Status
Not open for further replies.

ancient puffer

EX PV Collector
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2011
Virginia, USA
I wanted to share this with REOville, so no one will do what I did, and potentially have a serious problem. I've always been careful to try not to do anything to compromise the safety mechanisms built into the REO, but I just discovered I've done just that, and vaped for weeks in a fool's paradise. I was lucky to realize what I'd done before any mishaps, but still...

I'd seen mention of recovering batteries to change the colors using PVC wraps, and decided to give them a try. What I didn't realize was that the tolerance for battery clearance (width wise) inside the REO is so tight, that adding even that small amount of extra width, would cause a problem.

The battery compartment in 1 of my 2 EDC grands is so tight that re-covering the battery resulted in the battery being unable to drop away from the positive contact, in the event of a short. Having discovered that fact, I've also removed the oval shaped "AW" sticker from my batteries.

I'm not sure if all REOs are that tight, but I figured I should mention it, just in case anyone else is running their REO without the builtin safety mechanism.

Please, folks, carefully assess any changes you make to your REO and make sure that whatever you're doing won't compromise the safety features.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming :)

ancient puffer

EX PV Collector
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2011
Virginia, USA
Hmm.. I've re wrapped all my new aw batts and even the Sony batts I was using before with the new black colored wrap right over the existing wrap and it fits just fine.

Well, not all REOs are identical, there's always *some* variation, and maybe yours is looser than mine, but if what I posted gets even one person to check theirs and discover a potential problem, I'm happy with that.

AllPepperS

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2014
Palm City, FL
yeah, thanks for posting that. I have noticed I am getting some small tears in the battery skins and was going to order some covers. I have 3 Grands and I have noticed they aren't all quite the same. Some of the doors fit a bit tighter on one or another. I also have a couple of Dready's and they seem to be maybe a bit tighter. Good heads up, I will be thinking about that when I recover them. AP, did you cover over the cover or skin it and start over?

custom-classic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 18, 2013
USA
I skin mine and start over...

Q3YxJ5B.jpg

KfQrHWH.jpg

I use the ones from RTD Vapor. Awesome wraps. :)

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
I wanted to share this with REOville, so no one will do what I did, and potentially have a serious problem. I've always been careful to try not to do anything to compromise the safety mechanisms built into the REO, but I just discovered I've done just that, and vaped for weeks in a fool's paradise. I was lucky to realize what I'd done before any mishaps, but still...

I'd seen mention of recovering batteries to change the colors using PVC wraps, and decided to give them a try. What I didn't realize was that the tolerance for battery clearance (width wise) inside the REO is so tight, that adding even that small amount of extra width, would cause a problem.

The battery compartment in 1 of my 2 EDC grands is so tight that re-covering the battery resulted in the battery being unable to drop away from the positive contact, in the event of a short. Having discovered that fact, I've also removed the oval shaped "AW" sticker from my batteries.

I'm not sure if all REOs are that tight, but I figured I should mention it, just in case anyone else is running their REO without the builtin safety mechanism.

Please, folks, carefully assess any changes you make to your REO and make sure that whatever you're doing won't compromise the safety features.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming :)

Awesome heads up! Good info. I've never needed to re wrap a battery; but a good thing to keep in mind.

ancient puffer

EX PV Collector
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2011
Virginia, USA
yeah, thanks for posting that. I have noticed I am getting some small tears in the battery skins and was going to order some covers. I have 3 Grands and I have noticed they aren't all quite the same. Some of the doors fit a bit tighter on one or another. I also have a couple of Dready's and they seem to be maybe a bit tighter. Good heads up, I will be thinking about that when I recover them. AP, did you cover over the cover or skin it and start over?

I just covered over the original wrap, which, in retrospect, probably wasn't the brightest idea I ever had *sigh*

element77

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2012
Atl, Ga
I had juice get behind my batteries. A guy at a local shop informed me I was using a vented and unsafe battery.
He then began slicing one of his covers and replacing it with a fresh one, to which I though...what?! I didn't know you could change the color.
Perfect time to slice mine and rewrap in a complimentary and non juice stained color.
He "confirmed" it was indeed juice and apologized for the jump to conclusions of my "unsafe" practice using "vented out" batteries.
It was a win/win.
He was schooled on assumptions of others "unsafe" practices and I was enlightened to an easy solution.
He also listened when I explained ohms law and continuous discharge ampe ratings.

FWIW: I made no direct accusations of his "safety" only noted the inherent flaw of not knowing the best way to gauge amp draw while he "only vapes at .3 absolute highest to .05 regularly"

P.S. that's not a typo! .05Ω!!! WTF!!

p.s.s Reoville and ECF kickayuss!! Thank you everyone for all the information you share with me daily here in lurkdom

d4gger

ECF Veteran
Nov 25, 2014
Hattiesburg, MS, USA
o_O .05ohm? Heavens I hope he's on 26650s.. VTC series cells need active cooling (no mod has this) below .23ish ohms, and I doubt any of the widely-available 18650 cells honestly beat VTCs for ridiculously high amp draw. And using a vented battery.. pretty sure that's impossible?

So far as rewrapping cells goes, I do so anytime I notice a scratch through the wrap - peel old wrap, cut new wrap, wish I had a heat gun while the blow drier does its magic. The major safety note is to be sure not to get anything conductive near the positive end of the cell while it's stripped.

AllPepperS

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2014
Palm City, FL
as far as skinning goes, what's the safest way to to it. Can you simply peel it with your fingers and then slide the new cover on? add heat, how hard is shaping the ends? Sounds very much like heat shrink for wires. Guess I need to do a uTube search I am betting theres a vid out there, there's a video of everything there :eek:

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
A recent "no thank you ma'am" along the same lines I recently ran into was finally taking the time to try the square Japanese soy sauce bottle mod in a couple of my Mini 2.1's. They are such a tight fit I actually had to push on the bottles to slide the doors back on, push batts in and then realized "pry" them back out. No way the batts could have dropped with a dropped spring. So out with them and back to stock 3ml bottles for me (that I refill up to 5 times a day on a couple of the Mini/Chalice with favored liquids).

I know some use and like the square bottle mods, so it might be the brand of the 2 dozen I bought that's the issue. Beware of those made in China for Daiso Japan (0.2 OZ/5.9ml).

Reactions: Debadoo

d4gger

ECF Veteran
Nov 25, 2014
Hattiesburg, MS, USA
as far as skinning goes, what's the safest way to to it. Can you simply peel it with your fingers and then slide the new cover on? add heat, how hard is shaping the ends? Sounds very much like heat shrink for wires. Guess I need to do a uTube search I am betting theres a vid out there, there's a video of everything there :eek:

I very carefully make a small notch at the negative end with scissors, then use my fingernails to tear that notch the rest of the way. The new wrap needs to be about 2mm overhanging each end of the battery, and there's a little paper insulator at the positive end to get back where it came from.

d4gger

ECF Veteran
Nov 25, 2014
Hattiesburg, MS, USA
What? or is this something I will see when I actually do it?

Just work on a clean (no clutter to lose little stuff in) desk and don't throw away the old wrap until you're done. The paper insulator on my Sony and Samsung flat-tops is about 16mm OD 10-12mm ID and less than 1mm thick. I dunno what purpose it truly accomplishes, but apparently it needs to be there. The insulator goes between the positive end of the skinned battery and the wrap, so you put the insulator centered on top of the battery and shrink the wrap to it.

Robinowitz

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2013
No. Cal.
Thanks AP for your post and education tips. Before now, I didn't even know there were batteries wraps (used with caution of course). I had at one time thought of using a permanent marker on one of my batts for use in my SL....never even considered wraps. Perhaps for now, I'll just embrace that orange color that is emanating from my red SL. Better safe than sorry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread