Not open for further replies.

Katdarling

I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;)
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Utopia
Which 18650 button top battery would you suggest?

Again thank you everyone for your input & help.

I ordered 1 extender ring from EBay - Provape Parts. And I’m going to order the Orbtronic’s that @DPLongo22 has been using successfully for 7 years.

Hearts, I would also recommend the Orbs (just as DPL did). In fact, that's all I WILL use once my (authie) AWs bite the proverbial dust.

Kongrats on your extension ring, too. I think you'll grow to love the set up! :thumbs:

Heartsdelight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2015
I use 18500 flat tops in my smpl mods and a couple others.I love them, been using them for years.mooch rated a couple a year ago I believe.the one use are bestkaliont not the best name in the battery bizz but are good for my and a lot of other people they've use them inn the fasttech chat forum.I've used a lot of 18500 bats and the best kaliont are the best.I can put 15a on them easy and they don't get warm.who knows might be a watch battery inside the cylinder haha.got to love China.why can you only use nipp top bats in your device?
That’s how Provari designed the P2.5 & older models.

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
I just checked some of the 18650 button top batteries mentioned above. Lengths from the vendor sites.

AW - 65.6mm
Orbtronic - 66.5mm
Liion 30Q - 67.3mm
Efest button top - 69.75mm (Battery Junction)

That Efest measurement is for the protected ones. The unprotected ones for use in a ProVari 2.5 or earlier are showing as 65.69mm, red or purple.

Heartsdelight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2015
Hearts, I would also recommend the Orbs (just as DPL did). In fact, that's all I WILL use once my (authie) AWs bite the proverbial dust.

Kongrats on your extension ring, too. I think you'll grow to love the set up! :thumbs:
Thank you! At 1st I wasn’t sure if the extension ring would fit the Provari Mini which is why I started the thread asking about the 18500 batteries.

Even better battery life now with the 18650 which was my goal. The 18350’s don’t last very long.

• Agree
Reactions: Katdarling

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
why can you only use nipp top bats in your device?
The Provari was one of the first variable voltage regulated mods. The engineers who designed the Provari came up with a design which utilized reverse battery protection. The positive end's nipple fit into a depressed area of the circuit board to initiate electrical connection; a flat top battery was unable to make physical contact with the circuit board, so if the orientation of the battery was wrong the Provari wouldn't fire.

On the right side of the circuit board, notice the cutout or depression for a nipple top battery to make contact. With no nipple on a flat top battery able to make electrical contact with the circuit board, the Provari couldn't be used. I guess electronic reverse battery protection hadn't been invented yet when Provape made their first Provari.

Fia8Xrc.jpg

Last edited:

Heartsdelight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2015
image.jpg
Thank you again @Katdarling for confirming the 2.5/P3 extension fit. They only had the titanium left no satin silver, so it doesn’t blend well but it fits! And thank you @DPLongo22 for your suggestion & link to the Orbtronics 18650 button tops. Got everything in & working great! I’m not changing batteries constantly.

Heartsdelight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2015
Hearts, I like the look! Mixed metals are interesting, and have their place too!

Well done, sweetie, and we are both happy we could be of a tiny bit of help on this part of your (Provi) journey.

ENJOY it!!!!
Thank you both so much! Couldn’t have done it without the both of you helping. Was confusing not knowing what fit with what. Much appreciated!

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
View attachment 821837 Thank you again @Katdarling for confirming the 2.5/P3 extension fit. They only had the titanium left no satin silver, so it doesn’t blend well but it fits! And thank you @DPLongo22 for your suggestion & link to the Orbtronics 18650 button tops. Got everything in & working great! I’m not changing batteries constantly.

I'm glad to see & hear this, and thrilled that it worked out for you!

Regarding the extensions, the Mini is slightly different from the regular SS, so it's tough to match unless you happen to find someone who got theirs with their original Mini purchase. I'm using my one Mini with a variety of mismatched things too (but that's never been an issue with me). I do it intentionally sometimes, just for fun & effect. :cool:

WAY back in the day, it used to be that they created the extension caps WITH the orders, to ensure perfect matches every time. That changed later, and very much so near the very end.

Anyway - the important thing is that you got it working, and NOTHING beats THAT. :thumbs:

Heartsdelight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2015
I'm glad to see & hear this, and thrilled that it worked out for you!

Regarding the extensions, the Mini is slightly different from the regular SS, so it's tough to match unless you happen to find someone who got theirs with their original Mini purchase. I'm using my one Mini with a variety of mismatched things too (but that's never been an issue with me). I do it intentionally sometimes, just for fun & effect. :cool:

WAY back in the day, it used to be that they created the extension caps WITH the orders, to ensure perfect matches every time. That changed later, and very much so near the very end.

Anyway - the important thing is that you got it working, and NOTHING beats THAT. :thumbs:
Yes indeed, the titanium doesn’t look too bad. I could’ve gotten red, robin eggs blue. Was scared to be too adventurous. But it works! Thank you again!

Heartsdelight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2015
I have both the Efest and orbtronics in 18350 and 18650 sizes. I think I bought them in 2011. A few Efest's have failed but 9/12 still work fine. Both brands have been super reliable. You can't go wrong with either of them.
Thanks so much for confirming your experience with those batteries :)

Reactions: Katdarling
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread