Purple efest 18650 battery warning

Status
Not open for further replies.

NicksCloud

Verified Member
May 13, 2014
USA
Link to article.

The IMR 18650 2500 mAh EFEST announced for the 35A continuous discharge, are actually LG cells supporting a peak value of 35A but a 20A continuous discharge.

EFEST recurred, this time more dangerous, announcing Labelling its 3100mAh battery continuous discharge 20A, thus supporting theoretically securely 0.25 ohm resistors. Dampfakku a mis en évidence que ces Efest Purple 20A sont en fait des cellules panasonic supportant une décharge continue de 4A (!), et maximale (donc pendant une courte durée), de 6,4A. La limite pour les résistances afin de vaper en toute sécurité avec ces batteries n'est donc pas de 0.25 ohm mais plutôt au dessus de 0.8ohm … ce qui nous fait quand même une sacrée différence. Dampfakku showed that these Efest Purple 20A are actually Panasonic continuous discharge cells supporting 4A (!) And maximum (and therefore for a short time), 6.4 A. The limit for the resistors in order to vaper safely with these batteries is not 0.25 ohm but above 0.8ohm ... what makes us still a big difference. Les cellules utilisées par les EFEST 3100mAh « 20A » sont celles des Panasonic NCR18650BE The cells used by EFEST 3100mAh "20A" are those of Panasonic NCR18650BE

Once again testing DampfAkkus are final .

D'une manière générale, sachez que plus la capacité (en mAh) augmente, plus la capacité réelle en décharge continue diminue. In general, note that the larger the capacity (mAh) increases, the actual discharge capacity decreases continuously. Ne vous laissez donc surtout pas berner par l'étiquetage de ces batteries. So do not be fooled by especially let the labeling of batteries.

Note, the link has a battery chart showing the relevant information.

anumber1

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2014
NW Ohio
Efest does seem to have a fanbase that is for sure but to possibly be labeling a 4 amp battery as a 20 amp? Wow. Just wow.

I would like to see some confirmation but I have no reason to doubt the source either. That site has been a source of accurate information for quite some time.

Personally, I don't think I can take any efest spec seriously at this point however.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Efest does seem to have a fanbase that is for sure but to possibly be labeling a 4 amp battery as a 20 amp? Wow. Just wow.

I would like to see some confirmation but I have no reason to doubt the source either. That site has been a source of accurate information for quite some time.

Personally, I don't think I can take any efest spec seriously at this point however.

I'm not a efest Fanboi or an efest Hater.

But I have Noticed over the Last Year of so, there seems to have been Many Reports of eFest Problems as apposed to something like an AW or a Panasonic or a Sony in the same Class.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
This is old news to me.

I've been cautioning vapers for months here on ECF that Efest (and vendor resellers) has a history of exaggerating the specs of ohms and amps on their battery spec sheets. Much like the exaggerated specs that Trustfire, Ultrafire, and Surefire do for their batteries, once independent testers bench test the batteries or unwrap the batteries to see what is beneath the skin, the advertised specs are proven to be exaggerated.

I wasn't surprised to find out that the purple Efest 2100mah 30 amp battery was a re-wrapped Sony 2100mah 30 amp battery. Nothing wrong with that, as many manufacturers re-wrap cells made by other manufacturers (ie AW and Orbtronics).

EfestSony.jpg Purple Efest 30 amp battery is same cell as Sony VTC4 30 amp battery

Purple Efest 30 & 35 amp batteries?

However, when Efest labels their purple 2600mah battery as being a 35 amp battery, and then we find out that it is a LG18650HE2 battery (which LG claims has only a 20 amp continuous amp rating), then that's being disreputable and deceiving in my mind. These batteries are being marketed to vapers who sub-ohm and there's a big difference in 20 and 35 amps; especially if someone is counting on those extra 15 amps as a safety cushion.

The EH brand 18650 2500mAh advertised at 35A are also rebranded LG18650HE2 20A.

Now the above revelation that the purple Efest 3100 mah advertised to have 20 amps is found to have only 4 - 6 amps continuous is even more appalling.

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Here's where I'm confused.

Is it Efest that is turning out some Batteries that Aren't what they are Supposed to be? Or is this a Story about someone getting their hands on an el-Fack-O Battery?
I doubt that they are fake Efests being tested. This is occuring with three different models of purple Efest batteries. When researching battery specs for my blog I found that Efest was the one manufacturer who had the most discrepancies. Even the flashlight enthusiasts were finding exaggerated battery specs with their independent bench testing. It was like Efest themselves didn't know the specs.

Last edited:

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I doubt that they are fake Efests being tested. This is occuring with three different models of purple Efest batteries. When researching battery specs for my blog I found that Efest was the one manufacturer who had the most discrepancies. It was like Efest themselves didn't know the specs. Even the flashlight enthusiasts were finding exaggerated battery specs with their independent bench testing.

Hard to know for sure Exactly what is Going On.

But it is Very Troubling at best.

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois
This is not "new" news... This has been discussed for months now in the forum. I have seen Baditude post his findings over a dozen times in as many threads. If it weren't for him this info would've been lost in some old post somewhere. It's great that he re-posts this info, and I think he will continue to do so. I think he is the utmost authority on batteries here in this forum. He has done some great research on batteries and keeps us all up to date on the ins and outs of them all. I have a few of the older Efest batteries and don't use them anymore. I "personally" place Efest in the same category as the manufacturers with the word "fire" in their name... They would be ok to use in a flashlight, but not an ecig!!!

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Maybe we ought to start linking this thread in any post where someone is wanting to know about Efest batts. That might get the word out to be cautious about buying Efest batts, especially for those wanting to sub ohm.

I've been posting this information myself for the last few months. But it is not my job to be the town cryer for this board. Everyone should warn others who are using Efest or considering buying Efest batteries that what is advertised may not be what you will get.

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois
Can we sticky this thread to warn others?

Max. Continuous Discharge Current 3.636A

View attachment 360593

Why would you post the specs for a Panasonic NCR18650BE in an Efest discussion thread? Just FYI, the "E" in is for economy, and that would be the first sign you shouldn't use it in any ecig if you are trying to vape safely...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread