, and the box was solid. Unit arrived in perfect condition.

As with my Provape, I immediately noticed the build quality of the Provari is once again outstanding. It looks durable, but I would still treat it with respect.

It is a bigger unit than the Provape, to my amazement though, not much weight difference. Size feels right for an up to 6v device.

Button seems a little easier to press than the Provape, and you get a red LED on the switch. I might turn off the LED. I don't need visual confirmation I'm taking a puff, not with this type of voltage :)

Ok cosmetics out of the way, lets move on to the important stuff.

LR Bauways : You're going to need to keep your voltage low for these puppies. 3.7v on the Provari is real 3.7v, so it feels stronger than with the Provape. Don't even think about raising the voltage higher, no need to 3.7v is the sweet spot.

LR Cisco 306 : Same thing, lower voltage and you can expect the battery to last you all day.

For both these LR's I tried raising the voltage, but anything above 4.4v's and its too high. You won't blow the atty, but the device warns you on the LED with an E1 message, besides this, the safety kicks in, and saves the atty. I can't say how impressed I am with this.

Regular atties :

Sorry I only have Hello 510s on hand, not my favorite brand of atty.

Tried at 5v. They give amazing vapor and more importantly taste. I know regular resistance Ciscos or Bauways are going to give a near perfect vape at around 5v.

Obviously I need time to determine what is the difference between 5v regulars or 3.7v lr's, but what I can say is I'm getting better flavor at 5v. For this alone it seems worthwhile to get into higher voltages.

Next thing is Dry burning. So I wouldn't use the Provari to dry burn. In my experience, a pass through is the way to go. The Provari has safety features which seem to prevent dry burning. Someone else claimed he can dry burn at 5v. My experience is I CAN"T. I tried, but it kept shutting off.

Its not a huge deal breaker. I'm just saying don't look at it as a 5v dry burner, it isn't. Get a PT for this.

Finally omhs testing, you can use the device to test ohms for your atties, excellent little feature. Works well too.

Overall really happy with my purchase. I would recommend the device to anyone wanting to get into higher voltage.

Have any questions you can ask :) Happy vaping!

MichaelOz

ECF Veteran
Jul 23, 2010
Czech Republic
Day 2:

I really thought I would be using the 3.7v to 5v spectrum of voltage when I bought this device, but I'm noticing some of my low resistance atomizers are performing better at sub 3.7 voltages.

The Provari not only gives you higher voltage, but useful to drop voltage right down to 3.2v.

I'm finding in the morning, lower voltage is actually better, and I can raise the voltage as required during the day.

I am finding though on regular resistance atties, that extra voltage certainly helps bring out the flavor.

Last edited:

MichaelOz

ECF Veteran
Jul 23, 2010
Czech Republic
Day 3

2 more observations.

1. Been vaping a LR Bauway for the last day. On around 3.4v. The battery does not last all day, and actually does not last as long as my Provape. There is however a reason for this, a very good reason, the Provari gives you a consistent voltage from start to finish. Other mods such as the Provape output what they can based on battery rating and life left on the battery. It's the way most mods work. Joye 510's, Ego's , Screwdrivers are a few to mention that do not regulate the voltage. Hence by the time your battery is almost gone you've likely dropped .4 of a volt. Not with the Provari, voltage stays the same. Obviously this means you'll need to recharge it more often. It lasts long enough though. I'm also what you call a chain vaper, so just mentioning this.

2. The voltage regulator will prevent your atty overheating. Infact if you're dripping it seems to stop you taking a hit if you have no juice left on the atomizer! I'm not entirely sure how the electronics handle this, but I've found if you trust the device, and work with the voltage its comfortable with per atty, it delivers a good clean vape. You need to work with it, not against it. If its telling you voltage is slightly too high, then drop the voltage .1v and test again. Eventually when it is happy the result is a good solid vape, without any burnt taste.

I also think that atties will last longer with this device, because it has split second protection per hit. It is extremely sensitive too. If it's not happy with the voltage settings you've inputed for the atty you've loaded (and each atty differs, and continues to change as you use it) the device will warn you. I've found it best to listen to the device.

Vaping Monkey

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Lakewood, CA
www.vapervenue.com
Really looking forward to getting this PV (also looking at the eclipse). Went to a SCVC vapemeet and one of them brought the Provari. Yes I agree the construction is solid as well as the circuitry inside it. My question is though, since I'm a HV vaper, how long will the 3.7 battery last if you're vaping above 5v constantly?

Goldenkobold

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 23, 2010
Florida
Day 2:

I really thought I would be using the 3.7v to 5v spectrum of voltage when I bought this device, but I'm noticing some of my low resistance atomizers are performing better at sub 3.7 voltages.

The Provari not only gives you higher voltage, but useful to drop voltage right down to 3.2v.

I'm finding in the morning, lower voltage is actually better, and I can raise the voltage as required during the day.

I am finding though on regular resistance atties, that extra voltage certainly helps bring out the flavor.

This is the reason I don't need a provape provari (or any vv mod for that matter)...I find my stuff works its magic at 3.7 and below even at the 4.2 fresh off the charger some of my LR carto's get too hot, and certains anything at 1.5....again for me obviously some people like it hotter. Yellowman1972 kind of hit the nail on the head when he said he liked the 3.7 ali'i over the vv ali'i....some of us just don't need 4.5v vaping.

I am better served by getting a similar sized unit that holds a larger battery. That being said I like the provari its a cool little device and for some people I can see where this would really rock.

Stownz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2010
Guthrie, OK
Some people are creatures of habbit, this is for sure. We have been locked into set voltages for a long time now. 3 volts on an ego and most of the joye 510s. Little higher on the Kranger units. 3.7volts on bat mods, or 6 volts or 5 volts on a passthrough.

We do not have to be locked into anything anymore. We can shop multiple manufacturers, and try all kinds of different juices and atomizers/cartomizers. If a supplier screws up, or gets greedy, its nice to have the option to shop someplace else. Provari gives you that freedom.

Its kind of like my Red Bull. Damn, I love my red bull mix. 6ml a day for so long now. Its nice to try other flavors though. I very well could vape it for the rest of my days, and be happy, and wonder why people try so many other flavors.

I could be locked into one atomizer/cartomizer that works wonderful or I could have some variety. Its fun to try all the different combos out there, whats not fun is buying a different PV for every endevor.

MAP tank is loaded with 5ml a Red Bull for work starting monday. 4.2 volts for that (varries depending on ohm of ce2 that shipped--- they all varry)

306 drip tip is what im working right now, as I have the freedom to drip while sitting in front of the computer. 3.6 volts on it because it is 1.6ohm LR.

1 4.0ohm Boge cartomizer loaded with 40 mg/ml West Coast tobaco: for emergencies. I slam it with 6 volts.

3 2.5 ohm SLB cartomizers loaded with East Coast tobaco: for friends and strangers that I meet that want to try. I hit them with 4.5 volts so they do not vomit on me when they realize how hard these things can hit.

MichaelOz

ECF Veteran
Jul 23, 2010
Czech Republic
This is the reason I don't need a provape provari (or any vv mod for that matter)...I find my stuff works its magic at 3.7 and below even at the 4.2 fresh off the charger some of my LR carto's get too hot, and certains anything at 1.5....again for me obviously some people like it hotter. Yellowman1972 kind of hit the nail on the head when he said he liked the 3.7 ali'i over the vv ali'i....some of us just don't need 4.5v vaping.

I am better served by getting a similar sized unit that holds a larger battery. That being said I like the provari its a cool little device and for some people I can see where this would really rock.

What you're saying makes sense, but there is another factor to consider which I have learnt from having used a Provari. And this is, if anything an under marketed feature, which will change the face of vaping, once more devices catch on.

A regular mod will give out as best it can what the battery has remaining, it can't push more than this, but as you use the device the voltage drops. What is nice about the Provari is it regulates the voltage. If you've selected 3.3 volts for your LR, that is what you'll get right to the last hit on that battery charge.

What I found interesting is (imo) true 3.7v is actually a bit too high for LR atties. If you're a dripper, you'll likely have some moments when you forget to drip or perhaps have a system of taking 5-6 hits per drip. What I learnt from a mod that can regulate voltage, that won't fire when there is too little juice in the atty, is that atties stay usable much longer between cleaner with voltage regulation. I typically clean an atty after about 6-8 hours of vaping. On the Provari I was surprised to see that atty go for a few days while still maintaining a clean taste.

Another point to consider which I am still testing is that the longer you use an atty, the lower the resistance gets. Sure this means the effect mentioned above is compounded, but it also means (possibly) that you should get a bit more life out of a regular atty when you can lower the resistance to suit on a VV.

I can say that a mod that regulates voltage tastes better, and you don't get much in the terms of harsh or burnt taste.

I personally think the way forward here is voltage regulation and high drain to maintain consistency though out the battery life. But it is really nice to also be able to tweak the voltage, because it does indeed make a differences to the vape, in terms of th and flavor.

MichaelOz

ECF Veteran
Jul 23, 2010
Czech Republic
I had a small fault on the device, and asked Provape to assist me to troubleshoot the fault. However Provape were kind enough to immediately ship me a new unit.

I have returned my original Provari unit. And my new unit should be arriving any day now.

It is nice to know that a supplier like Provape has your back in case of any issue with the device.

I will continue with this review once the new device arrives.

EDIT: To answer your question Stownz, I am missing the device, and can't wait for the replacement. I especially love the way the Provari regulates voltage. I definitely noticed a much cleaner vape with it.

Last edited:

MichaelOz

ECF Veteran
Jul 23, 2010
Czech Republic
Was it the e 4 error code. It happened to mine and I thought I would have to send it back too. Ended up having to clean the contacts for the battery now its good as new.

Unfortunately not, Mine was throwing e8's. I did try all the basic stuff to fix it, but in the end it needed replacement.

Stonemull

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I think the best thing to do with LR's when you get a provari is put them aside for use on an eGo. It doesn't really like them and there is no real reason to use LR's with this device. I suspect the E8 fault you ended up with is a result of LR use.
Mine throws E2's (overcurrent) on a 1.9Ω atty at as low as 3.5v, this was a ego-T that was the higher of the 2 I have, a 1.5Ω one threw E2 errors at 3.5V every time. I was a little concerned till I put a 2.4Ω atty and it happily drove it at 6.0V (15W). no intention of doing this in real life was purely for testing, I like around 4.5V tops usually and often vape at the bottom of the range, the difference between 3.4V and 3.9V is immense flavour wise.
No longer concerned, just looking for higher resistance attys :) I have some HV ones .. 5.6Ω, too high but useable. I am currently using 2.6Ω clearos but I found a new ego-T atty at 3.2Ω that should get to me tomorrow, looking forward to that.

Some of what the OP is saying about protecting attys is erroneous, it puts out a constant voltage, it will stop if it over currents, thats it. Apart from that it will put a large amount of watts into the right resistance attys. I did a dry burn on a ego B at I think it was 4.5V .. no dull glow, this looked like nice sunset orange in a smoke haze. I did it a few times because it was pretty.

Do your ProVari a favour .. lose the LR's.

as this is a review thread .. its bloody great, I give it 10/10 .. there is nothing I don't like about it. Machining is top notch. It feels military.
Get one if you don't have one. I love it. Love it back .. lose the LR's.

MichaelOz

ECF Veteran
Jul 23, 2010
Czech Republic
I think the best thing to do with LR's when you get a provari is put them aside for use on an eGo. It doesn't really like them and there is no real reason to use LR's with this device. I suspect the E8 fault you ended up with is a result of LR use.
Mine throws E2's (overcurrent) on a 1.9Ω atty at as low as 3.5v, this was a ego-T that was the higher of the 2 I have, a 1.5Ω one threw E2 errors at 3.5V every time. I was a little concerned till I put a 2.4Ω atty and it happily drove it at 6.0V (15W). no intention of doing this in real life was purely for testing, I like around 4.5V tops usually and often vape at the bottom of the range, the difference between 3.4V and 3.9V is immense flavour wise.
No longer concerned, just looking for higher resistance attys :) I have some HV ones .. 5.6Ω, too high but useable. I am currently using 2.6Ω clearos but I found a new ego-T atty at 3.2Ω that should get to me tomorrow, looking forward to that.

Some of what the OP is saying about protecting attys is erroneous, it puts out a constant voltage, it will stop if it over currents, thats it. Apart from that it will put a large amount of watts into the right resistance attys. I did a dry burn on a ego B at I think it was 4.5V .. no dull glow, this looked like nice sunset orange in a smoke haze. I did it a few times because it was pretty.

Do your ProVari a favour .. lose the LR's.

as this is a review thread .. its bloody great, I give it 10/10 .. there is nothing I don't like about it. Machining is top notch. It feels military.
Get one if you don't have one. I love it. Love it back .. lose the LR's.

Wow, thanks for the information. I will indeed take your advice and test out more regular resistance attys.
If you have any more helpful advice please share!

I got my replacement Provari back, and it is vaping well so far. I will vape it for a week before continuing my review.

MichaelOz

ECF Veteran
Jul 23, 2010
Czech Republic
To conclude this post, my Provari replacement has maintained perfect reliability.

I'm now using regular resistance atties with it at 5v, Bauways. Excellent vape, and what I like most about it is, you don't have to work hard sucking to try get a good TH. Very good TH and taste at these higher voltages.

I personally find anything about 5v to be overkill, but that could change with my vaping style in the future.

Provari is a good solid buy and I highly recommend it.

tonyorion

ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2010
Michigan
I have a bunch of PV's from egos/tornado's/rivas (will never buy another self contained unit again. Lost all 3 of my Rivas to switch failure and 6 of the egos to electronic faults) a Screwdriver, Indulgence, original Joye 510 mini (they sit mostly in my drawer and I give some to friends with some pre loaded cartomizers to try out), and a Buzz.

I have tried the Joker AV and will never ever ever deal with this company again because of their bad products, slow slow response time, and bad attitude.

As far as the build quality, design, and features this unit is light years ahead of the anything else out there. The Buzz is not a bad unit but it's like comparing a Chevy to a Benz. Both will get you from point A to point B without any drama.

In all fairness to the Buzz, it also cost a lot less and I got my ProVari when the price was $159. It is starting to creep up there and now $179.

There have been a lot of detailed reviews, but one thing that seems to be overlooked is the huge difference variable voltage makes. The one big advantage of the ProVari is the ability to quickly dial in the optimum voltage by obtaining the best taste from a particular atty/juice combination. Even at 3.7 v, some atty/juices taste better at 4.1. Others taste better at the lower voltage, even if the atty is from the same manufacturer and of the same type.

As far as service is concerned, I had an issue with one of the attys that I ordered (was awaiting a bulk shipment from another supplier, but I was running dangerously low) which died after an hour's use. Sent and email on a Saturday and received an answer on the same day.

Again this was an issue with an atty, not the unit!

No arguments, hassles, or disputes. can honestly say that I have had no issues with any other supplier from TW, Buzz, MyFreedomsmokes, Liberty Flights. Greenhouse1, Eastmall. If there was a problem, they responded quickly and politely.

Compare this to the 6 day FIRST response I had from Vaprlife with the garbage Joker AV for a unit that was DOA. It ended up costing me the price a two Egos 1000 mAh to return the unit (restocking fee, around $40 with postage). Not to mention a really snarky attitude!

JudgeVape

ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2011
D.C./Maryland
The Provari with one of the new Ikenvape 3.5ohm 510s at 5.7-5.8V is a very nice, smooth vape indeed and even juices that I have found to taste burnt at 5V with an SR 510 do not taste burnt with this combination. In fact, one of them (Vaperite's English Toffee) is just friggin' decadent like this.

My only complaints about the Provari (besides also finding it is too finicky with LR atomizers) are:

1. Its weight. I love it at home but it is a bit much to carry around (women have a good advantage here with a purse). It's not very big, just heavyish.
2. Its draw is a bit too airy for me. It's not bad, but I would like to have the option for a tighter draw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread