Status
Not open for further replies.

horton

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2010
Left Side of Florida
Has anyone tried using the saddle taps used for refrigerator ice makers to punch the holes in their tank cartos? I'd like to hear from peeps who have tried it and how well it worked. I'm thinking of giving it a try, but wanted to get a feel for how successful the technique is.
I'm glad to see that Stormy has stayed with the cartos that don't have that darn silver tape on them. That just makes for more problems. I've yet to figure out why the mfg. has to put silver tape on a tube that is already a nice silver "color".

K*Rose

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2011
South Jersey
The saddle valve is all I use to punch my cartos. For $6.99 at Home Depot I couldn't ask for anything more. They work awesome. After about, 50 punches or so the point starts to get dull and it slides along the side of the carto. So, I replace it when this happens. Also, what brand cartos have you used that have silver tape on them. I only use Boge stainless steel cartos and they don't even offer them with silver tape. They either come in stainless steel or with the black tape.

horton

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2010
Left Side of Florida
I can't say where they came from, but suffice to say that I've had to peel off very shiny silver tape from several boxes of cartos and then clean with either isopropyl or acetone. Right now, only one vendor comes to mind. They did come in the same looking box as my other CE2's which seemed even odder to me.
I know that people put the CE2's down, but they are my favs currently. I don't mind fiddling with them one bit to tune them up a touch. They are so reliable -- I have several that have been in use for months now. Can't beat that.
Thanks for the tip about the point becoming dull over time. For the price, it's not a problem to replace it. Wonder if one could carefully use a Dremel to resharpen the point?

K*Rose

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2011
South Jersey
I can't say where they came from, but suffice to say that I've had to peel off very shiny silver tape from several boxes of cartos and then clean with either isopropyl or acetone. Right now, only one vendor comes to mind. They did come in the same looking box as my other CE2's which seemed even odder to me.
I know that people put the CE2's down, but they are my favs currently. I don't mind fiddling with them one bit to tune them up a touch. They are so reliable -- I have several that have been in use for months now. Can't beat that.
Thanks for the tip about the point becoming dull over time. For the price, it's not a problem to replace it. Wonder if one could carefully use a Dremel to resharpen the point?

Have you tried the Boge Cartos? I feel that they are the most consistant vapes and are affordable enough to go through them as fast as I do. I'm sure it's possible to sharpen the point with a dremel, but, for $7, ehh!

horton

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2010
Left Side of Florida
I tried the Boges a long time ago, and think it's time to try them again. I'm sure they have improved since I first used one. And I do agree that they certainly are affordable, especially when Stormy has them on sale. I am a heavy vaper and go through cartos quickly, but do try to clean and reuse as many as I can. (that's what got me on the CE2's -- ease of cleaning)
You have a very good point about the Dremel. Being a pack rat, I have such a hard time throwing something away...lol. I still have broken haybine shields from my farming days... how's that for silly?
I also want to give some of the dual coil cartos a try, but I need to do a little math to see if I can use them safely on my ProVari. I have some box mods I made with 14500 batteries that I think they would work on though if I can't use them on my 'Vari. I really like the looks and capacity of the SmokeTech Dual Coil tank Stormy is offering.

K*Rose

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2011
South Jersey
I tried the Boges a long time ago, and think it's time to try them again. I'm sure they have improved since I first used one. And I do agree that they certainly are affordable, especially when Stormy has them on sale. I am a heavy vaper and go through cartos quickly, but do try to clean and reuse as many as I can. (that's what got me on the CE2's -- ease of cleaning)
You have a very good point about the Dremel. Being a pack rat, I have such a hard time throwing something away...lol. I still have broken haybine shields from my farming days... how's that for silly?
I also want to give some of the dual coil cartos a try, but I need to do a little math to see if I can use them safely on my ProVari. I have some box mods I made with 14500 batteries that I think they would work on though if I can't use them on my 'Vari. I really like the looks and capacity of the SmokeTech Dual Coil Tank Stormy is offering.
I ran them on my Provari, when I still had it. You just can run it over 4.2. I am not a fan of the dual coils in a tank. There is too much juice spitting at me with them, just my opinion. I do like them out of a tank though.

MustangSallie

Mistress Blabber Mouth
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
USA
I use this type of saddle valve: Saddle Valve, Self Tapping - FreshWaterSystems.com

I think it's easier than the other type with two screws on either side of the saddle, and the carto fits perfectly. It takes me 30 seconds or less to double punch a carto and they work great in my tanks. I found some offered on eBay for $2.95 + $2.90 for shipping.

K*Rose

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2011
South Jersey
I use this type of saddle valve: Saddle Valve, Self Tapping - FreshWaterSystems.com

I think it's easier than the other type with two screws on either side of the saddle, and the carto fits perfectly. It takes me 30 seconds or less to double punch a carto and they work great in my tanks. I found some offered on eBay for $2.95 + $2.90 for shipping.
I have been wanting to try this one, Sallie! It does look much easier.

MustangSallie

Mistress Blabber Mouth
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
USA
I highly recommend it K, they work great! Just keep turning until you hear the carto pop and make one more complete turn and you have a perfect hole. I think it might even stop before you over punch, but I keep forgetting to test that on a used carto.

I even marked where on the saddle I need to sit the carto so I don't even have to mark the cartos anymore. I just used blue painters tape to mark the line.

Last edited:

CloudBurst

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2009
Georgia, USA
Sorry all, Horton is my supplier associate, I am Stormy. ;)
Haven't had time to formally make the announcement. He's a great guy with over a year of vaping experience and I expect he'll be a big help to all of us here on the forum.
About the DC tanks, I had noticed the spitting also but with the new ones, the hole is very small. It seems to make a big difference. What I like is that the filler doesn't get all soggy and break down. After the first fill, I haven't even filled the carto, just the tank. I would think this will prolong the life of the carto. I used to throw them away when the filler was broken down. I've heard that others are happy when they get a week out of them and end up throwing them out before they actually die.
I'll keep you posted but when I look at the one in my tank, it still looks new after a week of use, the one not in a tank looks like the filler is loose and turning dark from the juice. I'm testing to see how long the carto lasts.

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
Thanks for pointing out this saddle valve. Yep! Still available at low price / low shipping on ebay. I just purchased one.

Ebay - Self Tapping Saddle Valve

MJBinNM

ECF Veteran
Feb 12, 2011
New Mexico
Stormy...glad to see you got a supplier forum, congrats!

Horton...

If you're using CE2 XLs in a tank, you might want to try the Arry CE2 Tank that Stormy sells. These take the clear CE2 guts, just remove the CE2 guts from the clear carto tube and push it into one of the end caps. No carto punching or cutting required.

I have a couple of these and love 'em.

horton

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2010
Left Side of Florida
Thanks for the heads up MJB..... I've been looking at the Arry and I have a bunch of CE2 XL "guts" just sitting. I agree that it would be a great idea. The less work involved, the happier I am.....lol. I was a big fan of the clearos until I started getting so many cracked ones. I've tried the thicker tubed ones as well, but they just don't seem to be the same to me. Think I'm gonna go with your advice and give the Arry a go....... Thanks again.... horton

MJBinNM

ECF Veteran
Feb 12, 2011
New Mexico
Thanks for the heads up MJB..... I've been looking at the Arry and I have a bunch of CE2 XL "guts" just sitting. I agree that it would be a great idea. The less work involved, the happier I am.....lol. I was a big fan of the clearos until I started getting so many cracked ones. I've tried the thicker tubed ones as well, but they just don't seem to be the same to me. Think I'm gonna go with your advice and give the Arry a go....... Thanks again.... horton

I really like the Arry Tank, just way too easy to use. I got tired of doing the syringe tube mods, I also made some homemade tanks that worked ok, but the Arry is just so much nicer. I still have a bunch of the old skinny wick CE2s that still work and use them in it. Stormy also sells new o-rings for the clearos (there were extras supplied with the tanks) which I've had to use on a couple older cartos...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread