provari vs full mech pv

Status
Not open for further replies.

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    And for the record, my daughter has been shooting guns and rock climbing since she was 6. Excuse me if I think her mother is mature and capable enough to handle a simple mech mod.

I don't think I would allow my 6 year old great grandson to do Sister Superior (sub ohm vaping)
    Sister_Superior_Rappell.jpg

How a mechanical PV is being used does make a difference.

slappy3139

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 8, 2013
    New Iberia, LA, USA
    I get it, I get it.

You're scared of mechs. They frighten you. I totally understand it. It's not rational, but I understand some people just find things scary.

But from a realistic point of view, what safety does your VV/VW mod have that a mech with kick lacks? Or for that matter, if you're REALLY so scared of mechs, then why aren't you equally scared of flashlights which are mechanically identical to a mech mod? Tube, battery, "fire" button, a socket on top which you screw in a device that holds a metal coil or filament that heats up when an electrical current is applied. Do those scare you too?

A flashlight is the same basic design and can be affected the same way by the same flaws. Are they scary? Do you keep flashlights away from your wife and kids?

And for the record, my daughter has been shooting guns and rock climbing since she was 6. Excuse me if I think her mother is mature and capable enough to handle a simple mech mod.

BTW, your flashlight analogy is flawed. A flashlight has over current protection. It's called a lightbulb.

Completely Average

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 21, 2014
    Suburbs of Dallas
    I don't think I would allow my 6 year old great grandson to do Sister Superior (sub ohm vaping)

Scared people often don't want to allow others to do the things they are scared of.

I tell you what. I will relent on my position if you can do one simple thing.

edchosta1_02.jpg

Explain to me why this 18650 flashlight is mechanically different from an 18650 mech mod. Or explain to me why you think this flashlight is safe while the mech mod is dangerous when both are virtually identical mechanically.

Completely Average

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 21, 2014
    Suburbs of Dallas
    BTW, your flashlight analogy is flawed. A flashlight has over current protection. It's called a lightbulb.

A lightbulb is just a coil in a vacuum. Works exactly the same way, it's just smaller so it produces more light when it's heated.

6690103-0-large.jpg

Look familiar? Take away the glass bulb and add a wick and what do you get?

Dampmaskin

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 28, 2014
    Norway
    www.steam-engine.org
    Scared people often don't want to allow others to do the things they are scared of.

I tell you what. I will relent on my position if you can do one simple thing.

edchosta1_02.jpg

Explain to me why this 18650 flashlight is mechanically different from an 18650 mech mod. Or explain to me why you think this flashlight is safe while the mech mod is dangerous when both are virtually identical mechanically.

That flashlight has a constant current circuit. Mech mods don't have that.

It has reverse polarity protection. Mech mods typically don't have that either.

It has low voltage protection. Again, mech mods don't have that.

I guess this is where you relent on your position?

Completely Average

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 21, 2014
    Suburbs of Dallas
    I have several flashlights, but none of them are powered by lithium batteries. I'm not sure whether that makes me a coward, or just insane, but I'm sure you will gladly tell me.

It just means you have cheap flashlights.

Did you not know that the 18650 battery was developed for flashlights? In fact, the first mech mods were converted flashlights, and you can still get flashlight conversions.

Here, perhaps this will open your eyes a bit. See, we ecig users aren't the only ones who get into these things as a hobby. We simply adopted someone else's devices and hobby for our purposes.

Best single 18650 Flashlight

Completely Average

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 21, 2014
    Suburbs of Dallas
    That flashlight has a constant current circuit. Mech mods don't have that.

It has reverse polarity protection. Mech mods typically don't have that either.

It has low voltage protection. Again, mech mods don't have that.

I guess this is where you relent on your position?

That flashlight has NONE of those things.

It is a MECHANICAL flashlight. There are no electronics in it whatsoever. There is no polarity protection. Quite the opposite, it will work with either battery orientation. There is no voltage protection, no electronics, no fuses, nothing. And the "constant current circuit" is nothing more than a mechanical toggle switch. Press the button once to push the pin to the battery, press it again to release it.

I guess this is where I point out that you know even less about flashlights than you do mech mods.

Completely Average

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 21, 2014
    Suburbs of Dallas
    Last edited:

Dampmaskin

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 28, 2014
    Norway
    www.steam-engine.org
    That flashlight has NONE of those things.

It is a MECHANICAL flashlight. There are no electronics in it whatsoever.

That's not what the product page says.

Sure, list them, if you can prove that EVERY flashlight has them.

Moving the goalposts much?

Thank you. Why, I actually learned something: That the flashlight he gutted was an AAA battery powered flashlight. "Remove the AAA battery holder from the body." is one of the instructions.

Last edited:

Dampmaskin

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 28, 2014
    Norway
    www.steam-engine.org
    Ummm, why does the page you linked to show a different flashlight?

Trying to move the goalpost yourself a bit there?

No, I was simply trying to find the flashlight that you did not link to yourself. If I found the wrong one, surely someone as knowledgable as you can give me the correct link?

Update:
    Is this the product you were referring to?

That does not seem to be a complete flashlight. On the product page it's called a "Flashlight host", and it seems to be missing both the light source and the circuitry to drive it.

There is a certain difference between "a MECHANICAL flashlight" and an incomplete flashlight.

Last edited:

slappy3139

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 8, 2013
    New Iberia, LA, USA
    A lightbulb is just a coil in a vacuum. Works exactly the same way, it's just smaller so it produces more light when it's heated.

6690103-0-large.jpg

Look familiar? Take away the glass bulb and add a wick and what do you get?

And if there is an overcurrent, the tiny filament wire will blow opening the circuit, and you gotta replace bulb. Simple design

Credo

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 28, 2011
    MS
    If you're going to use a Kick with your mech you might as well get the Provari. Just sayin' :)

Big difference in $20-$50 to Kick mod(s) you already have, and $150+ for a new ProVari.

The Nemisis/Chi You/King/SingRay/etc. modular style makes a good low profile Kick platform. At less than 11cm long (and 22ish mm diameter...perfect flush mount with things like the Kayfun style tanks) you can regulate an 18650 and get adjustable air flow built into the Nemisis style mod (useful if you've any bottom air fed toppers). The Evolv Kick 2 version is also pretty powerful and flexible (15w and can take atties down to 0.5 Ohms). If 10 or 12 watts is enough, you can find similar form factor regulators for as little as $12.

I have nothing against a ProVari, but if you like and want a regulated power source, and have a mech or hybrid (no regulation built in) mod you like, the Kick 2 is well worth the money.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread