Provari Mini 18500 Battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
You shouldn't use any protected cell in modern regulated vaping devices.

The Efest is an erroneously labeled re wrap cell of unknown quality, most likely around 10a CDR or less.
The Provari 2.5 mini has a fairly low amp limit 3a - 5a and very good built in protection features.

The selection of 18490 - 18500 button top cells is quite limited, I'd look around at all the recommended / known reputable battery suppliers to see what all is being offered.

As much as I dislike saying it, for an 18490 -18500 cell your best bet probably is the Efest.

Heartsdelight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2015
You shouldn't use any protected cell in modern regulated vaping devices.

The Efest is an erroneously labeled re wrap cell of unknown quality, most likely around 10a CDR or less.
The Provari 2.5 mini has a fairly low amp limit 3a - 5a and very good built in protection features.

The selection of 18490 - 18500 button top cells is quite limited, I'd look around at all the recommended / known reputable battery suppliers to see what all is being offered.

As much as I dislike saying it, for an 18490 -18500 cell your best bet probably is the Efest.
Thank you! I think unfortunately Efest is the the best one. I’ve looked at all the reputable battery suppliers & not many carry button top 18490/500 batteries anymore.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Thank you but I believe the Provari Mini uses button tops.
You are absolutely correct, those flat top MXJO's wouldn't work in a Provari. "Protected" batteries also would not work. Not only would they possibly be too long to fit because of the protection circuit, the protection circuit might interfere with the Provari's circuit board.

I agree the Efests are unfortunately the better choice since AW button top batteries are no longer available. The early Provari's were actually designed to use AW button top batteries. Ironic that both Provape and AW are no longer with us.

Provape-Dead-copy.jpg

Last edited:

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
Yep, button top only in P2.5 & earlier.

Do not resort to spacers, battery magnets or flat top to button top adapters in a Provari.
The increased pressure caused by the extended length will sooner or later push the board & + battery contact up and out of position rendering your device inoperable, permanently.

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
    Liionwholesale.com will weld or solder button tops onto a flat top battery. It's an extra 2 bucks or so I believe. I haven't had them do this for any of the batts I have gotten from them, so I can't honestly say whether it's good or bad.

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    Yep, button top only in P2.5 & earlier.

Do not resort to spacers, battery magnets or flat top to button top adapters in a Provari.
    The increased pressure caused by the extended length will sooner or later push the board & + battery contact up and out of position rendering your device inoperable, permanently.
    Yep. In fact Provape specifically said on their website to not use magnets or spacers to allow the use of flat top batteries; doing so would void the warranty should a customer do so and short out the circuit board.

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    Liionwholesale.com will weld or solder button tops onto a flat top battery. It's an extra 2 bucks or so I believe.
    So the question still remains, what 18500 to choose? None of the big four battery manufacturers make an 18500 battery. All the other brands are re-wrap China companies with questionable and probably inflated specifications. Mooch hasn't really tested 18500 batteries because they are hardly ever used. The one 18500 battery brand that you could trust its specifications...AW...are no longer available.
    DSC_0162__48083.1412724941.JPG

Last edited:

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
    really? That’s really nice. Thanks!
    You bet. Note that you quoted my post before I added more text to it, and you should wait for more input from somebody that have actually had this done.

Reactions: Heartsdelight

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 26, 2012
    Texas
    Liionwholesale.com will weld or solder button tops onto a flat top battery. It's an extra 2 bucks or so I believe.

You're still left with the craptastic selection of 18490 - 18500 cells.

The Provari mini with extension cap only fits 18490- 18500 cells.
    Actually the mini was designed for the use of 18350's and with the extension cap 18490's.

Adding a button top to an 18500 certainly can cause too much pressure against the board & + connection due to base cap spring tension.

Yes, I've bought and attempted to use the aftermarket / post manufacturing added on button top, within a few weeks the pressure proved too great. Both had to be sent in to repair.

Because Bill is no longer doing Provari repairs (possibly temporary closed possibly permanent) I'd be hesitant to take the chance.
    But, that's just me.

Heartsdelight

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 10, 2015

Actually the mini was designed for the use of 18350's and with the extension cap 18490's.

Adding a button top to an 18500 certainly can cause too much pressure against the board & + connection due to base cap spring tension.

Yes, I've bought and attempted to use the aftermarket / post manufacturing added on button top, within a few weeks the pressure proved too great. Both had to be sent in to repair.

Because Bill is no longer doing Provari repairs (possibly temporary closed possibly permanent) I'd be hesitant to take the chance.
    But, that's just me.
    So do you think it’s ok to use the Efest 18500 button tops? I can’t find any 18490 button tops anywhere.

• Optimistic
    Reactions: Baditude

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 26, 2012
    Texas
    Like I said in my first response, as much as I dislike saying it the Efest is probably your best bet.

The device won't draw more than 3a - 5a and has very good protection circuitry, the Efest is likely a 10a CDR cell.

I still occasionally find authentic AW 18490's in obscure places online and leftovers in vape shops from the days they were more popular.
    Even though they are old stock, the few I've found have performed as expected.

But, if you are not very confident in your abilities to detect counterfeit cells and or have a way to 'test' them accurately you'll end up with a buncha junk cells.

Last edited:

Horselady154

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 15, 2013
    United States

But, that's just me.

There were also 3rd party extension caps made by a Greek modder that allowed you to use 18650s. I have two of them; one for each of my provari minis. They were available before Provape started selling their own extension caps. The ones I am talking about are stainless steel and pure quality. Not cheap, either. haha

Reactions: Heartsdelight
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread