ProVari stops working after a few hits

Status
Not open for further replies.

pappajon

Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Carson, CA
I just got a used ProVari! (WOOOOHOOOOOOO:vapor:):headbang:

I noticed when I am taking rips one after the other, SOMETIMES, after about 3-4 long rips, the next one it cuts me off at about 3 seconds.:closedeyes: If i wait a second or try again its okay....

Has Anyone experienced this before?!:confused:

Using an IMR18650
With a 1.4ohm 306 @ 3.7 (can't go any higher or i get an error code, [is this normal?])

I've only had it for a couple of days, but I noticed it usually happens at night? (But it could be coincidental that im taking more hits on hit continuosly because im at home watching tv doing this LOL)

Can it be my battery getting weaker bc its low? or because I am not using the ProVari Battery?

Chancey

Oct 8, 2011
Newark, Ohio
Using low res' attys on your ProVari is not recommended. It is normal to get errors if your voltage is set to high.. 1.4ohm is low resistance. Curious, if you drop volts down to 3.3V, does the same cut-off occur after 3 seconds? Does the cut-off occur when your using standard resistance attys (2.5-3ohm)?
Also, your battery level shouldn't have anything to do with cutting off in mid-draw.. but, I'm still learning myself. Just trying to help. :)

I have a feeling your probs is the atty your using and not ProVari.

Last edited:

pnc81498

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2011
Central NJ
Also picked up a used 1 that was just serviced... mid vape the draw would go cold thought i had a issue, But after a while i noticed it was my finger acting up.. I was sort of holding the button down from the edge and not directly ontop.... payed more attention to the way i push the button and hasn't happened again.

Hope this helps! Hope thats all it is :)

ScottinSoCal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 19, 2010
ProVari Nirvana
As the wire in the carto's coil heats up, the resistance drops. When it cools, it goes back up. If you're using a carto that's borderline too low anyway, there's not much wiggle room.

The advantage of variable voltage is that you don't have to use low resistance anymore. You can go as high as you want, and you'll still get a great hit. There's even a school of thought that a high resistance coil (the length and number of winds determines the resistance - long is higher) provides more surface area, more contact with the juice, and a better overall experience, if you've got the power to drive it. The ProVari has the power.

pappajon

Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Carson, CA
Wow Thank you! I've learned alot in the thread alone.

The 1.5 306 was something I had already I was going to use for my E Power.

I think it is a combination of a LR Atty/Carto and the button "mis-push"...

There's even a school of thought that a high resistance coil (the length and number of winds determines the resistance - long is higher) provides more surface area, more contact with the juice, and a better overall experience, if you've got the power to drive it. The ProVari has the power.
So, if the higher resistance atties/cartos provides more winds around, since it is a larger surface area to "cook" the juice, will it result in more flavor and vapor?

ScottinSoCal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 19, 2010
ProVari Nirvana
So, if the higher resistance atties/cartos provides more winds around, since it is a larger surface area to "cook" the juice, will it result in more flavor and vapor?

I'll be honest and say I personally haven't noticed much difference. I've tried everything from 1.6 ohm to 3.2 ohm and, adjusting for the proper voltage, I get equally good hits from both. But like everything else, it's a completely personal experience.

I can tell the difference between a properly balanced and adjusted home theater surround sound system and one that just got pulled out of a box and connected, but I know people who are equally happy with both. Maybe I'm just not the carto connoisseur that other people are. I do know that the higher resistance does mean longer wire/more winds, and it makes sense that a larger surface area in contact with more juice would give an overall better experience, but I'm not sure my tastebuds can tell the difference the way someone else's can.

Killjoy1

Ω Destroyer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2011
New Hampshire, US
I'll be honest and say I personally haven't noticed much difference. I've tried everything from 1.6 ohm to 3.2 ohm and, adjusting for the proper voltage, I get equally good hits from both. But like everything else, it's a completely personal experience.

QFT. In my experience as well when dialed in to a comparable "hit" there isn't really much difference between high and low resistance. Here's a benefit of using higher ohms, too: With higher resistance you'll be drawing less amps from the battery, so your battery life will be better ;-)

pnc81498

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2011
Central NJ
Also picked up a used 1 that was just serviced... mid vape the draw would go cold thought i had a issue, But after a while i noticed it was my finger acting up.. I was sort of holding the button down from the edge and not directly ontop.... payed more attention to the way i push the button and hasn't happened again.

Hope this helps! Hope thats all it is :)

I think i jinxed myself mine died today on the way to work :( kills me to go back to my Ego after using the Provari. Almost want to just order another while i send it in for repair Just because i know i will have 1 faster.... Even tho i hear nothing but good stuff about turn around time :) today alone is gonna suck.

Bluprints

Mar 31, 2011
Wyoming
I'm not sure if this is the same issue I was having, but it eventually got worse and soon it wouldn't work at all. After pulling the bottom spring up with very little pressure, it began working perfectly. This was directly from the manufacture, so I'm unsure if the bottom springs all start to compress after use or I just got one overly compressed. Always worth a shot at looking. Afterwards the button press was much more sensitive.

Or as stated, it could be over heating protection.

Bdbodger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2011
North Vancouver BC Canada
As the wire in the carto's coil heats up, the resistance drops. When it cools, it goes back up. If you're using a carto that's borderline too low anyway, there's not much wiggle room.

The advantage of variable voltage is that you don't have to use low resistance anymore. You can go as high as you want, and you'll still get a great hit. There's even a school of thought that a high resistance coil (the length and number of winds determines the resistance - long is higher) provides more surface area, more contact with the juice, and a better overall experience, if you've got the power to drive it. The ProVari has the power.

It is also the guage of the wire used that determines resistance as you can see from this link Nichrome Wire I think the most common guage is 36 which is 27.0 ohms/ft

pnc81498

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2011
Central NJ
Following the self help section on provape site fixed my issue it took 3 days of cleaning (each day it improved) but now 3 days after last dry and no issues..... Cotton swap did not do it holding finger on bottom add shake around dry overnight... 3rd time i did it i used 1 of those hand dryers you see in bathrooms where there 2 cheap to buy paper towels to dry it....

theguy01

Verified Member
Aug 15, 2011
Cali
I also can't tell a great deal of difference between the 1.6 to 3ohm atties/cartos/whatever.

The explicitly high voltage devices are another story. For instance, I quite like vaping (typically, I do this with my Tobacco flavors) at 6v on in a HR (5ohm) carto. That's 7.2W. By way of comparison:
That's the same power as a Low Res (~2ohm) carto at ~3.8v, which is OK, but not great (I tend to run them around 4-4.3v).
That's the same amperage (just 1.2amps) as a standard rez (2.8ohm) carto at the lowest voltage the Provari will go, 3.3V, which is, uh, almost not vaping. ;)

If only they made my beloved EMDCCs in like 4 or 5ohms versions! I hate refilling. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread