Purple efest 18650 battery warning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry guys for the necroing here, but i feel there should be some justification happening around the Efest 3100mah battery. Too much paranoia has been written about these batteries, and almost exclusively people have been quoting 1 person (i say ONE person) test results. I myself fully believe the 3100MAH batteries are great batteries (i use them in my DNA 30 mod but have been using it in my mech too) and people shouldn't be discerned buying them because some - scared to death - people don't advice them. Look if you are really in to sub ohm, go for Sony VCT4/5 (or Samsung i guess) but most people should get plently out of this battery.

I have vaped 0.5 ohm with this battery and it didn't heat up (in a mech mod with the magma dripper). I have seen several unwrapped efest batteries, NONE were rewrapped batteries. After reading so much in to it (as i myself got scared reading some topics here) i really came to the conclusion that these batteries are safe, prob have 20a continues discharge and can easily put out 35a pulse discharge (which is really the only thing worth mentioning when talking about vaping). For your VW/WW mod, this battery BEATS Sony's battery (from my own experience), for Mech mod its okay but VCT4 (or 5, i own 2 4's), would probably be better. Heck i'm not even sure about that. Anyways as i have read, these batteries can put out waaaaaaaay more then 35a PULSE discharge (though only for a few seconds, but them again that is what we do!). No one is firing their mech mod for more then 30 seconds (hell 10 seconds prob max and that is one heck of a lung inhale). Most of the time its a few seconds and i fully believe this battery can take it. Why do i say that? Because i own this battery for a few months now, nothing happened.

The biggest issue i think (also what that German dude from that website probably had) are FAKE Efest batteries. I think if you unwrap it, and it aint a clean tin colored battery, but a rewrapped one, you my friend have a fake one. People who only got 3a or w/e out of this, probably had the panasonic one and not a 'original' efest.

And at last, do NOT read to much about this battery, because you will become as paranoia as the folks who are scaring people away with their nonsense (there i said it). Yes safety comes first but people come with no real evidence trying to claim things they haven't experienced themself. Let the first one come whose battery got vented (with evidence showing it wasn't his fault like a faulty mech/way to low ohms etc) and i would agree. I mean this battery lasted me the day (from 11 am to 9pm exclusively), the VCT4 doesn't last that long.

p.s. i am NOT an engineer or some sort (actually i am in the healthcare lol), so you don't have to believe my word. All i am saying is don't believe the german site either, because that test/battery was bogus (bogus i tell ya!) and those who used the Efest battery pretty much ALL only have positive comments (well besides the few 'VCT4 feels like it hits better' comments).

Last edited:

pnyc

ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
xXx
The biggest issue i think (also what that German dude from that website probably had) are FAKE Efest batteries. I think if you unwrap it, and it aint a clean tin colored battery, but a rewrapped one, you my friend have a fake one. People who only got 3a or w/e out of this, probably had the panasonic one and not a 'original' efest.

If you read closely in the review site, the review sample was obtained from an official Efest dealer in Germany so it ruled out the possibility of a fake.

What about this site then? Which is then more reliable? I have been stressing OUT yesterday because after i adviced a friend to buy this battery (since it worked for me and its cheaper then the sony battery), then i started reading the controversion about this battery.

But then...it comes down to two sides =/ One who says its 20a pulse discharge, other who says its 3a continues (so would be 6a pulse or something). One side who owns it, are happy and have reported vaping on it with 0.2 ohm nothing going wrong. Others...well others are just scarey cats in my eyes since obviously they don't talk about first hand experience =/ And eventually that made me mad, because its just scare mongering.

dwcraig1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Imperial Beach, California
^^^ First forget about that early story,maybe true maybe not, but it was maybe a mess up at the factory with a new employee, who knows?
I pulse tested these cells and got 33 amps from them. I believe they are Panasonic NCR18650 PF cells even though the Panasonic are rated at 2900 mah.
I would only go as low as 0.35Ω with a mechanical, at least that is as low as I will suggest. Consider them 10 amp continuous and 18 amp pulsed. This cell is great for regulated mods up the 30 watts, it is a quality cell. The link in your post is a reputable site for testing batts, one of the best.
The best value on a good cell nowadays is probably going to be the LG HE2 or HE4

Last edited:

finepics

Dec 29, 2014
What about this site then? Which is then more reliable? I have been stressing OUT yesterday because after i adviced a friend to buy this battery (since it worked for me and its cheaper then the sony battery), then i started reading the controversion about this battery.

But then...it comes down to two sides =/ One who says its 20a pulse discharge, other who says its 3a continues (so would be 6a pulse or something). One side who owns it, are happy and have reported vaping on it with 0.2 ohm nothing going wrong. Others...well others are just scarey cats in my eyes since obviously they don't talk about first hand experience =/ And eventually that made me mad, because its just scare mongering.

I posted the photos of the unwrapped eFest about 2 months ago now. I'm not sub ohming but running at 1ohm on a SquapeR and VA Phenom mod, and have been since I got them. All I can say is they've been working faultlessly. They barely get warm when charging in my Nitecore D4 and give me about 2 days normal usage. Happy days for me!!

DomDoobie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2015
Staten Island New York
You know it seems like everyone has an opinion. I'm not bashing either. Some people post things with good intentions of being helpful. With ALL products people have good and bad experiences. So it seems like the person who started this post was just trying to be helpful. That's good in my opinion. If there is something dangerous we should know about it and investigate it further. I remember when I bought these batteries. The guy in the local vape shop said "oh those are the worst batteries out there" well, they have been the best for me. I got mine from sweet-vapes.com. They have good prices and are reputable. In most cases if someone has a bad experience they will tell the world. But when people have good experiences they only tell a few people. So as always it's whatever works for you !

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com

Well lytge-info agrees with dampfakkus that these aren't 20 amp batteries.

kkay59

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2014
I won't be buying any more purple Efest batteries. I have two with button top, and one flat battery. They came from a reputable dealer. The flat one, I juiced it up on a proper battery charger. The first time I used it on a mech, it did not hold it's charge worth a flip. (I was NOT sub ohming either) Normally I can go for quite some time on a battery for my mech. This one lost it's charge way sooner than I thought. Good thing I checked it. I am going to throw it away. It is just not worth the risk. I have 3 other battery brands, and they are comparable in voltage drop over a certain time frame. I was using the button tops strictly on the Panzer mod, and they seem fine. But now I am not sure whether I want to use them again, or not. They don't fit in my other mods, they are too big.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I use a couple of button top Purple Efest 2100 mAh 30 amp batteries, but only because I know they are re-wrapped Sony VTC4's.

I'm not real fond of Efest as a company. They often over-state their batteries' specs (mAh and amps). I believe some of their batteries are inferior to other brands; at the very least they are inconsistant.

I purchased a couple of red Efest 14500 IMR's for my daughter's AltSmoke BB mech mod, and a couple of Efest 18350 IMR's for my mini Provari some time back. I put my batteries in a rotation with some AW 18350 I was using, and the Efests began to drop their charge prematurely after a couple of weeks use -- they were disposed of as not worthy. By chance, my daughter complained of the same thing with her batteries, too. I ended up giving her my AW 14500 IMR batteries I had for my own BB.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada

That review site is very reputable and is the first place I check if I want a battery or charger review. He figures it's a good 10A continuous battery and I believe him.

OTOH, Efest can change what they put in their 'IMR18650 3100mAh (Purple)' any time they feel like it and they do not need to tell us about it because they did not specify which battery it actually is in the first place. It was reviewed by lygte-info.dk as a "Efest IMR18650 3100mAh (Purple) 2014". IMO the year was in the description for a reason :)

I really appreciate when people let us know what they find out about stuff and what their opinions are, specially when there could be a safety issue for us. Yes, not everyone knows the difference between opinion and fact and not everyone knows enough about the subject to know the difference in the first place, but I can make my own mind up about that. I also appreciate hearing about first hand experiences, but that also has to be taken with the full picture in mind and some knowledge of the subject for it to be useful.

I sometimes vape mechanical mods at a bit under 0.20 ohms. I've done that with HE2's and 25R's, but 99% of the time it's with VTC's. I would not use a Efest, a MXJO, a Subohmcell, or batts from any of the other suppliers that re-wrap other manufacturer's cells for that, so I don't buy any of those. Doing this saves me money on batteries and also assures me that I know what my batteries are.

That works for me, but as with almost everything in life, YMMV ;). IMO, do the research you feel is appropriate, stop before you go into data overload, make up your own mind, stay within your comfort zone and vape on.

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
I use a couple of button top Purple Efest 2100 mAh 30 amp batteries, but only because I know they are re-wrapped Sony VTC4's.

I'm not real fond of Efest as a company. They often over-state their batteries' specs (mAh and amps). I believe some of their batteries are inferior to other brands; at the very least they are inconsistant.

I purchased a couple of red Efest 14500 IMR's for my daughter's AltSmoke BB mech mod, and a couple of Efest 18350 IMR's for my mini Provari some time back. I put my batteries in a rotation with some AW 18350 I was using, and the Efests began to drop their charge prematurely after a couple of weeks use -- they were disposed of as not worthy. By chance, my daughter complained of the same thing with her batteries, too. I ended up giving her my AW 14500 IMR batteries I had for my own BB.
When it comes to 18650s we have plenty of well-reputed manufacturers and batteries to choose from. 18500s, 18350s, and others, not so much. The AWs have a really good reputation, but I still want to know who makes the 18350s and 18500s we use. My batteries perform well, but I'll never feel perfectly safe until I know what those batteries actually are.

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
I really appreciate when people let us know what they find out about stuff and what their opinions are, specially when there could be a safety issue for us. /QUOTE]

I agree with all of your post, but particularly want to emphasize this (that I feel is implicit in your post). There's a lot of "this has worked perfectly fine for me, no problems pushing it over 25+ amps". Such individual experiences don't mean much, we need to pay more attention to actual tests.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread