Provari... ouch... questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

babemomlover

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 23, 2012
Ann Arbor, MI
Little background... I've been vaping for over a month (analogue free).

I currently own and am fairly happy with a kGo 1100 mAh battery setup.
I've been using the LR atty from iVape mostly, with some boge LR cartos filled up with some favorites for when I can't drip too often (driving and work and other times)
I also have a smoketech DC tank system from smoketech (SMOK TECH DUAL COILS TANK(DCT)) and I have found that while flavor and vapor production on this are excellent.. it offers next to zero throat hit.

I also have a ego twist that I recently purchased... but the button on this thing got stuck halfway in the battery. While still useable it is very annoying to me. Before this I was planning on waiting another month or 6 weeks to see if I REALLY wanted to take the next step up... but now that this happened the decision snapped in my mind and I really want to purchase the provari ASAP.

Knowing that I like VV and having a feeling I will be into this 'vaping thing' for a while I was looking at purchasing a provari with the 18650 extension cap and a 3.0 ohm HH357 atty for dripping.

I was just worried about the pricetag. All in all about $270 worth of mods.

Main question: is it worth it?
I want giant clouds with a monstrous throat hit.
Am I headed in the right direction?
Would it be worth trying to sell my used kGo to get that extra bit of money and am I looking at the right PV?
Money is only a little bit of an issue, if it is without a doubt worth the pricetag then I would purchase the provari for a nice sturdy PV.

Next question: Is a dripping atty the best choice?
Should I go for some kind of SR carto or a tank?
Does the higher voltage make DCT tanks hit better(throat hit)?

Are there any high quality cartos that work well on a provari?
also is the HH357 one of the better attys for dripping?

TL;DR
Provari? Worth it?
HH357's? Worth it?
If not which atty for dripping?
Throat hit on DCT tanks? Where's it at?

wseyller

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2012
Hendersonville NC
Main question: is it worth it?Absolutely, it is second to none
I want giant clouds with a monstrous throat hit.You can achieve this with a provari
Am I headed in the right direction?It seems many people eventually end up with a provari and have never regretted it.
Would it be worth trying to sell my used kGo to get that extra bit of money and am I looking at the right PV?A new kgo battery is about $17. Not sure what you would get for used or if it is worth selling. It is always good to have a backup or even a backup of a backup. Also you will need at least your kgo or twist to use for when you go out in public somewhere. The provari is heavy, bulky, and too expensive too risk in certain environments.
Money is only a little bit of an issue, if it is without a doubt worth the pricetag then I would purchase the provari for a nice sturdy PV.

Next question: Is a dripping atty the best choice?It's all about preference
Should I go for some kind of SR carto or a tank?I like an SR 3.0ohm carto with my tanks. Again preference
Does the higher voltage make DCT tanks hit better(throat hit)?Yes, if you have nicotine in your liquid. Nicotine is the main reason behind throat, but more wattage will enhance the throat hit from nicotine.

Are there any high quality cartos that work well on a provari?I personally think Boge and Smoketechs work very well.
also is the HH357 one of the better attys for dripping?I don't drip, so I don't know, but I keep hearing that it is one of the best.

I

RIMP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Little background... I've been vaping for over a month (analogue free).

I currently own and am fairly happy with a kGo 1100 mAh battery setup.
I've been using the LR atty from iVape mostly, with some boge LR cartos filled up with some favorites for when I can't drip too often (driving and work and other times)
I also have a smoketech DC tank system from smoketech (SMOK TECH DUAL COILS TANK(DCT)) and I have found that while flavor and vapor production on this are excellent.. it offers next to zero throat hit.

I also have a ego twist that I recently purchased... but the button on this thing got stuck halfway in the battery. While still useable it is very annoying to me. Before this I was planning on waiting another month or 6 weeks to see if I REALLY wanted to take the next step up... but now that this happened the decision snapped in my mind and I really want to purchase the provari ASAP.

Knowing that I like VV and having a feeling I will be into this 'vaping thing' for a while I was looking at purchasing a provari with the 18650 extension cap and a 3.0 ohm HH357 atty for dripping.

I was just worried about the pricetag. All in all about $270 worth of mods.

Main question: is it worth it?
I want giant clouds with a monstrous throat hit.
Am I headed in the right direction?
Would it be worth trying to sell my used kGo to get that extra bit of money and am I looking at the right PV?

Next question: Is a dripping atty the best choice?
Should I go for some kind of SR carto or a tank?
Does the higher voltage make DCT tanks hit better(throat hit)?

Are there any high quality cartos that work well on a provari?
also is the HH357 one of the better attys for dripping?

TL;DR
Provari? Worth it?
HH357's? Worth it?
If not which atty for dripping?

Provari? Worth it? Definitely
HH357's? Worth it? Never tried them
If not which atty for dripping? I don't drip

The Provari is definitely worth the cost to me:) It's a Lexus in vaporizers. If you want to try out vv on the cheaper side I'd recommend a Lavatube. You always need a back up device. I use Boge LR carto's in a Jonboy tank. Set my voltage depending on the juice and ohm of the carto between 3.9v and 4.3v max. Boge carto's are very reliable. The Jonboy tank (see my sig) is the most beautiful no fuss tank there is. It is a lot less hassle then many of the others and he stands behind his products.JonBoy's Lava Tank Rules & Sales Updates : Lavacorps - International Vapers Club I've been doing this for almost 3 yrs and the advances that have been made in vaping are astonishing to say the least. Love my Provari's and the accessories I've chosen.....carto and tank keep me vaping and off cigs:) Best of luck to you;)

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Weyseller covered it pretty well. The Provari can be expensive if you start adding items and upgrades. I bought the base model brushed stainless steel original Provari and two 18650 batteries with an extension cap and it was just a little over $200. I also bought the second year warranty for $24.95 after thinking about it for a while. I don't usually do that, but it's proprietary hardware and I can't fix it myself, as I usually do with Googled parts.

Price is subjective. You can get cheaper variable voltage tube mods, but the Lavatube kit is $99. If it breaks out of warranty, you just buy another one (another $99). If the Provari breaks, you mail it to them and they fix it for a reasonable price. When a new model comes out, they have historically offered low price upgrades. Right now, V1 owners are getting upgraded to V2 for $20 and that includes return shipping.

Yes, it's a big chunk of change, but you are buying a VV tube mod that will deliver exactly the voltage you select, time after time. It's made of machined stainless steel with excellent workmanship. The machining and finish remind me of gunsmith craftsmanship. A Provari could last you for many years. It's definitely not in the throwaway class.

Last edited:

nanovapr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2011
Catatonic State, USA
Yes, as others have said, keep your old ones as spares. It only takes a little bit of mis-planning (oops, did I charge/bring spare battery) to be caught without something, even if only for a little while.

Your old ones are not worth a lot $$$-wise. A new nice VV will make your old ones seem weak, but remember, they were enough to get you to quit smoking.

Charge them up, and leave one in your vehicle, and one at work. Backups won't do any good if you can't get to them.

hairball

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2010
Other Places
Main question: is it worth it? Yes
Am I headed in the right direction? Yes
Would it be worth trying to sell my used kGo to get that extra bit of money and am I looking at the right PV? NEVER...you always need a backup.
Next question: Is a dripping atty the best choice? I'll let someone answer this. I don't like atty's except for dual coil atomizers from COV which aren't a good atty for the ProVari.
Should I go for some kind of SR carto or a tank? Yes...Boge 3ohm so you get full range of the voltage options.
Does the higher voltage make DCT tanks hit better(throat hit)? Don't run a dual coil on the provari...it isn't worth a hoot plus it will throw an error code above 4.2V.
Are there any high quality cartos that work well on a provari? Boge 3ohm
also is the HH357 one of the better attys for dripping? I didn't care for them. Overpriced and always tasted like metal to me..just my opinion of them.

fourtytwo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2012
Toronto
I look at it this way.
How much did you spend on cigs when you were smoking? Take that amount and apply it to vaping hardware and consumables.
I will likely get a Provari sometime but my Lavatube is fine for now.
I think that the right carto, tank, atty, juice combo is a bit more important so I am concentrating on that side of things first.

Cloud Wizard

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 24, 2012
Somewhere in PA on my Ultra Limited
I haven't bought any other hardware since I bought a Provari V2, so I think I've saved money (or at least stopped the credit card hemorrhaging). I already had batteries and charger from my LT so only bought the Satin + 18650 cap (~$180). Is absolutely outstanding with Boge 3.0 cartos, DCT tanks, Stardust V2's (with eGo adapter), just great vaping with anything you throw at it (even using up the old 1.7 Resurrectors I had left over - the wondrous power of VV).

On the atty thing, for dripping I use the Cisco 306@3.0ohm. They have a great deal on 2 attys+1 delrin 306 drip tip. Really a great dripping setup @5.2v

Enjoy

X P3 Flight Engineer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
Moncton, N.B. Canada
Contact the vendor about the button problem with the Twist. That is definitely a manufacturing defect. I'm sure they will replace it.

If not let us know here so others can avoid that vendor.

It will make a great backup or second VV for when the ProVari isn't your first choice for the situation.

Enjoy!

babemomlover

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 23, 2012
Ann Arbor, MI
Weyseller covered it pretty well. The Provari can be expensive if you start adding items and upgrades. I bought the base model brushed stainless steel original Provari and two 18650 batteries with an extension cap and it was just a little over $200. I also bought the second year warranty for $24.95 after thinking about it for a while. I don't usually do that, but it's proprietary hardware and I can't fix it myself, as I usually do with Googled parts.

Price is subjective. You can get cheaper variable voltage tube mods, but the Lavatube kit is $99. If it breaks out of warranty, you just buy another one (another $99). If the Provari breaks, you mail it to them and they fix it for a reasonable price. When a new model comes out, they have historically offered low price upgrades. Right now, V1 owners are getting upgraded to V2 for $20 and that includes return shipping.

Yes, it's a big chunk of change, but you are buying a VV tube mod that will deliver exactly the voltage you select, time after time. It's made of machined stainless steel with excellent workmanship. The machining and finish remind me of gunsmith craftsmanship. A Provari could last you for many years. It's definitely not in the throwaway class.

Has the extra year of warranty been worth it yet for you?
Don't they fix most things if you send it in?

And about the HH357's.. I heard they take up to a week to break in.
but I'm thinking about maybe picking up cisco 306's

It's just right now boge carto's are nowhere near the TH and vapor that I can get from dripping.
Is that just how it works?

JudeD

ECF Veteran
May 2, 2012
PA
I just wanted to say that A.) I had the exact same thing happen with my Twist, but it was because my cat knocked it to the floor. I tried like crazy to work it back out, but no luck. The top half of the button is sticking too far out and the bottom half is too far in. It still works, but like you said, it's annoying. And B.) I just got a Provari Mini on Saturday and I love it. No regrets. Everyone is different with different preferences and needs, but for me, it was worth the money. At first, it felt so heavy, but it only took a few hours to adjust and now I don't even notice the weight.

Good luck with your decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread