Car windows get a coating

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
I have the same problem in the winter, and generally refuse to drive with the window down once it gets below zero. It's also hard to wash the inside of the window once it gets really cold. What has worked best for me is keeping the defroster on high to keep the vapor blown away from the windows, and keeping clean old terrycloth towels in the car to use when a wipe down is needed.

The film drove me nuts last winter. Cleaning the windshield in the morning after my car has been in the garage overnight is no problem, but when the Windex freezes while I am at work or when it freezes as soon as it hits the glass is a nightmare. I keep a roll of blue mechanics towels in the car as the film will wipe clean without cleaner, if it hasn't accumulated too much...

Invisible glass only goes so far IMexperiences. I just cleaned my interior last week with invisible glass in the aerosol form and had to go over it several times to get it completely clean. The effects, as you stated are worse at night after turning on your headlights and peering out the window at different angles. Nothing is worse than realizing you missed about five different streaky spots that are 'almost' clean :p

The only product that works and absolutely kills dirt and that 'grimey film' on the inside is this industrial stuff that comes in a blue and white can. It produces a thick white foam when sprayed on and smells like fish. I can't remember the name of it but it's difficult to find in my area now, used to be everywhere..

Another trick that show car enthusiasts employ, as you mentioned, is to use newspaper to wipe instead of paper towels or microfibre cloths. They leave no residue unless they're really worn out after wiping a lot or sopping wet.

Last edited:

ukeman

PV Masher
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Kauai, Hawaii
I drive in hot weather year round (Hawaii) and get it all the time... A/C on but I crack a window when vaping.

I had an old Toyota Echo that I never changed the cabin filter and when you use the "inside air recirculation" it inhales you vapor too.
I think it effects the cabin filter because mine eventually disintegrated in there (after 13 yrs) and a nasty smell permeated the car until we took it out (not easy at that point) and cleaned in there.

be careful if you have tint on the windshield too...

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I cleaned all the windows in my pickup and my wife's car a couple of days ago. It's hard to tell until sun hits the windshield whether you have streaks. Both had some I couldn't see in the shade (where I like to do my waxing and polishing). A few minutes ago we took my wife's car to run an errand and sure enough, streaks were there. I cleaned hers in the garage with white vinegar and blue towels, followed up by a newspaper wipe down to take off the vinegar.

Morning sun will reveal whether I got it all.

Bigflyrodder

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2014
Boston, MA
Yup, know exactly what you mean with the film. I have found that regular window cleaner will just smear around and turn into a paste that dries and seems impossible to wipe off.

Someone suggested to me to use 50/50 water and plain old white vinager to cut through it and it works really well. I wash th windows with that then sometimes wash them again with window cleaner. Does the trick.

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
jGQU96R.png

The Torch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 12, 2012
Montreal
So whats your trick then? Everyone else has said they experience this. Is it cold in Montreal yet? Thats really the only time it gets bad.

Invisible glass in aerosol, cleaned the inside of the windshield about 4 times in a week using a clean microfiber cloth each time with a windshield wonder.

Then I found I still had a lot of glare at night or when driving towards the sun. My car is old so I figured the outside must be getting a little worn. I got some Auto Glym glass polish and scrubbed the outside of the windshield for about 15 minutes, then cleaned it with invisible glass with water repellent and It's almost like new.

I think that if you haven't got all the dirt off the inside of the windshield, stuff will cling to it much easier and sometimes what you think is on the inside is actually on the outside. I also always crack the window open when I vape at the wheel.

I also have a theory that maybe it's not PG or VG... perhaps some flavorings can cause foggy windows.

It's not very cold yet... average is 50F.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Invisible glass in aerosol, cleaned the inside of the windshield about 4 times in a week using a clean microfiber cloth each time with a windshield wonder.

Then I found I still had a lot of glare at night or when driving towards the sun. My car is old so I figured the outside must be getting a little worn. I got some Auto Glym glass polish and scrubbed the outside of the windshield for about 15 minutes, then cleaned it with invisible glass with water repellent and It's almost like new.

I think that if you haven't got all the dirt off the inside of the windshield, stuff will cling to it much easier and sometimes what you think is on the inside is actually on the outside. I also always crack the window open when I vape at the wheel.

I also have a theory that maybe it's not PG or VG... perhaps some flavorings can cause foggy windows.

It's not very cold yet... average is 50F.

Dollar Tree sells a microfiber towel stick cleaner for $1 that looks very similar to the Windshield Wonder cleaner. I use it on all the windows in my vehicles.

FWIW, I did the White Vinegar cleaning that Ginny suggested, followed by balled up newspaper to remove the vinegar. I drove it at night right afterwards and it seemed to take off the haze.

ETA: I've searched out haze on inside of vehicle glass and found that there's lots of folks having this problem and they are attributing it to outgassing of vinyl interior plastics and chemicals (like armor-all) that we rub on those plastics to keep them supple. One forum suggested that all the plastics have chemicals in them that keep the plastics soft and supple and those chemicals leach out and deposit themselves on the glass surfaces.

A number of posters have found that cleaning with a dry microfiber towel, turning it as they go, cleans off the haze. Then, you can clean with glass cleaner and dry with another microfiber towel and get clean glass.

It may not be a vaping problem, but a plastic materials problem with the stuff the manufacturers are using to keep the plastics from drying out and cracking.

Everyone gets that haze on the inside of the windows. It is a combination of things but mostly it is chemicals from the vinyl and plastic inside the car. Plasticizers keep them pliable and they leach out over time. That's why vinyl and plastic become brittle as they get older. There is no way to keep from getting this haze. You just have to keep cleaning it. - See more at: what is this hazy film on my windshield - Corvette Action Center - Corvette Forum

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread