Provari Mini 18500 Battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heartsdelight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2015
There were also 3rd party extension caps made by a Greek modder that allowed you to use 18650s. I have two of them; one for each of my provari minis. They were available before Provape started selling their own extension caps. The ones I am talking about are stainless steel and pure quality. Not cheap, either. haha
But I don’t think it’s sold anymore.

Do you know if I buy 2 P2.5 extension rings can I use 18650’s? But then the challenge to find 18650 button top batteries.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Baditude

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
There were also 3rd party extension caps made by a Greek modder that allowed you to use 18650s. I have two of them; one for each of my provari minis. They were available before Provape started selling their own extension caps. The ones I am talking about are stainless steel and pure quality. Not cheap, either. haha
I know what you are talking about. I found that company or similar company for an ECF member about a year or so ago, but although they were still listed on the website, they were indefinitely out of stock. Extension pour Provari

Last edited:

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas

Do you know if I buy 2 P2.5 extension rings can I use 18650’s? But then the challenge to find 18650 button top batteries.

Yes, mini + provape or tatroe extension ring + extended base cap fits 18650's.
mini ~ 18350 + extended base cap = 18490
Mini + extension ring + extended base cap = 18650

Standard size ~ 18490 + either extension ring and standard flat base cap or extended base cap by itself = 18650

At one time Tatroe made extension rings and extended base caps for Provari's, the base caps were designed with a very wide base to provide a large foot print for stability & eliminate/lessen chances of tube failing over when set down.

Last edited:

Horselady154

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2013
United States

I know what you are talking about. I found that company for an ECF member about a year or so ago, but although they were still listed on the website, they were indefinitely out of stock.
I figured that. I thought possibly someone might be selling theirs somewhere. Worth looking...

Reactions: Heartsdelight

Heartsdelight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2015
Yes, mini + provape or tatroe extension ring + extended base cap fits 18650's.
mini ~ 18350 + extended base cap = 18490
Mini + extension ring + extended base cap = 18650

Standard size ~ 18490 + either extension ring and standard flat base cap or extended base cap by itself = 18650
I have the Mini + the extended base cap so all I would need is 1 extension ring right?

• Agree

rosesense

14 years and counting
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 1, 2010
    TN

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 26, 2012
    Texas
    I have the Mini + the extended base cap so all I would need is 1 extension ring right?

I apologize if my previous responses were confusing or poorly worded.

P2.5 Mini, plus an extension ring, plus an extended base cap = able to use 18650's.
    But, that doesn't change the need to use a button top and depending on the length added to the 18650 by the fitment of a button top onto a flat top could possibly still result in too much upward pressure against the board /+ battery contact inside the tube.

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 21, 2015
    Arkansas Ozarks
    For flat top cells...

Flat Top Battery Adapter | SmokTek.com
    Bad idea if you like your Provari and want it to last as long as possible, and, if you didn't notice - " discontinued, not for sale ".
    Just one site... first one that popped up. They are available elsewhere. Don't know why it would cause problems in a Provari. Better than magnets, and better than having a mod that cannot be used as button top 18500s are quickly going the way of the dinosaurs. Just sayin'...

Also just sayin' that a far better solution all around would be to find an 18650 adapter cover... button top 18650s are still readily available.

Heartsdelight

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 10, 2015
    I apologize if my previous responses were confusing or poorly worded.

P2.5 Mini, plus an extension ring, plus an extended base cap = able to use 18650's.
    But, that doesn't change the need to use a button top and depending on the length added to the 18650 by the fitment of a button top onto a flat top could possibly still result in too much upward pressure against the board /+ battery contact inside the tube.
    I did find Samsung 30q’s with a button top. Would that be ok?

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    aw-imr-battery-18490-1100mah-button-top.jpg

This battery (above) is either extremely old stock or a counterfeit. Authentic AW batteries have been unavailable for at least three years since the AW factory in China was destroyed by a flood. It looks nothing like the authentic 18490 battery I posted earlier in this thread (below).

DSC_0162__48083.1412724941.JPG

Last edited:

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 26, 2012
    Texas

Those AW's are extremely old stock or counterfeit.
    The labeling and holographic authenticity sticker was changed from what is shown in that picture 4+ years ago.
    The are literally hundreds of sources still selling fake counterfeit AW's to this day.

AW hasn't produced a single cell since late 2016.

Heartsdelight

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 10, 2015

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 26, 2012
    Texas
    I did find Samsung 30q’s with a button top. Would that be ok?

I'm sorry, What is it you're confused about?

Any cell with an added button top / not made by the manufacturer with a button top to begin with runs the risk of being slightly longer than the cells the Provari were designed to use which can place too much pressure on the inner workings of the ProVari which either rapidly or over time can render your device useless.
    The base cap springs are quite stiff, the further they're depressed the more upward pressure on the pieces that can be moved out of place by this added pressure.

Provape and AW worked closely together, the cell's the P2.5's and earlier were designed around/to exclusively use were AW 18350 & 18490, 1.5 years later AW produced an 18650 button top.

Any cell of the correct chemistry & size with a sufficient CDR to support a minimum of 8a ~ 10a will safely power your ProVari 2.5 mini or standard size.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread