Status
Not open for further replies.

lettucehead

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2012
Indiana
So I was driving home from work today in stop-and-go traffic vaping on my full-sized Lavatube with an Ego Vision Clearomizer when I noticed the car next me had several young women in it who were giggling and pointing at me.

I looked around, thinking I had the end of my dress hanging out the car door, or left my bag on the roof, but I couldn't see what was so amusing.
I just kind of smiled at them and gave a little wave.
This seemed to amuse them further and they broke out in a fresh bout of giggles.

The traffic cleared a bit and I lost them, but we ended up next to each other at the next stop light.
It was the same thing - they were shooting glances at me and then giggling.

Finally, one of them rolled down the window and made motions for me to roll down mine.
Then she called out, 'What IS that?'
I told her, 'An electronic vaporizer.'
She actually looked disappointed. 'Oh, I thought it was for smoking (OTHER STUFF).'

What?!
Has this happened to other people before?
Am I going to need to prepare a response to people who think this and say something?
Do I need to worry about giving the wrong impression?
How do I prevent this? (Besides general public education?)

I guess I could hang a large sign from my car window saying, 'Vaper Inside!'

Last edited by a moderator:

Scaralouche

ECF Veteran
Jul 11, 2009
Issaquah, WA
The quality of peoples' breeding always shows through in some way. back when i first started, i always heard "any way you can put [insert illegal drug] in that thing? huh huh! huh huh! cool!" and i just scoffed at them and walked away. i dont think that has changed in a few years, but now that esmoking is more prevalent, i can tolerate vaping in front of others.

ignorant people are going to be around us in all situations, its just something we have to cope with.

i do like your story though!where i live though, you ought not look at other people at stoplights lol. :D

MickeyRat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2011
Hickory, NC
When I'm at home or on a long trip, I sometimes use a buzz pro with a DOD on it. One time on a trip my wife starts laughing and there's a car full of young men next to me giving me thumbs up. I thought it was hilarious. Didn't bother me in the least.

The buzz is the one on the right:

My_PVs.jpg

TigerLadyTX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2012
Garland, TX
A few weeks ago, while sitting at a traffic light, (I was driving), hubby, (who was my passenger), muttered something about the "idiot in the next car. I looked over and there was a teenage boy in the back seat with his parents, (I assume), in the front seat. That boy was grinning from ear to ear like a lunatic. Whenever I took another hit off of my Lewis Gentry Indulgence mod, his grin got even bigger. After a few seconds of this, I finally rolled down the window and yelled out to him that it was an electronic cigarette and not something illegal. His face fell. Seriously - the boy looked highly disappointed. His Mom hollered back at me, "what did you say it was??" I hollered back, enunciating as clearly as I could, "ELECTRONIC CIGARETTE!!" She turned around and bopped the boy on top of the head and told him, loudly enough that I could clearly hear it - "THAT'S what you should be smoking, you idiot!".

I laughed, my husband laughed.... the light turned green, and off we drove.

Now as I have absolutely zero peripheral vision, it is possible that I am frequently subjected to this type of scrutiny. But since I generally do not see it, I am for the most part, completely oblivious to it so I have no clue what most people thing that I am doing, nor do I really care.

~Tiger

TigerLadyTX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2012
Garland, TX
My mirrors are modified and I can use them to see just fine when I need to change lanes. I am also very capable of turning my head to look to see if there is something coming my way that should not be there. My car also has sensors that beep if something gets too close to the sides of it. I have never had an at fault accident, nor have I had a ticket - of any sort - and I have been driving now for 38 years. My driving is no more dangerous than that of a deaf person driving. So don't make assumptions - you know what they say about those, don't you?

~Tiger

no peripheral vision and driving? sounds safe

ohai

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 6, 2012
Wichita, KS, United States
A few weeks ago, while sitting at a traffic light, (I was driving), hubby, (who was my passenger), muttered something about the "idiot in the next car. I looked over and there was a teenage boy in the back seat with his parents, (I assume), in the front seat. That boy was grinning from ear to ear like a lunatic. Whenever I took another hit off of my Lewis Gentry Indulgence mod, his grin got even bigger. After a few seconds of this, I finally rolled down the window and yelled out to him that it was an electronic cigarette and not something illegal. (...)

You ruined that kid's whole day, you know.

:lol:

iamtumus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2012
New Haven, Connecticut
My mirrors are modified and I can use them to see just fine when I need to change lanes. I am also very capable of turning my head to look to see if there is something coming my way that should not be there. My car also has sensors that beep if something gets too close to the sides of it. I have never had an at fault accident, nor have I had a ticket - of any sort - and I have been driving now for 38 years. My driving is no more dangerous than that of a deaf person driving. So don't make assumptions - you know what they say about those, don't you?

~Tiger

i just stated how it sounds. never did i make an assumption about it.
i'm sorry if i offended at all, i wasn't trying to state you couldn't be a good driver :)

KDude

ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2012
Texas
lol.. funny story..

This probably sounds lame, but I kind of think like these girls. Not necessarily a (Other Item) assocation, but I think the typical image of a mod is laughable and a bit bizarre (even if I have one). If I had an image to promote vaping, it wouldn't be that. Nor would it be cig shaped ones. I think egos and similar devices kind of have something right. Box mods are kind of cool too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread