PV's in film

Status
Not open for further replies.

DuncanDisordely

ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2011
London
Hi Guys!

I just had a thought... I've seen many (recent) films with actors smoking, sometimes child actors. And I've always wondered whether they were really smoking cigarettes like they were really legal age and a smoker, or whether with the laws the film companies couldnt ask them to do it....blah blah wonder wonder....

Anyway my thought just now was do they use PV's to circumvent these problems? With camera trickery it is entirely possible to make it look like they are smoking for real even down to the vape looking like smoke in the closeups etc, do they do this?

And if not - WHY NOT!!!

Love to all you happy vapers!

Dunx

Dirgon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2011
Saint Louis, Missouri, United States
I'd think underage actors using PVs on screen would hurt us more than help us. "Oh look!" says the impressionable 14 year old who smokes "Those are legal in my state!" (maybe not, you know, proper English, but I digress)

or "Heyyy that guy's my age and he's smoking in a movie. I can do it to!" to which, he's "smoking" legally due to the lack of age restriction in some states on PVs, and the kid seeing the flick thinks it's a real cig, and starts smoking.

Not that *I* personally believe that will happen. Kids don't do stuff because they saw it on TV, kids do stuff because they saw it on TV and weren't raised well enough to know it's a stupid idea. But ammo is ammo.

PVs need to hurry up and be banned for sale to minors, before more and more get their hands on them and f it up for the rest of us. Last thing we want is more ammo against us.

I've seen a movie w/ Johnny Depp vaping on a train, but that's about it.

DuncanDisordely

ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2011
London
I'd think underage actors using PVs on screen would hurt us more than help us. "Oh look!" says the impressionable 14 year old who smokes "Those are legal in my state!" (maybe not, you know, proper English, but I digress)

or "Heyyy that guy's my age and he's smoking in a movie. I can do it to!" to which, he's "smoking" legally due to the lack of age restriction in some states on PVs, and the kid seeing the flick thinks it's a real cig, and starts smoking.

Not that *I* personally believe that will happen. Kids don't do stuff because they saw it on TV, kids do stuff because they saw it on TV and weren't raised well enough to know it's a stupid idea. But ammo is ammo.

PVs need to hurry up and be banned for sale to minors, before more and more get their hands on them and f it up for the rest of us. Last thing we want is more ammo against us.

I've seen a movie w/ Johnny Depp vaping on a train, but that's about it.

no no I didnt mean child actor seen to be using PV's! i mean film directors using PV's to get around the problems of asking an actor to smoke for the part!

They can cut the pv out of the shot and make it look like they're really smoking. That was my point, are they and if not why not?

Dirgon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2011
Saint Louis, Missouri, United States
no no I didnt mean child actor seen to be using PV's! i mean film directors using PV's to get around the problems of asking an actor to smoke for the part!

They can cut the pv out of the shot and make it look like they're really smoking. That was my point, are they and if not why not?

Durp, sorry, I must have misunderstood you.

I'm pretty sure that's the reason I saw Johnny Depp using one in a flick, to get around him having to smoke for the part. Obviously that's only speculation, but it was my initial assumption.

DuncanDisordely

ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2011
London
Durp, sorry, I must have misunderstood you.

I'm pretty sure that's the reason I saw Johnny Depp using one in a flick, to get around him having to smoke for the part. Obviously that's only speculation, but it was my initial assumption.

no worries :)

maybe the depp'star quit smoking inbetween casting and filming? Would be very interesting to find out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread